Chase: Over 1 Million Wallets Provisioned on Apple Pay

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
49,579
10,893



During its investor call today, Chase announced (via AppleInsider) that over 1 million customers have provisioned their credit and / or debit cards for use with Apple Pay. Additionally, the company provided a look at the demographics of its Apple Pay users.
Eileen Sierra, CEO of Chase Card Services, said that its customers who use Apple Pay tend to be young and have higher incomes, with 69 percent of their Chase card Apple Pay transactions credit based.

Sierra also revealed that the financial company has seen "good growth" in the number of its customers provisioning their cards on Apple Pay. Those customers have been using their Chase cards through Apple Pay at the top five merchants 58 percent of the time, with all remaining merchants making up the remaining 42 percent.

While Apple hasn't provided adoption details on Apple Pay, CEO Tim Cook did announce in January that Apple Pay accounted for two of every three contactless dollars spent on American Express, Visa and MasterCard. Bank of America announced in January that nearly 800,000 of its customers were using Apple Pay, and point-of-sale suppliers have seen a massive increase in interest following Apple Pay's launch last October.

Although Apple Pay is having early success in the United States, it has yet to expand past its borders. Reports indicate Apple is in talks with Canadian partners to launch Apple Pay in that country as soon as March, while Visa today announced it would launch tokenization in Europe in mid-April, paving the way for Apple Pay to expand into the continent.

Article Link: Chase: Over 1 Million Wallets Provisioned on Apple Pay
 

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
606
290
NYC
Chase: Over 1 Million Wallets Provisioned on Apple Pay
This is why Google Wallet is such a joke by comparison -- it has been "released" since 2011 and still hasn't achieved anything remotely close to what Apple Pay did in a few short months.
 

Seoras

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
486
810
Scotsman in New Zealand
Essential

There was a day when having a computer at home was a luxury and then the day came when it became a necessity, even for the computer illiterate (banking, tax returns, on line shopping, keeping touch with family, etc).
The App that did it for the PC was the web browser (which drove the online technological revolution)

I can't help but feel that the smart phone is maturing faster from luxury to necessity especially when I see how well Apple Pay is doing.
Loved by all. The consumers, the banks and the retailers.

This is the killer App that makes owning one essential.
 

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
1,349
764
Toronto
This is why Google Wallet is such a joke by comparison -- it has been "released" since 2011 and still hasn't achieved anything remotely close to what Apple Pay did in a few short months.
And yet it has the potential to reach far more people via their Android phones. Unfortunately, neither Google nor Apple care much for Canada, so I'm here, paying my wine (of course Californian - anything Cupertino!111!!) with one of my cards in my faux leather wallet.
 

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
462
0
Chase could have had one more person ( me ) if only they allowed the specific Chase Visa Card ( business card ) I use everywhere. Oh well, CITI Visa card got that spot.

I also wish more places accept Apple Pay. Whole Foods and Walgreens are the only places I have used it. Given how convenient it is, I wish restaurants and gas stations take it. Frequency wise, that is my top two swipe merchants.
 

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
751
1
This is why Google Wallet is such a joke by comparison -- it has been "released" since 2011 and still hasn't achieved anything remotely close to what Apple Pay did in a few short months.
Yow... the pure defensiveness in your post is scary.

Instead of concentrating on praising Apple for their good job, you have to immediately bring up their competition and squeeze in a jab. Even though Google Wallet's overall adoption is not the fault of Google at all, but the fault of the cell phone carriers who made every attempt to block it for the last four years.

Android's success seems to affect you in a very personal way, so much you feel you need to lash out at them unprovoked. It's very obvious, you may want to dial it back a bit.

I know this is a Mac fan site and all, but try to show a little maturity.
 
Last edited:

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
649
516
Utah
This is why Google Wallet is such a joke by comparison -- it has been "released" since 2011 and still hasn't achieved anything remotely close to what Apple Pay did in a few short months.
I never understood why people like you say this, do you understand that all of the phone companies except TMobile blocked their application? Do you understand that you can't get a foot in the door if they keep it locked and guarded 24/7?

Geez, get over yourself and your apple fandom
 

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
649
516
Utah
This is why Google Wallet is such a joke by comparison -- it has been "released" since 2011 and still hasn't achieved anything remotely close to what Apple Pay did in a few short months.
Again another misinformed message from someone that doesn't understand why Google didn't have the success apple is having.

