Chase blocked me from getting my iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jbmacfan, Sep 12, 2014.

1. jbmacfan macrumors member

I placed my order last night for the iPhone 6 Plus (contract free) through AT&T's website. It was successfully processing last night so I went to bed thinking everything went through and it will all be fine. Wrong!

I woke up in the morning with a text from Chase saying, "CHASE Fraud alert" and had me confirm if the purchase I made was me or not. I also got an email from the with the same message so I confirmed there as well that the payment was made by me. All is good right? Wrong!

AT&T order status is saying that the order was declined and that I needed to update my payment information as soon as possible or the order will get canceled. I resubmitted my billing information and now it is in processing again. Only issue is now the phone is saying it is backordered and no longer has the 2-3 week shipping estimate.

What the hell Chase? I never had them block a big purchase before. If I would have know it might get blocked I would have called them beforehand and alerted them to an upcoming large purchase.

2. jbmacfan thread starter macrumors member

And now the order has processed and the backordered status changed to a Oct 31 - Nov 11 ship dates. Ugh what was once a 2-3 week is now 2-3 months.

3. drummer328i macrumors newbie

Chase did this to me too, although I ordered through Apple and not AT&T. Luckily, I was able to re-process the payment through Apple and my delivery date is still the 19th. Nonetheless, it is annoying that Chase is doing this.

4. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

Yeah, same thing happen to me before on a purchase with chase. Sorry to hear that happen you bud. Best of luck. :(

5. IlliniGuy76 macrumors regular

Not to be a bag, but that's why there were multiple posts on here over the last few days warning folks to make sure to contact your bank in anticipation of this charge. They simply would have released the charge based upon your call.

Sorry about your plight... sucks!

6. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Go to the AT&T store next Friday and pick one up. Go a few hours before they open and you should be good.

7. menist macrumors regular

menist

This also happen to me and I called Chase and they said everything is good on my end and that I need to call Apple. WTF? :confused:

8. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Chase seems to be overly sensitive lately with "big purchases" throwing up the fraud alert. It's annoying for sure.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Did you all get this alert online too (does it show up if you login to your Chase account online)??

I sold my 5s last night, so I cannot receive text messages. However, I looked on my Chase online account and I don't see any messages like this, so I'm hoping that means I'm ok..

10. illutionz macrumors 65816

Sorry for your ordeal but thank you for posting this. I ordered around 4:30am ET and I get the 7-10 days batch. Looks like they haven't tried to charge my Sapphire card yet but I just called in and tell them to let every charge from Apple.com through for the near future :D

11. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Usually they'll do 1 of 3 things or a combo of all 3. Call you, email your or text you.

12. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Same thing happened to me last year with Chase. Ended up losing my pre-order. Still got the model I wanted on day 1, but I guess I'll use my PNC card when I get around to paying for my pre-order today.

13. Starrbuck macrumors regular

See if you can set Chase to text you for those kind of things. Then maybe you'll know sooner and can do something about it more quickly.

14. cynics macrumors G4

Any time critical purchase of any significant cost it's in your best interest to call your credit card to pre approve the purchase. I've done this with lawyers and home renovations that they run the card on site.

Discover has blocked ever single Apple purchase I've ever had. It's annoying yes but I'm thankful they are looking out for my best interest.

15. menist macrumors regular

menist

*Update: I cancel my order and reorder again. Now it got through and my chase account shows a pending charge.

16. Prise macrumors regular

For time sensitive purchases, I never use cards with sensitive fraud alert algorithms. I've had this happen with Chase over the years, and will never use them for iPhone pre-order.

Lesson learned. Next time, use a different card!

17. rritterson macrumors 6502

That's some BS from AT&T. At least Apple will hold your spot in line for you to correct the billing/charges with your bank.

18. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Bank of America:

Buy a $3300 Macbook Pro, no problem.

Buy a $50 case, fraud alert.

*sigh*

19. cynics macrumors G4

Like I mentioned just call ahead. I wouldn't want to own a card without sensitive fraud algorithms. Seems risky to knowingly link your credit score to a card that you know has Busch league security protocols.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yep, Chase did this to me in the past as well.

21. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

^^^This is another reason I never order from AT&T. With Apple, if there's an issue with the credit card, they give you a chance to correct it without affecting the ship date.

22. mguti macrumors member

I used chase as well, just checked online and I have a pending charge from apple. So hopefully I'm good!

23. sobucky macrumors 6502

THIS JUST HAPPENED TO ME RIGHT NOW!.... I had to call apple to fix the situation. What I did was apple call/email me to call them cus the processing was not going through... I call my my CC company and ask if everything was okay and they said it was fine and the problem is apple end. They gave me a approval code to give the apple rep to push the order through... After I did that the rep said it went through and it should be fine now and the issue is resolved.

24. jbraua, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

jbraua macrumors newbie

The same thing happened to me, but I didn't get an alert from Chase at all. I received an email at 10:25 CST this morning and have being trying to correct the problem ever since. Chase was easy to contact, but I have been unable to contact apple via phone or correct the problem on the website. Apple's email told me I needed to contact them or update my account after I spoke with my bank. I have been on hold with apple customer service for 1:19:03 at this moment. Apple store online keeps telling me "oops...something went wrong" each time I try to update or edit my order. Anyone know another way around this?

Update at 11:56AM CST: sure enough, as soon as I post this, the transaction clears my bank. So I guess Apple didn't actually need me to "contact them or update my order" after all.

25. sobucky macrumors 6502

When I got the email, they gave me a extension to a specific rep