Charger just burned my MBP!!! (with pics)

rwd hero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
So last night i was browsing the internet, and i noticed my computer was getting a little warm around where the charger plugs into the computer. I didn't think anything of it, so i just kept going. About 10 minutes later i checked on the plug and it was extremely hot, i unplugged it and it was defiantly smoking. I know the pictures are pretty blurry, i took them with my iPhone, so i have an appointment with the genius bar tomorrow at 1:15. Hopefully they will replace the plug, and send me on my way.

Attachments

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
they may want to replace the logic board, power assembly.

this is a known problem now, and is not related to people physically damaging there adapter like most seem to think.

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009

the question is was it caused by a bad adaptor or by a problem with the logic board. I don't know if I would let them just replace the adaptor without replacing the logic board too because if its putting out that much heat it then it likely was putting far more power through the computer than it was supposed to have

rwd hero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
they may want to replace the logic board, power assembly.

this is a known problem now, and is not related to people physically damaging there adapter like most seem to think.
Im really going to try and avoid that, im typing on the computer now and it is acting fine. Although i haven't plugged the charger into the computer since the incident, i don't really see any problems.

rwd hero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
the question is was it caused by a bad adaptor or by a problem with the logic board. I don't know if I would let them just replace the adaptor without replacing the logic board too because if its putting out that much heat it then it likely was putting far more power through the computer than it was supposed to have
If thats the case, than i guess they will have to do what they have to do.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Im really going to try and avoid that, im typing on the computer now and it is acting fine. Although i haven't plugged the charger into the computer since the incident, i don't really see any problems.
i know, but sometimes this is related to a short inside the notebook, plugging in a new adapter could cause a fire quite quickly.

JaZzMaN251

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
Apple Order Status page
I think that blue elephant on the first picture did it! He sure looks guilty to me. :D

Serious now... I would take the MBP to the Apple store with you and let it test by the Geniuses there. Then you're sure that there's no damage to your MBP.
Good luck and hopefully everything turns out well!

gazzamac

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
May also be worth getting a surge protector wall socket in case its your home power supply.

plasticphyte

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
I strongly recommend getting the MBP checked out while you're there. You never know what damage has been caused to it.

Apple.MBPro

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
over rated, a laptop psu is already a switch mode power supply. And the apple ones are 240-110 capable, with auto detecting.
Just buy any electronic device with your credit card, you will be covered.

Maybe a bit over-rated, but it has saved my rear end a couple of times (especially when there are faulty electrical outlets). :D

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
RWD Hero,

When you have time would you post what happens at the Apple Store? I really like the MagSafe Power Adapter but I have become more and more worried about its design. Now when I leave the house I unplug my MBP and sleep it just to be safe.

I bought a brand new adapter for home (so I don't have to keep taking the original out of my bag) and within a week the cord started to get wonky. I immediately went back to Best Buy and they swapped it out.

I love my MBP but I also love my kids and my house and I have enough trouble in my life without a fire. :)

I'm curious on how Apple responds.

Thanks and good luck!!
-P