That's okay, APPLE IS AWESOME!
 

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
1,092
1,235
I never understood why people like you say this, do you understand that all of the phone companies except TMobile blocked their application? Do you understand that you can't get a foot in the door if they keep it locked and guarded 24/7?

Geez, get over yourself and your apple fandomi
Google has had four years to go around those problems that apple has shown they can do. Apple pay doesn't rely on the carriers, that is Google's fault and failure. If you can't get your foot in the door, find another door.
 

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
751
1
Google has had four years to go around those problems that apple has shown they can do. Apple pay doesn't rely on the carriers, that is Google's fault and failure. If you can't get your foot in the door, find another door.
Heh, how quickly you forget that Apple is the one who calls the shots because they bully American carriers into doing whatever they want. But that's beside the point.

Google has already found another door. They recently bought Softcard, so soon Google Wallet will have support of all four American cell phone carriers. This will allow them to have their app on every Android device sold around the world.
 

kcirtap00

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
131
329
I never understood why people like you say this, do you understand that all of the phone companies except TMobile blocked their application? Do you understand that you can't get a foot in the door if they keep it locked and guarded 24/7?

Geez, get over yourself and your apple fandom
That's Google's fault for putting themselves in the position of being at the mercy of the phone carriers. Apple hasn't allowed carrier politics to influence the iPhone since it was launched. Verizon wanted to load iOS with their own bloatware and Apple said no.
 

sohelpme

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
68
1
Those customers have been using their Chase cards through Apple Pay at the top five merchants 58 percent of the time, with all remaining merchants making up the remaining 42 percent.
Yes. That is EXACTLY how percentages work. If some things account for 58% of a total, then all the rest account for 42%. If it doesn't, you need to go back and redo remedial math.
 

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
1,349
764
Toronto
Yow... the pure defensiveness in your post is scary.

Instead of concentrating on praising Apple for their good job, you have to immediately bring up their competition and squeeze in a jab
I'm glad we have such balanced members like yourself here, otherwise it'd be a total Apple-Fanboy-Fest, but with people like you taking out those fanboys with a sniper-like precision there's nothing to fear :) . Thanks for your contributions so far (and now, finally write something nice about Apple... lol, just joking :) )
 

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
751
1
I'm glad we have such balanced members like yourself here, otherwise it'd be a total Apple-Fanboy-Fest, but with people like you taking out those fanboys with a sniper-like precision there's nothing to fear :) . Thanks for your contributions so far (and now, finally write something nice about Apple... lol, just joking :) )
I paid for my McDonalds tonight using my iPhone 6 and Apple Pay. How's that? :cool: :apple:
 

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
11,030
14,844
Central U.S.
I've only used it a few times but it was kinda fun and simple to use. Retailers are going to be the biggest roadblock to this with them wanting to collect every last piece of information about us. That's why I'm worried Google will ultimately win: they will give them everything for market share because they are market share whores. Even though they make more money off of iOS users than Android, they still keep at it.
 

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
353
5
Where is the graphic showing how Apple pay users include significantly more hipsters than the non users? :eek::rolleyes:;)
 

kcirtap00

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
131
329
Oh, of course it doesn't. Market share only demonstrates Android's overall success.

But, you're right. That hardly means anything... :cool:
Where to begin....

Its an old example but Ford vs Ferrari. Clearly one is better than the other even though Ford market share is significantly higher.

Time and time again its been shown that iPhone users spend more on apps and services which is why they are targeted first by developers instead of android users. Should success be measured by how many people have androids but don't use them for anything?

Apple's revenue is at a worldwide record high (with smaller market share). And Android phone manufacturers like Samsung are tanking. Does making little profit constitute success in your book?
 

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
5,169
3,192
Manchester, UK
Oh, of course it doesn't. Market share only demonstrates Android's overall success.
So let me guess. Every single company, including some supermarkets makes cheap plastic phones/tablets and slaps on them a free OS called Android, and put it on a market for cheaper then an evening meal with a glass of wine, and because all this trash in a world is sold on a bigger number then the products of a single company who sales premium products, its called success???

Yeah, right. Whatever makes you happy :)

I never understood why people like you say this, do you understand that all of the phone companies except TMobile blocked their application? Do you understand that you can't get a foot in the door if they keep it locked and guarded 24/7?
So, was it impossible for Google do do it in the way Apple did, and before Apple did? Or it had to wait four years until Apple made it relevant?
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.