Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I purchased 4 extra charging cables when I got my phone but have not had to charge while in the car or at the office. I do have one cable at the office and one at the house. Of the three unused cables I gave two away and still have one unopened.

My iPhone 5 has a much better battery than my 4S and I never put it on the charge before I sleep without it still have 40+ percent left in the battery.;)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
2 USB-lightning from Sprint at 20% off.
Griffin powerjolt dual in car.

Cable at work, car, and by bed.

I have yet to use the work or car one. I get home with 50-80% batt. remaining.

Bishwasher

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
Portsmouth,UK
I also ordered one of the glowing lightning cables from iPhone5mod.com, apparently they have them in stock so I ordered one before Apple stops them from selling them (which I'm sure they will with all the patent bs going on).

Have you got it yet? Does it work? I'm tempted to get one complete with dock but worried I'll be left with a piece of junk that doesn't work.

Cheers,

Daniel

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
got one at work, and one at home

Plus I recently got my hands on the wi-fi passcode at work so my battery life is a lot better

MacVT

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I bought 2 extra lightning cables from Apple and they shipped straight from China.

Qoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
MI
My wife and I both have the iPhone 5, so i leave one cable home and bring another cable to work :D

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
I was told by the Verizon guy that I needed a 2 amp car charger. True or not?

No, but it will charge much faster with a 2.1A... Noticeably faster.

The details in this one says that the main port will only charge at 1A max for iPhones. Cheap price but 0.5 to 1 A is painfully slow.

Go hit up Fry's or another one on Amazon and look for a 2.1A charger or one with USB ports. You will appreciate it much better.

Paulsan

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Earth
No, but it will charge much faster with a 2.1A... Noticeably faster.

The details in this one says that the main port will only charge at 1A max for iPhones. Cheap price but 0.5 to 1 A is painfully slow.

Go hit up Fry's or another one on Amazon and look for a 2.1A charger or one with USB ports. You will appreciate it much better.

Thanks for the advise!

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Since I started using cell phones.. I've always kept a charger in my car. I usually grab it if I'll be in someone else's car just in case I need it. I'm the emergency contact for my kids at school so I can't have my phone uncharged. I bought an extra lightning cable bc taking my only one from in the house and bringing it back in at the end of day was a pain.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I pretty much only charge overnight during the work week and my phone does fine, usually having 60-75% left by midnight when I go to sleep. The only time I carry a charger with me is if I'm going to be going out all day with friends and don't know how much I might be using the phone.

phillyphill

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2010
lorton
For me I'm carrying it around, as everywhere around me where I'm at in Maryland don't have any extra in stock.

My 30 to lightning converter finally marked as shipped from Apple yesterday, so hopefully tomorrow or Friday I will finally have a second charger.

I also ordered one of the glowing lightning cables from iPhone5mod.com, apparently they have them in stock so I ordered one before Apple stops them from selling them (which I'm sure they will with all the patent bs going on).

Looks pretty bad ass. Think I may order the dock and cable

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have one in the car, but I haven't really had the need to charge. Battery life has been quite impressive! I've never carried a charger with my iPhone but the 5 seems to have like 60% when I go to bed as opposed to 12% on my 4s.

Lumpydog

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Bought 4 extras

Picked up my iP5 at the Apple store and they had no USB/Lightning cables - went to the AT&T store and they had many. Bought 4, bringing me to 5

- Nightstand charge
- Car (MDX that has nice integration via cable)
- Office
- Couch/living room
- Travel bag

Sounds crazy, but I just like having a charge handy wherever I am and I don't like dealing with remembering to bring a cable with me. Much of this is me being conditioned by my 4S which constantly was hovering in the red... Worst iPhone ever w/regard to battery life. I'm finding the 5 can get me through the day with average use. Heavy use days - need 1 charge up but waaaay better than the 4s

Last edited:

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
I need to charge my phone while driving between jobs just to make it through the day. Is everyone carrying their lightning cable with them?

One at home, one in car, one at work...and I need one more for second car :) Not that battery are holding not well, I am listening Pandora lot, watching Netflix/HBOGO/MAXGO/Amazon Prime etc :) Getting tons of work emails, text messages etc. So, lots of work for phone and it is great one! Best I ever own and I own all iphones models, tons of other ...:)

Last edited:

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
If I'm leaving the house for a better part of the day, like work, I always bring a spare Lightning USB and power adapter. For the truck I have an adapter to plug the Apple power adapter into the DC outlet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.