Charging/Power issues in 2011 when gaming/high load?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drecca, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Drecca, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

Drecca macrumors regular

Anyone else notice this issue when gaming (I play WoW on OSX). Basically what happens is :

When playing a game (battery is fully charged and plugged in), OSX can't decide if it needs to charge up or not. Most of the time, it will just say "calculating".

Once the game is closed, it goes green, or just gives about 20 minutes to charge and the MBP is fine

I've just finished doing a battery cycle (killed battery, let it sit for 5 hours) but it's still happening

Any suggestions?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I do not believe this is the first time where the power draw from gaming has exceeded the input from the AC adapter. I know I have been in a thread like this before.

3. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

Similar behavior observed while running a VM for data warehouse development, and other very intensive workloads.

I smell a firmware revision in the future to address this and the occasional graphics and wake-from-sleep issues.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Had it happen in Windows but never in OS X but I guess it it possible.

5. Drecca thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is, the 2010 had no issues. The 2011 does. Would Sandy Bridge and the ATI card really exceed the power the AC can give out? Isn't it rated at 85 watts?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This was back in 2008/2009. I am sadly not terribly motivated to find that old thread but gaming was so demanding that it would discharge the battery as well. Back when you could easily remove the battery, there was an Apple KB document mentioning that removing the battery while on AC power would force low power states.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. Drecca thread starter macrumors regular

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's completely relevant. While the battery in the new MBPs can't be removed, the fact that the MBP can require more power than AC alone provides still applies. That's why under extreme load, such as gaming, the battery may not charge and may also deplete, even when plugged in.

10. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

It's relevant, the same effect still applies, the system can demand more power than AC adaptor can give, especially as the CPU is 10watts TDP more than any previous cpu apple have used in an intel laptop.

11. Drecca thread starter macrumors regular

My apologies. So then going back to the AC not providing enough power, it's a hardware problem that didn't exist in the 2010's due to lower power requirements.

Now that the 2011 can't run the same application without the battery being used, is it possible it can be fixed with a firmware update, even though the limitation is physical?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a hardware problem. It's working as designed, drawing power from both AC and battery when power demands require it.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Forcing the lower power states for the CPU and GPU would be a solution but you would get lower performance.

14. LukaStellwag macrumors newbie

And could someone please tell my why a company like Apple sells my a too weak psu for my 2500 € laptop? I do not want my battery to discharge while PLUGGED in. Seriously, this is ridiculous. I do a lot of heavy duty stuff...

Any way to buy a stronger Psu then?

15. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Before you look into that, I assume you are using an 85 watt charger right?
    Not a 65 or 45?

16. mark28 macrumors 68000

Probably Apple will underclock the CPU/GPU to fix this.

17. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

sadly this is far too true, most likely the graphics card, their notorious for doing that.

I know a guy who runs a business that makes transformers, i seriously thought about asking him to make me a 110W power supply for my mac. - Maybe some company will start making them, ahem hypermac

18. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

This problem shouldn't exist. Apple should just make a PSU that can supply enough power with some headroom. They only make 4 models, they shouldn't be running into these kinds of problems.

19. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

+ many!

20. David-fr macrumors 6502

I called AC and they said this is not normal, and set me a genius visit.

Mine stops charging with Parallels (game), 1080P video and PS.

21. Chubbysumo macrumors newbie

they are all 85 watt chargers. the MBP has been shown to draw and use a full 93-100 watts while under heavy load. This does 2 things that could potentially be dangerous. Number 1, this stresses and overheats the battery, because its drawing more than its rated capacity, and could potentially cause it to expand, overheat, catch fire, or at worst explode. number 2, this overworks the charger, and could possible cause either the charging port to burn, or overheat, or could cause the charger or wall outlet to catch fire, because the laptop is trying to draw more than the unit is rated for, which is unsafe. For all those having this issue, from a safety perspective, until apple makes a fix, I would not stress your laptops to cause this, as its unsafe, and since apple makes fixes and admits problems at glacially slow paces, it may be awhile.

I just wanted to point out, iMacdragon, but TDP is the amount of heat that the CPU could possible produce, NOT the amount of power it will draw, and to GGJstudios: NO, this is not working as intended. the AC inverter should be able to power the entire unit, under all circumstances without assistance from the battery. this shows poor testing and planning on apples part.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Complete nonsense. Macs are designed to properly handle such workloads. It is not dangerous, does not overheat the battery or overwork the charger, and will not cause fires or explosions. You have a vivid, yet completely uninformed, imagination.
    It obviously IS working as intended, or Apple wouldn't have stated what they did:
    Get some facts, then come back and try again.

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I mentioned this somewhere along the way but Apple must have really wanted to avoid a larger power adapter.

24. Chubbysumo macrumors newbie

are you THAT blinded by fanboyism. I have had MANY laptops over the last many years, and a few Apple laptops as well, and NOT A SINGLE ONE ever did that. If the AC adapter cannot power the laptop on its own, then there is something wrong, and since apple has not stated this is how its supposed to be(in fact, they have been totally silent on the issue altogether, which means that something is NOT working as intended), its not working properly. What if you were to use it under heavy load for 10 hours? the battery would deplete, and the laptop would shut off. This isnt normal, and since the laptop can draw more than the inverter can make, this can potentially damage the charger by overvoltaging it(drawing too much, or trying too), and is a fire hazard, and isnt even in spec with the UL testing done(which rated it to power a max of 85 watts, and anything more than that, and its unsafe). maybe you should become more informed and look up some of this stuff for yourself. Get out from behind the fanboy blinders for once, and quit spreading potentially dangerous information. You do know, that if anyones house starts on fire because of your bad advice, you can be held liable, right? do some fact checking before you post.