Cheapest/Oldest Mac Mini to stream video to my apple tv?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by spitboy2000, Dec 28, 2011.

1. spitboy2000 macrumors member

I've got two TB of video i want to be able to stream to my apple tv at any time thru airplay.

What is the cheapest/oldest Mac Mini that would be able to do this acceptably?

2. simsaladimbamba

If it is SD video, then a G4 or Intel Core Solo should suffice, if it is also HD video, you should look into Intel Core Duo or Intel Core 2 Duo Mac minis.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

For streaming, the host machine doesn't have to even do any processing. The original 1.25 GHz G4 Mac mini is sufficient to stream even the highest-resolution video, since it only has to shuffle bits, not actually decode anything.

The only requirement Apple makes is iTunes 10.2 or higher. Which means you need a G4 with 512 MB of RAM running Mac OS 10.5.

4. papoopeepoo macrumors member

I haven't tried it on my G4 mac mini, but I feel like streaming HD video would be possible.

As long as you don't want to view the video on that computer using the internal graphics card, a G4 should be able to stream HD video to an ATV.

As long as the computer can run the current iTunes, the computer should be fast enough. I recommend a G4 or core duo mac mini.

Again, not tested by me, so this is just a hypothesis.

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Everyone is right, technically being a host computer only needs to be able to serve up the raw data to the Apple TV which requires little to no processing power. With that said, I would hesitate to recommend anything less than an Intel based Mac Mini IF you don't already own a G4 mini. My reasoning is two fold:

1. A G4 Mac Mini is extremely old 5+ years which means it could die soon.
    2. At any point in time, Apple could stop supporting iTunes on a G4 and require a newer version of iTunes for Home Sharing to an Apple TV (i.e. new firmware requirements on the unit). Thus rendering the G4 Mac Mini useless.

However, if you go with a Core Duo based, at least you know you are covered thru Snow Leopard and thus should be able to run iTunes for a very long time on the Mac Mini.

Again it isn't the processing power of the unit I am concerned about, but G4 architecture being rendered useless by software upgrades.

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957