Charging tip...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AeroUK, Oct 2, 2009.

1. AeroUK macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I thought I had a bad battery and Apple replaced my phone.

I have since discovered that the problem was that I was charging my phone from my Bose dock, if I charge from the Apple charger instead then I actually get about double the battery life...

If you charge from a dock and get poor battery then try using the charger that came with the phone instead...

Aaron

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I've also heard that you get a better charge if you use the wall outlet rather than a USB port.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Better charges comes down to the amps comming in. With a connection to your Mac/PC you get thru the USB a measly 500mA charge, where as from the Wall Outlet you get 1,000mA charge.

Hence, faster and better.

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

1A, not 1mA, 1mA would hardly power the backlight :p

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

6. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

I wonder what kind of charger the Bose Sounddock uses...

7. ZipZap macrumors 601

Is there a USB cable for data only...one that will not charge?

8. sfditty macrumors regular

Are you all suggesting that the charging method has an effect on how long the charge lasts after it's done charging? Or that the charging method has an effect on how long it takes to charge? The former doesn't seem likely, but the latter does.

9. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Well in my experience they both take roughly the same amount of time to charge but charging with the Apple supplied charger means the phone holds its charge a lot better! If you are charging from a dock then try it and tell me if you notice a difference.

I can now easily make it through a day, this never happened when I charged through my Bose sound-dock...

Aaron

10. Badfoot macrumors 6502

I know it sounds daft, a charged battery is a charged battery, the more the charging current the faster (only) the charge = shorter time only.

BUT, and it shouldn't happen with lithium batteries, sometimes a battery charged with a higher current DOES charge more and is able to retain a charge better. Some battery 'refreshing/retraining' cycles use this method of 'exercising' the battery to extend its life. A legacy of old ni-cad technology but apparently still of some revelance with modern cells.

Funny old world isn't it ?