Charging iPhone after cleaning lightning cable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aditya_S, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

I accidentally got sweat on the lightning cable connector so I got a damp cloth and wiped it and waited 5 minutes for it to dry and then I charged my phone. Is this potentially damaging my phone if it hasn't completely dried because I know if there is a lot of water your iPhone tells you to unplug it.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I've never seen an iPhone that tells you to unplug the lightning cable in _any_ circumstance.
    Unless your lightning cable is not to Apple's specs, I suppose.

Of course, if you soaked your cable in water for 5 minutes, I'm sure you would wipe the moisture with a soft, dry cloth.
    (I don't think a little moisture on the cable and its connector will cause any issues of any kind - just wipe it dry.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If there is no moisture on the actual lightning connector, it shouldn't be an issue. Especially if you allowed it to dry.

And I don't believe the iPhone would notify you of any potential water damage from a lightning connector.

4. Newtons Apple, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I think it will be fine. Just relax and Enjoy your phone.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

It seems like it's safe to say that the applicable answer will be pretty much the same as the repeated ones in many of previous similar threads, as mentioned at http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/accidentally-got-a-tiny-amount-of-vinegar-in-iphone-lightning-port.1996620/#post-23464875

6. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

This article posted when iOS 10 was still in beta says that if water is detected it tells you to remove the cable, but they may have removed this feature.
    https://9to5mac.com/2016/07/21/ios-10-lightning-socket-water-warning/

7. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

8. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweat is salty and has urea in it.

9. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

You wiped off liquid with a damp cloth and only left it to dry for 5 minutes?

10. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

If you suspect that stuff might be on the lightning cable connector, disconnect the cable from power source and then clean the connector with a microfiber cloth or paper towel dampened with rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl).

That will dissolve most contaminants, which will then be wiped away with the microfiber. The rubbing alcohol left behind will evaporate quickly leaving no trace. You can touch the connector with dry hands to verify that it is dry before using it.