Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple could be accelerating plans to introduce an ad-supported Apple TV+ tier, based on a number of recent hires by the company.

apple-tv-plus-banner.jpg

Business Insider reports that Apple recently recruited Joseph Cady, who worked as an ad executive for NBCUniversal for over 14 years. Cady's focus was on data-driven and targeted advertising, including responsibility for the Comcast subsidiary's partnerships with Amazon, Google, TikTok, and others, according to the report.

Cady is expected to work with Winston Crawford, Apple's head of global ad sales. Apple's TV+ team reports to Crawford, who also helped lead Apple's Major League Soccer ad sales pitch with Todd Teresi, lead of Apple's ads division.

The report also mentions several other recent recruits to Apple's ads team, such as Chandler Taylor (formerly a video ads account manager with Peacock), Jacqueline Bleazey from FanDuel's ad sales team, and Jason Brum, who has worked for DirecTV, NBCUniversal, and more.

Apple has not indicated one way or the other whether an ad-supported tier for TV+ is in the works, but it would make sense given that Netflix, Disney+, and Max all now offer ad-based plans at a discounted price.

Apple increased its TV+ subscription prices in October to $9.99 a month from $6.99 a month, while the annual subscription price increased from $69 per year to $99 per year, so a more affordable option would make sense from a competitive perspective.

Article Link: Cheaper Apple TV+ With Ads Plan a Possibility, Recent Job Hires Suggest

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
sorry but i am not paying for adverts. i get why they want to do it and why netflix etc are doing it but it feels wrong to pay for adverts lol.

if i'm being shown ads then i expect to be getting access for free (well, i know my data is what pays for it lol). companies are far too greedy. they want our data AND money.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
I feel like they are already creeping ads in to shows. if i wanted to watch previews of other shows i would, its annoying to have to skip three time just wo watch a show. its not worth it price as is with ads that's for sure due to its super limited content. Don't get me wrong some of the content is great.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Yeah just like some other services do.

1. Introduce ad supported tier for $1 dollar less.
2. Increase price of normal tier by $5
3. Increase price of ad supported tier for $1-$2.
Netflix are already working on yet another price increase.

The ad tier is £4.99 here. I suspect it'll be at £7 soon. And the standard tier will go from £10.99 to £11.99-12.99. Their stupid money grabbing 4K tier will probably hit ~£20 (currently £17.99 lmfao).

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I feel like they are already creeping ads in to shows. if i wanted to watch previews of other shows i would, its annoying to have to skip three time just wo watch a show. its not worth it price as is with ads that's for sure due to its super limited content. Don't get me wrong some of the content is great.
I know Amazon would show previews even though I had paid full price for Prime (not just video). It's infuriating. Now they are charging more to NOT see ads.

I got Apple TV+ 3 months free with my MacBook Air and i think i've only added 3 shows to my watch list. I'll accept the offer soon but I can't see myself subscribing long term. The library looks bad. On my list is Silo, Severance, and The Morning Show (i think that's what it's called). I did watch a free episode of Ted Lasso but not sure of that but I might give that a shot.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I'm on a free trial of Apple TV+ at the moment after buying a Mac Mini last year. I only activated the trial about a month ago.

Based on what I've seen so far, unless the ad supported tier is free I won't be keeping it.
The content just isn't compelling enough for me. Other streaming services provide me more of what I want to watch.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Netflix are already working on yet another price increase.

The ad tier is £4.99 here. I suspect it'll be at £7 soon. And the standard tier will go from £10.99 to £11.99-12.99. Their stupid money grabbing 4K tier will probably hit ~£20 (currently £17.99 lmfao).
I cancelled mine. Will alternate between the different providers from now on

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I'm on a free trial of Apple TV+ at the moment after buying a Mac Mini last year. I only activated the trial about a month ago.

Based on what I've seen so far, unless the ad supported tier is free I won't be keeping it.
The content just isn't compelling enough for me. Other streaming services provide me more of what I want to watch.
i don't think netflix is all that great anymore but i have about 10 things on my watch list. much better than Apple TV+.

whenever Neuromancer comes out I'll pay as much as Apple want for me to watch it :D

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I cancelled mine. Will alternate between the different providers from now on
yeah same. i don't subscribe to any service every month. i usually bounce between Netflix and Amazon. I haven't subbed to Disney+ in a long time lol. I'll use my 3 month free trial of ATV+ but I can't see myself actually paying for it.

The rest of the tv subs don't interest me.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
i don't think netflix is all that great anymore but i have about 10 things on my watch list. much better than Apple TV+.

whenever Neuromancer comes out I'll pay as much as Apple want for me to watch it :D
I'm mainly working through Disneys catalogue at the moment, but my wife loves some Netflix shows. My daughters all seem to be split between Disney and Netflix, so they have to stay, for the moment.
There's also Prime Video which comes bundled with my Amazon Prime - but I don't use that much.

Silo is definitely a highlight on Apple TV+!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I'm already p**sed at Apple for having trailers for other shows before episodes, so full-on ads would not go down well with me...

Now, since I get Apple TV+ via Apple One, I'm not sure I'll actually get rid of them, but it would mean I didn't actually watch any thing... and that feels like the most feeble, empty threat I've seen in a while, but it's all I got... :p

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
I know Amazon would show previews even though I had paid full price for Prime (not just video). It's infuriating. Now they are charging more to NOT see ads.

I got Apple TV+ 3 months free with my MacBook Air and i think i've only added 3 shows to my watch list. I'll accept the offer soon but I can't see myself subscribing long term. The library looks bad. On my list is Silo, Severance, and The Morning Show (i think that's what it's called). I did watch a free episode of Ted Lasso but not sure of that but I might give that a shot.
The first two are super great shows I really got in to them. It’s a long wait for season two of Silo so pace yourself.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Turns out that all these streaming services just want to be classic tv channels 🤷🏻🤷🏻
Next thing you know classic tv will be ads-free
8iye8c.jpg

I'm mainly working through Disneys catalogue at the moment, but my wife loves some Netflix shows. My daughters all seem to be split between Disney and Netflix, so they have to stay, for the moment.
There's also Prime Video which comes bundled with my Amazon Prime - but I don't use that much.

Silo is definitely a highlight on Apple TV+!
I only used Disney for Star Wars and some old Disney/Pixar animated movies. If I ever want to rewatch Star Wars i'd sub for a month or whenver Toy Story 5 comes out lol. I didn't really enjoy some of the SW shows and the last Mandalorian sucked. There's nothing else on it for me.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I wish we all had the will power to stop any of these streaming companies to keep raising prices, especially on the add free tiers. If everyone just canceled would send a powerful message. I know that would never happen, but that is what it will take to stop this stuff from happening.

What makes the increases worse, is the streaming companies keep adding sports, which are so overpriced now with the millions being paid to the athletes of any sport, which then help contribute to the costs increasing. They should have sport tiers and raise those prices and keep non sports tiers for the many people that could care less.

I am a sports person, but I could don’t have Netflix and other streaming companies for sports.

I_Sheep

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2024
sorry but i am not paying for adverts. i get why they want to do it and why netflix etc are doing it but it feels wrong to pay for adverts lol.

if i'm being shown ads then i expect to be getting access for free (well, i know my data is what pays for it lol). companies are far too greedy. they want our data AND money.
Do you not think they’re already rinsing you for your data? Ad tiers are more profitable for the streaming platforms than they’re lower paid ad-free tiers

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
At some point, streaming becomes so expensive that the managers of these companies are oddly asked if it's easier for us customers to watch them on the Fmoviez site alike and don't pay. The entire beauty of streaming was to have low prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.