Changing service provider

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrzyIcE, Jul 20, 2011.

1. CrzyIcE macrumors member

Hello,

So currently my 2 year plan for Verizon is ending next week and I was planning to change to AT&T with an iphone.

But there have been a lot of rumors going around that iphone 5 will be released this September/October.
    I don't have much experiences with phone plans and changing phones so I am assuming that if I do get a iphone 4 now, I won't be able to upgrade to iphone 5 until 2 years? (unless I buy the phone for full retail price?)

So I was wondering what would some of you do?
    Or is there even anything I can do to get the iphone 5?
    Because my family and I will switch plans next week guaranteed.

I already have a iphone 3GS currently with no contract attach to it.
    Is it possible for me to just open a line with no phone and use my iphone 3GS and in September/October, will I be eligible to upgrade to iphone 5 for the contract price?

Note: This is for a 4 line family plan.

Thank you for your help.

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You're generally stuck with a phone for 2 years unless you pay for an early upgrade. Get the iPhone 4 and then sell and buy the iPhone 5 outright when it comes out and sell the iPhone 4?

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I just threw in the answers to some of your questions in red

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

The iphone 5 release date has not been confirmed yet although the net is rife with rumor and speculation.

Yes Sep/Oct 11 has been discussed but so has Dec11 and early 2012 too.

Even the specs have not been confirmed yet !

The way I look at this is that if one always waited to see whats new out around the corner, then you would not actually buy anything !

The iphone 4 in my opinion wont lose a great deal of value when the iphone 5 is released, so the suggestion in an earlier reply to your post that you sell the iphone4 to fund a purchase an iphone5 is a sound one.

The iphone4 is an awesome phone and you will be happy with it.

5. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I'd just stay put till your contract expires and then decide if you want to switch. Odds are, both carriers will have the next version and you can decide if it's worth switching. Why buy last years phone when a new one is so close and will cost the same?

6. CrzyIcE thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, okay.

Thank you everyone for your input! I will think it over these past few days.

7. brapmac740 macrumors member

brapmac740

Same predicament I was just in. Didn't switch carriers though. Just couldn't keep using the unstable DROID phones....

I doubt a new iPhone will be revolutionary compared to the iPhone4. I think the next revolution leap will more likely than now have to be iPhone6 or whatever they decide to call it. And by that time your 2 year will be up. And Verizon is great about letting you upgrade yearly.

Every year I sign a 2 year contract and at 12 months i'm available upgrade through some stupid promotion!