Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiamO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
My charger is not working on my laptop. I have taken the battery out of my laptop for over two hours but still not working. The Charger Bar has also been moved to the left.

Also my charger works on my friend's laptop just not mine. My other charger still works on my laptop as well. I've been using this charger for about a week.

Cheers

pintsizemacman

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
ohio
one time i used my charger in a car and when i used it inside it wouldnt work. but after a miniute it started to work.i dont know what to tell ua just got a dud.apple store would prob replace?

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Apple makes two different voltages of chargers for MacBooks, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro. There is a 60W charger and an 85W charger. The 60W charger is for MacBooks and MacBook Air (it is smaller) but will not charge or power the MacBook Pro properly. For the MacBook Pro you need an 85W charger, but the 85W charger is compatible with all the units and will power every Mac laptop (via MagSafe).

Hope this helps, make sure you are using the right voltage of charger for your laptop.

PhelpsiPhan

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
New Jersey
Apple makes two different voltages of chargers for MacBooks, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro. There is a 60W charger and an 85W charger. The 60W charger is for MacBooks and MacBook Air (it is smaller) but will not charge or power the MacBook Pro properly. For the MacBook Pro you need an 85W charger, but the 85W charger is compatible with all the units and will power every Mac laptop (via MagSafe).

Hope this helps, make sure you are using the right voltage of charger for your laptop.

The Macbook Air actually uses a 45 W P/A

LiamO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
It's just a normal MacBook 2.0 I think, and I have a 60W Charger. It's now not working on either laptops.

There seems to be no rips in the cord or anything.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

The 60w MP charger will work just fine with a MBP. The voltage is correct, the only difference is the power output. I use one to charge my MBP regularly. The 45w may not have the needed amperage, but the 60 does.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The 60w MP charger will work just fine with a MBP. The voltage is correct, the only difference is the power output. I use one to charge my MBP regularly. The 45w may not have the needed amperage, but the 60 does.

Don't do that. You are running a serious risk of overheating the charger, which could cause all kinds of damage, including your home burning down if you leave it alone. Especially if you charge the computer while using it.

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto
if you use a 85W power cord on a 60W air wont that cause a power surge or something?

just doesnt sound right to give more power then needed, especially to a laptop.

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
if you use a 85W power cord on a 60W air wont that cause a power surge or something?

just doesnt sound right to give more power then needed, especially to a laptop.

Those chargers, I presume have regulatory controls on the amperage provided to the laptop, or else all our batteries would be overcharge and fried.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Don't do that. You are running a serious risk of overheating the charger, which could cause all kinds of damage, including your home burning down if you leave it alone. Especially if you charge the computer while using it.

My 60w doesn't run hot, even after hours of use. It's not noticeably hotter than when I charge my MB. While it may draw a higher current on a MBP than a MB, my experience is it is still within the safe ooperating limits of the 60w power supply and works fine on a MBP. Do you have any evidence for your statement?

I would not buy a 60w to run a MBP but since I already have one it makes a great backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.