Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paa76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Is anyone else experiencing charging issues after upgrading to 9.3.5? I have a iPhone 6 (not s) and could not charge on any of my non-apple USB power outlets after I upgraded. I had no other problems and made no configuration changes other than upgrading 9.3.4 to 9.3.5.

I swapped lightning cords, and tried multiple non-Apple chargers and none of them worked - I still couldn't charge. I also verified that the non-Apple chargers and cords worked fine by charging a different iPhone (a 6s that still has 9.3.4) on them. So the outlets and cords are verified OK.

I also know that my iPhone 6 still charges. After the 9.3.5 upgrade I could charge the iPhone 6 (with 9.3.5) when I plugged it in to my 2012 macbook air. It just wouldn't charge when plugged in to the non-Apple usb outlets.

I downgraded the iPhone 6 to 9.3.4 and can charge again in all of my outlets with all of the lightning cables. I made no other changes to my phone. I'm assuming the security upgrades affected the phone's ability to charge with unauthorized/non-apple devices.

Has anyone else had any issues like this? Is there a fix that doesn't require you to downgrade? It looked like one person on the Apple boards had experienced a similar issue. I am wary of upgrading any of my other devices until this is resolved. I have a lot of non-apple USB power outlets in my house ( building the USB port directly into the outlet keeps things clean and clutter free) and I kind of need to be able to keep using them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.