Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I also have this, mainly noticeable if I tap with the end of my finger and my nail touches it, cheap/hollow sound. But I know I won't notice it in a week.

nemesis4670

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2013
Another weirdo thread. The glass is thinner and the device is thinner. So of course it will have more flex. It doesn't flex with real use... only if you're pushing on it to prove a point. The iPad 4 was like a brick so the glass was thick... at that point they didn't care because it weighed too much to begin with.

You guys must be typing like cave men pecking keys for the first time. Sure, if I tap on it like a retard it's loud. TAP TAP TAP DERP DERP DERP.

But using it regularly and typing like a normal human being with actual fingers, instead of stubby sausages for fingers, it is silent and feels exactly the same as any other iPad. Just as responsive if not more so because of the A7 chip.

Again guys... add yet another thread to the pile of silly complaints from people wanting to find reasons to not have to pay for one. You will LOVE it if you're not a nitpicky person who is never pleased with anything.

rangen

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
Another weirdo thread. The glass is thinner and the device is thinner. So of course it will have more flex. It doesn't flex with real use... only if you're pushing on it to prove a point. The iPad 4 was like a brick so the glass was thick... at that point they didn't care because it weighed too much to begin with.

You guys must be typing like cave men pecking keys for the first time. Sure, if I tap on it like a retard it's loud. TAP TAP TAP DERP DERP DERP.

But using it regularly and typing like a normal human being with actual fingers, instead of stubby sausages for fingers, it is silent and feels exactly the same as any other iPad. Just as responsive if not more so because of the A7 chip.

Again guys... add yet another thread to the pile of silly complaints from people wanting to find reasons to not have to pay for one. You will LOVE it if you're not a nitpicky person who is never pleased with anything.

hilarious

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Lol very challenging for sure

Yes challenging for iSheep and those that must have just to show off. Have given Apple plenty of money, I"m entitled to an opinion. You"ll get what I'm saying soon don't worry. Was just like both of you until i saw the light. Over hyped marketing minimal speed gain in reality etc.

The kool aid is free from my system. Unlike many.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Yes challenging for iSheep and those that must have just to show off. Have given Apple plenty of money, I"m entitled to an opinion. You"ll get what I'm saying soon don't worry. Was just like both of you until i saw the light. Over hyped marketing minimal speed gain in reality etc.

The kool aid is free from my system. Unlike many.

Lol

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
tapping on it feels like you're tapping on the side of a plastic cup right? same thing with the iPad Mini

definitely notice it compared to the iPad 3 that i have.

when they said they were literally looking at every layer to shave off millimeters...they weren't kidding lol

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
anyone else feels the screen seems a bit cheap and plasticky?
it has an annoying cheap plastic tapping sound whenever you tap on it, it doesnt feel quite as solid and premium as my ipad 3

I thought i was the only one. Its not less sensitive so i dont care that much but yes it feels less quality.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
I'd say the screen feels the same, but tapping it sure sounds cheap.

Some of the sounds coming form the speaker sound cheap as well.
Camera click, keyboard click, etc compared to iOS 6 on the 4.

More contrast in colors , gamma seems set to darken lows.

if you don't mind the look of iOS 7 it still is a nice upgrade.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I'd say the screen feels the same, but tapping it sure sounds cheap.

Some of the sounds coming form the speaker sound cheap as well.
Camera click, keyboard click, etc compared to iOS 6 on the 4.

More contrast in colors , gamma seems set to darken lows.

if you don't mind the look of iOS 7 it still is a nice upgrade.

You don't like 7. You will get used to it. It's not a big deal IMHO

Frankly, I was shocked at first, now I don't notice anything.

Which is actually a bit odd as all the colors are bright neon :D

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Doesn't seem cheap to me.

Everything feels the same as my old iPad 1, except that it's far lighter. If just a lighter feeling makes you think it's cheap, then it's you, I guess.

Feels solid and nice to me. Feels like glass and metal should - does not feel like cheap plastic or anything like that.

The difference between the Air and the older full-size iPad screens is so obvious it's hilarious. Definitely feels more plastic, despite clearly just being thinner glass. If you don't notice it, great. But it's there. Not a big deal, just a little disconcerting at first. It's just like the mini.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom

Things will be paper thin in years to come.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Having used a Mini almost exclusively for months now, I was expecting this. Going from the iPad 4 to a Mini, I thought the digitizer was plastic, but then saw shattered Mini digitizers on You Tube. The Air's screen feels exactly like the Mini, and it took me just a few days to get used to the Mini. Typing is louder, but it's a larger drum. ;)

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

I agree, one only notices the thinner glass when you actually tap it with your nail,,,I really detest people using their nails when tapping the screen with a perpendicular finger. You can't notice the difference much when using the flat of your digits...it is thinner glass of course, like the Mini...where have all you guys been living this past year??

Kaizen

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
I'm glad I'm not the only one... I thought I was just having a moment.

I think I understood it, but I'm not sure.

I swear I die a little inside every time someone on the interwebs says "could of" or "should of" instead of could've/should've. Another favorite of mine: for all intensive purposes.

Staying on topic, I'm tremendously disappointed by the iPad air because of the combination of cheap feeling materials and wonky brown/yellow and pink display :(

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Staying on topic, I'm tremendously disappointed by the iPad air because of the combination of cheap feeling materials and wonky brown/yellow and pink display :(

Take it back. The screen is thinner glass to reduce weight. It's the same with the iPad Mini. I'd give it a day or two (time I needed to get used to my Mini's thinner glass), and then take it back if it doesn't work for you.

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Anyone else notice the edges where the glass meets the sides are rough
or did i just get a lemon? I compared to my old iPad and iPhone 5s both of those are smooth

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Well, I did notice how soft the iPad Mini's screen was, I also noticed how much harder this one is.

Guitarpik

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Florida :/
I think this is the only "downgrade" I can see in going from the 1 to the air.

The 1 is a tank and feels solid. This feels a lot flimsier and hollow but I think we'll all get used to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.