Charger just burned my MBP!!! (with pics)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rwd hero, Feb 21, 2010.

  1. rwd hero macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    Location:
    Baltimore, Maryland
    #1
    So last night i was browsing the internet, and i noticed my computer was getting a little warm around where the charger plugs into the computer. I didn't think anything of it, so i just kept going. About 10 minutes later i checked on the plug and it was extremely hot, i unplugged it and it was defiantly smoking. I know the pictures are pretty blurry, i took them with my iPhone, so i have an appointment with the genius bar tomorrow at 1:15. Hopefully they will replace the plug, and send me on my way.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

    drummerlondonw3

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2008
    Location:
    London
    #2
    cant really see what the damage is in the pics

    is there damage to the MBp's magsafe connector?
     
  3. rwd hero thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    Location:
    Baltimore, Maryland
    #3
    Yea, the black spot on the charger is where it is burned, there is a slight burn on the computer. Oh and i just noticed, it smells pretty burned.
     
  4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

    MacModMachine

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #4
    they may want to replace the logic board, power assembly.

    this is a known problem now, and is not related to people physically damaging there adapter like most seem to think.
     
  5. Apple.MBPro macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #5
    The pictures are very blurry, but i can still see the damage to the MBP MagSafe connector. Hopefully, the Apple store will fix your MBP.
     
  6. newdeal macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    #6
    ...

    the question is was it caused by a bad adaptor or by a problem with the logic board. I don't know if I would let them just replace the adaptor without replacing the logic board too because if its putting out that much heat it then it likely was putting far more power through the computer than it was supposed to have
     
  7. rwd hero thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    Location:
    Baltimore, Maryland
    #7
    Im really going to try and avoid that, im typing on the computer now and it is acting fine. Although i haven't plugged the charger into the computer since the incident, i don't really see any problems.
     
  8. rwd hero thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    Location:
    Baltimore, Maryland
    #8
    If thats the case, than i guess they will have to do what they have to do.
     
  9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

    MacModMachine

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #9
    i know, but sometimes this is related to a short inside the notebook, plugging in a new adapter could cause a fire quite quickly.
     
  10. JaZzMaN251 macrumors regular

    JaZzMaN251

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2009
    Location:
    Apple Order Status page
    #10
    I think that blue elephant on the first picture did it! He sure looks guilty to me. :D

    Serious now... I would take the MBP to the Apple store with you and let it test by the Geniuses there. Then you're sure that there's no damage to your MBP.
    Good luck and hopefully everything turns out well!
     
  11. Nein01 macrumors 6502

    Nein01

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2009
    Location:
    Germany
    #11
    lrn 2 focus

    do you have a macro setting? try again with it turned on.
     
  12. gazzamac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2010
    #12
    May also be worth getting a surge protector wall socket in case its your home power supply.
     
  13. rwd hero thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    Location:
    Baltimore, Maryland
    #13
    Dusted the cybershot off to take a few better pictures for macrumors...

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  14. Apple.MBPro macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #14
  15. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2009
    #15
    I strongly recommend getting the MBP checked out while you're there. You never know what damage has been caused to it.
     
  16. rwd hero thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    Location:
    Baltimore, Maryland
    #16
    Im defiantly getting everything checked out, where the charger connects to the computer, it is melted pretty bad. Im going to try to get a closer picture.
     
  17. rwd hero thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    Location:
    Baltimore, Maryland
    #17
    [​IMG]

    I know its blurry, but i cropped and zoomed a lot. Im sure you get the picture.
     
  18. Thiol macrumors 6502a

    Thiol

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    #18
    Too cute to be guilty...
     
  19. rwd hero thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    Location:
    Baltimore, Maryland
    #19
    LoL, i didn't even notice the dog toy in the picture. Thats funny, those toys are all over the living room.
     
  20. itsparks macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2009
    #20
    over rated, a laptop psu is already a switch mode power supply. And the apple ones are 240-110 capable, with auto detecting.

    Just buy any electronic device with your credit card, you will be covered.
     
  21. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

    serialtoon

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2009
    Location:
    Long Beach
  22. Apple.MBPro macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #22

    Maybe a bit over-rated, but it has saved my rear end a couple of times (especially when there are faulty electrical outlets). :D
     
  23. Benito macrumors 6502

    Benito

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #23
    That doesn't look very good. Hopefully it is an easy fix, please let us know ends up happening with it.
     
  24. Pentad macrumors 6502a

    Pentad

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2003
    Location:
    Indiana
    #24
    RWD Hero,

    When you have time would you post what happens at the Apple Store? I really like the MagSafe Power Adapter but I have become more and more worried about its design. Now when I leave the house I unplug my MBP and sleep it just to be safe.

    I bought a brand new adapter for home (so I don't have to keep taking the original out of my bag) and within a week the cord started to get wonky. I immediately went back to Best Buy and they swapped it out.

    I love my MBP but I also love my kids and my house and I have enough trouble in my life without a fire. :)

    I'm curious on how Apple responds.

    Thanks and good luck!!
    -P
     
  25. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

    fehhkk

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #25
    Looks like short between one of the live prongs and the magsafe connector/chassis.
     

Share This Page