Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hicksmat1976

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester, England
there’s no dedicated thread for this issue that I could see so I’ll open one.

I get the “Charging on hold - charging will resume when iPhone returns to normal temperature” issue on a regular basis since iOS 16.

Yes I understand the feature and that it’s there for a reason however no one seems to be asking what the cause is. I’ve seen a lot of this issue reported in Reddit and other places but no one is asking themselves why it is happening and why it is happening so much eg some other component causing the overheating, not necessarily the battery at fault. I went to Apple and my battery is fine so it’s not that.

Anyone else have this issue on a regular basis?

Thanks all.

Attachments

• 11559A78-50D6-4C9D-B05E-CF780A39BE67.jpeg
    11559A78-50D6-4C9D-B05E-CF780A39BE67.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 573

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
I've tried 2 chargers, one directly into the car USB, the other with a cigarette lighter Anker charger - same sort of results.
Also connected to carplay I'm guessing, read that earlier carplay (especially gps work like maps) + charging = very hot phone (also because in-car usb and generic cigarette lighter ones usually push way more amps than a good normal charger does which makes the phone hotter while charging).

Hicksmat1976

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester, England
Also connected to carplay I'm guessing, read that earlier carplay + charging = very hot phone (also in-car usb and generic cigarette lighter ones usually push way more amps than a good normal charger does which makes the phone hotter while charging).
I don’t have car play.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
You mean am I using the phone as designed? Yes I might have Google maps on, or Spotify, or podcasts, or Microsoft teams, or on the phone making a call.
Are you using the phone on your dash in direct sunlight? I use an MagSafe charger that's connected to my air vent. Keeps the phone cool and have never once had this issue.

Hicksmat1976

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester, England
Are you using the phone on your dash in direct sunlight? I use an MagSafe charger that's connected to my air vent. Keeps the phone cool and have never once had this issue.
A Google search result shows that it’s happening quite often for some.

I live in a cool climate without heating on in the car.

Last edited by a moderator:

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
5617BFDF-C20B-441B-98A8-5FBAE84195E2.png
I had it last week when charged on original 18W charger and cable which came with iPhone 11Pro.
I have only charged and used phone as internet radio speaker to stream using one app - Eter Radio which is not huge battery drain.

iPhone 11Pro 84% battery health

Charged up to 80% directly from wall
23°C at home in open space.

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
I had that issue once, I believe it was a rogue app running in the background. I disabled background app refresh completely and never saw that error again. Mind you, this was on the 14 Pro even without a case on it. The phone was also really hot to the touch.

Reactions: Hicksmat1976

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Had it all the time on my 12P. Ever since 16 was released. It would get hot af all the time, and many times I had received the same message. I ended up trading it in for a 14P (Verizon basically charged me $180 after trade-in, couldn’t say no). Fingers are crossed this one doesn’t end up having the same issue.

There have been multiple reports of this happening. It’s not just you.

Reactions: Hicksmat1976

iSuzan

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2020
Germany
I had this issue only once, right after I got my iPhone 14 Pro. Maybe it was still busy with indexing in the background, not sure.
But since then never had it again.

Did you updated your iPhone to the latest iOS 16.0.3 already?

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
When you share your story, could you post:
- Phone type
- iOS version
- What charger was used and cable
- Battery wear level
- What app was working in background

And don’t forget to send a feedback to Apple:

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I don't get this message, but my phone will get pretty hot when using Waze and sitting in direct sunlight (even if it's cool outside). I'll periodically just move it to be in front of an air vent until it cools down.

Reactions: max2

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
I came here to start a thread about this!

I've never seen this with any other phone or iOS version

with iPhone 14 Pro Max 1 TB + CarPlay + iOS 16.0.3
I've seen it 3 times

Maybe... this is a good thing, in that iOS didn't catch the "too hot" condition before?

FYI - My iPhone 13 Pro Max 1 TB was already at
Settings --> Battery Health --> Maximum Capacity = only 90% in < 1 year

For comparison my iPhone 6+ that I still use as a 2'nd screen is at max capacity = 90% after a million years!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
You're not alone. My iPhone 13 PM - which has charged very cooly all its life, charges SUPER hot now with iOS 16. Sometimes it chooses to charge slowly and will not even get warm but most of the time it's very hot.

This means if I charge my phone in my car's center console with just a tiny bit of sun? I get the warning now where as I never did before.

My friend with a 13PM - says he is experiencing the same thing.

Something about iOS 16 makes it so that the phone charges a lot hotter than before. A lot hotter.

I only get it when charging my phone in conditions that are warm (such as in the car's center console, outside on a warm day). Never got it before iOS 16.

Pre iOS 16 - I'd charge my 13PM with a cable on my desk and the phone barely got warm. Now it gets hot especially when charging below 70%. Based on my observations, I think iOS 16 is charging a lot faster 0-70% - I have not tested this but have noticed 80-100 takes a lot longer now too.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Maybe related maybe not. Does your phones also go warm and hot in seconds when you open Settings > General > iPhone Storage ?

My guess is some indexing daemon is going crazy in background

Reactions: MareLuce

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
This is the way, active cooling no screen dimming either.
A Google search result shows that it’s happening quite often for some.

I live in a cool climate without heating on in the car.

Did you post on these "other" forums to ask? Apparently on this forum very few are having your issue regardless of what's happening elsewhere on the internet..
Your phone is too hot, why is it so hard to decipher?
Use a vent mount with AC and watch this problem magically disappear.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

skyhawkmatthew

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
I get this message all the time with my 12 mini, especially when using Qi or MagSafe. I’m in Hong Kong where temperatures are still in the high 20s (80s F).

I had the same behaviour in previous iOS versions: charging would often stop at 80% which I eventually worked out was temperature related. It’s good that now the system shows a notification to explain what’s going on.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
I use an MagSafe charger that's connected to my air vent. Keeps the phone cool and have never once had this issue.

Great point. I really need to find mine.

I stopped using it because, here in the heart of Texas (that would be AUSTIN ;-), humans need all the coolness coming from the vents, without iPhones blocking the airflow.

• Haha
Reactions: Phillyphil0302
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.