Cheaper to Pay Early Termination Fee or buy iphone on Sprint??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marine0816, Jun 11, 2011.

1. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Ive been on a Apple high ever since I got my ipad 2 in March. Now all this icloud buzz got me thinking if it would easier if I had everything Apple so everything can work seamless in the cloud. I currently have 2(1 wife) Evo 4Gs with our contracts ending in june 2012. If the new iphone comes out for all carriers in September(hoping) my prorated early termination fee would be for $100, each of my two lines.

So my question is would it be easier to just cancel my Sprint accounts and pay the early termination fee and get the new iphone from verizon or ATT and get the new customer price. Or should I use the $75 for being a sprint preimere customer and stay on Sprint and use that credit to buy the iphone for Sprint? Which would be smarter and cheaper?

Thank You

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I don't know about smarter, but I think you have all the numbers you need so just do the math in terms of cheaper.

3. blazinz macrumors regular

Let's start first with waiting to see if other carriers pick up the iPhone, then the hypotheticals...;)

4. almac04 macrumors member

provided that sprint keeps its prices relatively the same, IMO i think it would be more economical to stay on the sprint network until they get an iPhone thus avoiding higher overall monthly usage charges for 3g meanwhile maintaining the confidence you have in sprints service and currently, the ViP4 and At&t ip4 dont have 4g and sprint's iphone might and this would definitely be better for you in the long run...

5. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Can't really make a decision on rumors. Sprint iPhone isn't for sure so wait and see.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

First of all, there is no Sprint iPhone. People have been waiting for a Verizon iPhone for years. You might be keeping your $75 for years, for all you know.

I would just cancel my Sprint contract and sell the Evos (they'll cover the ETF) and buy an iPhone on AT&T or Verizon. I'm not saying my decision is the smartest or most economic, but that's what I would do. You should have no issue selling the Evo for $200+ provided they are in good condition and have most, if not all, the original contents.

Even if there was a Sprint iPhone, your contract ends in a year, so you'd hypothetically have to pay up anyways if you wanted it now. Good thing Sprint still has $175 ETFs on smartphones, not $325.

7. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, what plan do you have now? First things first and that is to see how much the monthly plan will be. Then it depends if sprint does get the iPhone or not and if so, how much would you discount be? If it's only $75, then yes paying the early termination might be cheaper (the iPhone cost $600-$700 retail) so you get a $400 discount on the iPhone if you switch. Also you need to know how well at&t or verizon work in your area too before you make a final decision.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Ever since the $10 4g fee and at&t's mobile to any mobile feature the prices are alot closer than you think. My plan is only $10 more than it would be on sprint and that's because I still have the unlimited plan on my line.

9. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

I pay 80 for each plan plan and my discount would be 75 bucks.. and I live in DC so coverage is good everywhere no matter what provider.

10. pyro008 macrumors 6502

FYI, I've read on other forums about people calling Sprint and if they have a year or less left on their contract getting the full $150 discount. This seems to have some relation to the EVO 3D, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for a (possible) iPhone.
    here is the link: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3011929

11. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

thanks for the link.. if sprint was smart they would give this to all customers who call. im sure im not the only one would jump ship for a cheaper deal on a iphone

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Ok, I assume that means you have the $69 plan (450 minutes, unlimited texting, unlimited data, unlimited mobile to any mobile) plus the $10 4g fee = $79.

On AT&T that plan would be:
    $39 (450 min)
    + $20 (unlimited texting and mobile to any mobile)
    + $25 (2gb data)
    = $84

so you would be paying $5 more a month to switch for the same plan except you would lose unlimited data and unlimited weekends (the $39 plan comes with 5000 weekend minutes, but you would still have unlimited mobile to any mobile).

Hope this helps.

13. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Buy verizon iPhone 4 and put it on sprint. That's what I would do..

14. almac04 macrumors member

that would be real interesting to see... Like mine here! lol!

[​IMG]

15. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Part of it depends on what you want out of your iphone.

16. almac04 macrumors member

seriously though, i dont think its possible to put a ViP4 on the sprint network. the pic above is just a cydia app i used to change the carrier. My ViP4 is no longer jailbroken:(, but if I had to say, I would probably go with the At&t version simply b/c it seems as though there are more native options for the GSM model than the CDMA. Both are very similar but there are some fine differences, small but noticeable.