Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeffbo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I dropped my 4g Touch and now there's a series of small cracks in the upper left corner (a bit of glass even fell out)! But the good news is that it still works fine. So I don't want to spend $100+ on new glass -- I'd be happy to just make sure it doesn't get worse, because I'm worried about the cracks getting bigger if I don't do something about it. Any suggestions? Is there some sort of superglue-type adhesive to just stop it from cracking anymore, or maybe a screen protector that will hold it together?

I need your expert advice -- thanks!

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If you don't drop it again, I don't think it would get worst. Unfortunately, the best way to get it fixed is by Apple, which might run you some money. I would buy a screen protector (so you aren't touching the broken glass).

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
It's most likely going to crack even more. Cracks in glass always get bigger over time. I'm sure there is something you could put on it to prevent the glass from cracking even more, but I'm not sure what that would be. You would need to Google that one.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
eBay! Paypal takes bank information now too so you don't even need to charge to a credit card! I'm on my 4th 3Gs screen. If you don't mind waiting a month for shipping, you can get a new screen for around $10 or less from hong kong. If you don't want to wait so long, find one from a USA seller, however expect to pay more. Not sure how hard it is to replace it on the iPod Touch 4G, but its fairly painless on the 3Gs if you're patient.

EDIT: As for it continuing to crack, trust me with experience. Once you have even a nick, all it takes is a 1 foot fall for the entire thing to completely shatter and you'll be losing glass all over the place.

chenahfu

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
iPod touch 4th gen. Digitizer is fuse to the glass. So it cost much much more to replace.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
iPod touch 4th gen. Digitizer is fuse to the glass. So it cost much much more to replace.

..The Digitizer is fuzed to the glass on all iPods/iPhones. The Glass + Digitizer is 6 dollars. If for whatever reason the LCD is also fused together with it, expect the cost to jump to around $50

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Then just take it to Apple if you have an 8GB. It's $99 for 8GB, $149 for 32GB, and $199 for 64GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.