Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tempomode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
Hello,

I have just purchased a new 16 MacBook Pro and I have plugged it in to the mains and tried to start it and I only see this screen after an hour of charging.

IMG_20200821_133303.jpg

It's not animated it and it goes off after 5 seconds. The trackpad is active and moving and if I press caps lock it lights up when the screen is displayed.

If I remove the cable I don't see that screen and the track pad is dead.

I never had to wait this long with my old 2015? And I'm sure the red on the battery flashed.

Can anyone confirm how long it takes before you can turn it on? I'm getting worried there is something wrong.

Thanks in advance.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I was able to turn mine on right away (actually, it booted automatically when I opened the lid). If you bought it from a nearby Apple store you should probably bring it back there.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Leave it plugged in for a half hour and try again
Are you sure the outlet has power?

tempomode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
Thanks everyone for the replies.

It seems there was some kind of fault with it straight out the box!

I checked the charger was working with my phone and then left the MacBook plugged in for over an hour and it still wouldn't turn on. So I've exchanged it.

michaelromanenko

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
Looks like its the same situation we were discussing in another thread. Unfortunately, it means, that it's, probably, faulty and you'll have to exchange it for another machine.

I had exactly the same case: not booting out of the box, tried to charge overnight, reset SMC, trackpad becomes responsive, when you plug it in — but no dice, it won't awake, there's something wrong with the circuit.

I wonder, did you buy it directly from Apple or from a reseller? I got my faulty one from B&H, then initiated the return and currently waiting for new one to arrive. But I decided to get the new one from Apple directly, despite the higher price tag.

tempomode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
Yes, it behaved exactly the same as discussed in that thread.

It was purchased from a reseller and the replacement so far is working okay.

Reactions: hallux
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.