Cheap 16GB RAM alert (again)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bill-p, Jan 7, 2012.

1. bill-p macrumors 65816

2. Bluedog54 macrumors member

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Just got it, thanks.

The prices seem to be falling down quickly. I am sure in 2 months it's going to be $80.

4. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

WOW, just three months ago it was 10x more expensive. Boy is this a tempting deal.

Question: will my 2.3GHz i5 Macbook Pro (early 2011) accept all 16gb? Anyone actually tried it on theirs?

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I have an early 2011 MBP (i7, 15") and this will definitely work. I googled around and reading reviews about this particular model of RAM and it works fine with the 2011 MBP.

This is the model:

Corsair CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9

Good brand. I used to build PCs with their parts.

6. bill-p thread starter macrumors 65816

Many have tried it, I believe. It's the only pair of RAM that have gone down significantly over time.

I just put them in my 15" Early 2011 i7 model (2.0GHz), and so far so good. Lightroom and Photoshop seriously love this much RAM. It looks like I won't be creating a RAM disk after all.

7. Elevon macrumors regular

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Well that would require 16GB sodimms. I haven't seen it personally. You can use 16GB dimms on some desktops/workstations. You may see it start to materialize for laptops by next year. At this point you can get to 32GB cheap enough in a desktop. Most of the time if someone is doing work that requires that much ram, they aren't using a laptop as their primary machine. It's actually quite easy to make use of 16GB of ram. Prior to SL the reason it wasn't practical was due to the lack of 64 bit programs under OSX.

10. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

11. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

It will

12. Papanate macrumors regular

Yes it will. Check your manual or go Here
    to get exact specs for your model.

You can also click on 'About this Mac/More Info/System Report/Memory to see what you currently have installed.

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Of course it would require 16GB DIMMs....

This notion of "real work is done on a desktop" is beginning to breakdown. I have no problem chewing through 16GB. Types of work vary.

14. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Very tempting! Never tried that brand before. Currently running Crucial upgrade to 8GB and never had any problems.

15. rebby macrumors 6502

Great deal. Can't go wrong w/$2 shipping either.

16. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The people who bought it at $1,600 must be in great pain right now...

17. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yup :) - then again if they spent 1.6k for 16GB RAM they must have a few bucks.

18. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

19. bill-p thread starter macrumors 65816

Here are some screen caps and two photos of the packaging for those who are curious.

It's quite notable that there is no easy way to take the RAM out of the package (which is a bit too minimal for my taste) without cutting the UPC out, but you need the UPC for the rebate.

According to Corsair's rebate site, the deal is good through Jan 12. And Fry's seems to have plenty of stock.

Lion happily took 1.5GB for cache (512MB additional for the integrated Intel HD Graphics), and Windows 7 64-bit under Bootcamp also happily took 1.5GB for cache.

Attached Files:

20. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Probably useless question, but since it's here anyway so I thought I'd ask. Anyone successfully add 2x8GB RAM in MBP (2010 6,1). Probably not since max is 8GB and anything higher won't be "seen" right? Just want to confirm.

21. cliffr39 macrumors newbie

If the motherboard doesn't support 16gb it's not a matter of "not seeing" it (as in only using part of it that it can see and ignoring the rest ie: 8/16), but more that it may not boot up with ram the motherboard can't communicate successfully with.

22. SayMilesAway macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

Man if only I hadn't bought my 8GB of ram a few months ago. Not that 16gb is necessary for me but hey, why not?

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It is to a degree especially when you can plug large displays into your laptops. It's just that I hit a wall on certain things. Laptop gpus aren't designed for some of my modeling tasks. Laptops run much hotter, and I still don't feel they have the stability/reliability of a quality desktop when run hard on a daily basis. I truly don't care about the appearance of the machine. If it does the job without compromise, it's fine. Even if I used my laptop, I've got a bunch of large displays, printers, etc. that basically anchor me to one place anyway, and beyond that if you're working on something for a longer period of time, it helps to have things set up in an ergonomic fashion.

And yeah 16GB dimms are out for desktops. They come out on desktops before laptops due to the lower density requirement, and I'm just starting to see them there now. I wouldn't be surprised if we see laptop 16GB dimms at some point in 2012. Demand for higher density ram was slowed immensely by the number of applications that were stuck at 32 bit prior to a year or two ago. Demand for higher densities is increasing because more applications can really make use of it when working with large files, and the need to rely on virtual memory should start to fade at least temporarily. It's definitely getting to a point where things are less IO bottlenecked when dealing with large amounts of data.

24. chillfrilla macrumors member

whats ur benchmark for 16gb of ur 2.0ghz macbook

25. rebby macrumors 6502

Depends on their work. Chances are, if you're buying RAM at that price point, that you use your computer to generate cash flow and that 16GB would be a major benefit to your work. In that case, it's all about ROI.