Charger 85w causing macbook to crash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dikkind, May 7, 2016.

1. dikkind macrumors newbie

dikkind

Hi everybody,

The last 2 weeks my macbook pro 15" started randomly crashing. I spent the last 2 weeks figuring out what the problem is and it seems to me that my macbook charger is causing my macbook to crash.

when i connect the charger after +/- 5 min the computers screen goes black and the fans start to spin really fast and loud. after which the computer shuts itself down.

I did everything i could do. Even did a clean install after an internet recovery.. just to rule out any software issues.

i first thought it was the hard case i was using. But now it seems its the charger. It only happens when its hooked to a certain one. 85w . So i guess it must be faulty.

Anyone else having this problem?
    --- Post Merged, May 7, 2016 ---
    forgot to add that when it started at first, it only happened when i closed the macbook. After which it started to make a lot of noise and had to force it to shut down by pressing and holding the power button. After some days it began happening randomly whenever i was using the laptop.

2. brewmonkey macrumors regular

So it works fine with other AC adapters you have except for a particular one? If so maybe just replace that adapter?

Otherwise, probably not what you want to hear but it might be easiest/fastest to just take it down to an Apple Store to have them take a look. I think they can perform a diagnostic to identify possible faulty components.

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

4. dikkind thread starter macrumors newbie

dikkind

I only found out about this IN the apple store where i couldn't get the laptop to malfunction.. ;D after that i realized it should either be the case or the adaptor. So yes i will replace the adaptor. Is it possible to do a diagnostic test yourself ? i don't have warranty anymore. But its been fine so far. I used other adaptors 60w and it didn't crash.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The adaptor could be going bad and putting out the incorrect voltage

6. dikkind thread starter macrumors newbie

dikkind

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yes. SMC reset is the go-to first thing to try when experiencing power related issues. It can't hurt, and it takes 15 seconds.

But I do agree that the charger is probably defective.

8. dikkind thread starter macrumors newbie

dikkind

oke , i will do a smc reset. I did mention that i wiped the computer clean. I even formatted the complete harddrive. after that i did a clean install of mavericks via Internet recovery. Now back running on el capitan. Goes great so far.
    it just happened without the charger. Macbook shutted itself down after closing it. Doing SMC reset now.

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Which exact machine do you have?

10. dikkind thread starter macrumors newbie

dikkind

MacBookPro11,2 ,
    Intel Core i7

2,2 GHz

16GB ram

intel iris pro
    MacBookPro11,2 ,
    Intel Core i7

2,2 GHz

16GB ram

intel iris pro
    I did the SMC reset. Felt a little strange to do, not getting any feedback from the machine (which is normal but still) . So far doing good connected to the 'faulty' charger.
    I did use a 45w charger some time ago , I think it was before the problem started. It barely was charging with this small adaptor. Maybe this messed up the power management ?

11. JTToft macrumors 68040

- The LED on the charger should change colour if the battery isn't 100 % charged. That is, if it was amber, it should briefly change to green and then back. If it was green, I believe it stays green.

12. dikkind thread starter macrumors newbie

dikkind

the led is behaving normally. Doing what u described above. Also its not warmer than usual or doing anything special it seems.

13. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Then that's your feedback that the reset was successful.

14. dikkind thread starter macrumors newbie

dikkind

opened e
    the laptop started shutting itself off every now and then again. hooked up to the 'faulty' charger it shuts itself off after one minute or less. Now again on other 60w charger. So far (5 mins in ) no shut down.

15. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I believe there was a recall on virtually all apple chargers recently, maybe check with Apple to see if you are affected.

if so, free charger.

Win.

16. dikkind thread starter macrumors newbie

dikkind

SUMMARY

the computer worked fine the whole day after charging fully with the 60w charger. When i reached 17 percent battery it shut down when closed. Then i did the SMC reset with the faulty charger (85w) after which the problem returned and got worse again (shutting down in less than a minute). Now , back on 60w charger, everything is fine (so far).
    just crashed again.. out off possible explanations. El capitan ? bad battery? Bad motherboard? pfff...

17. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Could be that both power adapters are bad, maybe your motherboard is dying (normally if it's the battery the system should run on power cord). Bring it to the Genius Bar to an Apple store, maybe they'll be able to test it and maybe fix whatever is causing problems.

18. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

19. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Could you clarify this statement? Did it shut down on its own with no charger attached?

20. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

21. dikkind thread starter macrumors newbie

dikkind

Yes it did
    It acrually was wirking on batterie the whole day. Then i installed el capitan again and it shut down some time later. Does anyone know how to install fresh from maverick? It used to give me this option after erasing the disc but now i always get el capitan

22. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Internet Recovery (Cmd + Alt + R on boot) will give you Mavericks.

23. dikkind thread starter macrumors newbie

dikkind

UPDATE .

so i downgraded back to mavericks after fully formatting the Macintosh HD. This didn't help again BUT ! i fully charged the laptop when it was off. Let it sit over night and since then it only crashed once.

I'm not quite sure yet what this tells me.

Somebody here good at reading console logs ? I have some failure stuff in there not sure what it means. I also would like to add that i don't have this problem in safe mode. Wich points to the hardware being fine?

Yes .. no?

thanks everybody.
    --- Post Merged, May 9, 2016 ---
    since ive fully charged it, ive been using it on battery. Will connect to an other 85w charger later today and see if it crashes. At 25 percent at the moment. Last time batterie was this low it crashed.

24. MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

It means go back to the Apple Store and see what they can find.

25. dikkind thread starter macrumors newbie

dikkind

Hey everybody , so i brought my mac to the Apple store and after a week they haven't been able to find anything. So now they will replace my logicboard. The repairman told me they never experienced anything like it and they are unable to find whats causing the crashes. So they will replace the logicboard ( about 600€ + hours ). Also the screen is **** (stainage and pitting) so they will replace this under extended warranty. 3th screen already. So this mac wich isnt 2 years old has had ALL OF ITS COMPONENTS replaced in under 2 years. None of wich had been damaged by me personally. The only thing still original on this laptop is the bottomplate wich houses no components :D. So in conclusion ... This mac has always been **** to start with. (as was my previous mac , which failed miserably too. ) For a 2,200€ laptop this is a disgrace. I'm a student i dont have 700 euros lying around somewhere. There wasnt one spot on this machine of being maltreated so its not my fault. I personally will think twice about buying mac. Why does it have to be so good (when it works) and good looking... i bought the laptop under my fathers company with a little discount. Thats why it doesnt fall under warranty any more. -insert swear word here-