Cheaper good options to the 24" LED Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Alvi, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

So I'm looking for a 20 - 27" Display to connect both my Mac and also my PC Workstation, it doesn't have to be LED but definitely cheaper than 899$
    I've seen some Dell 21.5" ones for around 300 bucks on the web, is the picture quality good? That's one of my most important specs since I'm currently using a LG 20" Display which really sucks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Dell U2410… it's a bit cheaper, is antiglare, and is fully featured.

In terms of panel quality is as good if not better than the Apple Cinema Display.

3. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

Apple Cinema Displays are often available used or as refurbished models. Don't know about the availability of refurbished models in Mexico though. In the USA, a refurbished LED Cinema Display is typically $599 (savings of 33%). I have one and I'm very satisfied.

4. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

Still a bit high, but looks like an awesome option!

Yeah our Apple Store is supposed to have refurbs but it doesn't have any :(

5. macboy4 macrumors regular

6. dazey macrumors 6502

I looked into 24" monitors for a job about 3 months back and I came to the conclusion that the best value quality screen was the HP LP2475W screen (which is an S-IPS panel). This is of course more expensive than the cheaper TN panels. I am actually considering getting one myself in the next month or so. Either one of these or a 30" monitor. I haven't done the research on the 30" units though.
    As well as the 24" S-IPS we also bought some of the cheaper HP 22" TN panel screens and the difference was very obvious.

7. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

I would buy that one straight away, sadly they don't sell it in the Dell Store of Mexico, I'll see if i can find it anywhere, because the resolution, webcam, and other features make it a great deal :)

8. soup4you2 macrumors regular

I went with 2x BenQ 24" displays.. you can look around but their pretty inexpensive and pretty good quality.

9. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

This is a good choice. Enough inputs to plug in everything you need.

10. malana macrumors member

eizo ev2333wh-bk

since I can´t be arsed to fiddle around with calibrating programs that cannot be calibrated. simply an excellent panel.

edit: 2475 is decent, I'm sure, but if you work in compositing AND print AND web, no wide gamut for me

11. Justinf79 macrumors 6502

Justinf79

12. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

A lot of the smaller monitors are 1080P too.

On a Canadian site/store (canadacomputers.com) that I go to a fair bit, they have a nice looking LG, it's 1080P, 16:9 for $169.99 and a Samsung 21.5" 1080P for $189.99. They also have some other lesser known/ respected brands with similar/ cheaper products. Acer, Asus, BenQ, etc

So basically, you can get a nice 1080P display for under $200, you just might need to look around a bit

13. cube macrumors G5

Is there any other LED 1920x1200 monitor with DisplayPort?

14. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I don't think that it would be a problem to find LED backlit monitors with DP, BUT you will have a hard time finding such things with a decent panel (IPS or PVA).

15. eyeruh macrumors member

You may want to read about my experience with that monitor: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=7493609&highlight=#post7493609

That was close to a year ago & they may have fixed things up by now but the reviews on amazon indicated quite a few people had an experience similar to mine. I needed something color accurate for my photographic work so I sent the HP back and bought the ACD 24". I really wish the screen wasn't glossy but aside from that, it's a great screen.

16. kxfrog macrumors regular

17. cube macrumors G5

There are few LED monitors, and then few DisplayPort monitors. I don't know of any combining the two besides Apple.

The Apple monitor is a no go because of the lack of buttons and inputs. I don't care about its panel.

18. SmellyTofu macrumors member

Except a CF card reader

19. SmellyTofu macrumors member

With the ACD, has anyone questioned your photos when viewing them on lesser monitors? I've been very tempted by the ACD because it looks absolutely fantastic but for some reason, the images just looks just a bit too real, maybe too fake. That's aside from the glossy screen issue.

I bought the U2410 though.. plus I got 15% off coupon to go along with it so it "sorta" is value for money.

20. dazey macrumors 6502

We bought about 4 or 5 of them and I didn't see any shimmering or backlight issues (but to be honest there was only one screen that I used critically for any time). Certainly none of them suffered from your shimmer problem

21. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

I might get the Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
    but want a true 1080p monitor for macpro

22. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

HP LP2475w.

24" with DP, HDMI, DVI, VGA, Component, etc.

IPS display(!)

Around $460-$550.
    :D

23. BeerdedOne macrumors member

24. shabbasuraj macrumors regular

If you are serious about image quality... stop looking at TN panels, and step up and get an IPS panel.

25. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

What do you do? Do you edit photos, design graphics, edit video, or is it for playing games, doing some email, and just a few snap shots in iPhoto?

Different displays are good for different people.

Eizos are good, and they have a lower cost line. I wouldn't buy a cinema display: not that great, and heavily overpriced.

Also look at NEC.

I don't know about Samsung, but I heard people like them for not so high end use. You may want to include Samsungs into your research.