Cheap Domain Names?

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get cheap domain names from? I already have hosting and I want to get a domain name to transfer to my host. My host costs $15 a year for domain registration and I know there are cheaper places so I just planned on transferring it to my host. Can you recommend any?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Fuquay Varina, NC
You don't need to transfer the name to your host whatsoever. You simply set the name servers for your domain to be the name servers your web host provides. You do this using the tools the registrar (godaddy.com) provides - although some more advanced users may use custom DNS services such as MyDomain.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
thanks yall...you know I tried godaddy and it was like $8.95 for a year so I just went with one of my web hosts (1and1.com) and they were only $5.99 for a year .com registration...thanks though :)

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
jayeskreezy said:
thanks yall...you know I tried godaddy and it was like $8.95 for a year so I just went with one of my web hosts (1and1.com) and they were only $5.99 for a year .com registration...thanks though :)

I've been using 1and1 for two years with no problems. I have 3 different domains under one hosting package. They are very good.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Watch out on some of the cheap registration sites (not saying this is true of any of the mentioned sites), you can get hit with $ 50 - $100 "service charge" if you ever try to transfer the registration away from them instead of renewing through them.

Also, if your registration company goes out of business, and the admin contacts point to them, it's a pain in the @$$ to transfer registration to another company.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
i've been using registerfly.com for mine and been consolidating my domains there.

mostly because they seem to be able to handle bulk domain managemetn relatively easily, and the cost is reasonable. $9.99 for regular price. but they often send out specials so renewals and registrations can be cheaper.

arn

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I like using No-IP.com. Its just a DNS service, so you need to run your own server or have a place setup already. I have Ducktapeandglue.com going to my server at home on a cable modem, and Russo's site redirect to .Mac where it is hosted. I their admin tools are easy to use, and I can get free .no-ip.com names and use them for redirecting to other stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.