Cheapest Place for Apple Watch (UK)?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dino F, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

Hi!

I have been contemplating getting an Apple Watch for some time and have been watching the many threads on here for people's views on their watches.

Most people will probably say to hold off getting one now as Apple will probably announce a new one next month, however:

1 - Even if a new one is announced, its highly unlikely to actually be available next month (probably later in the year)

and

2 - If they do announce one next month, I'm 99% sure I will not be able to afford the price of the new version (it will most probably cost more than the current gen entry level watch which is £299).

So my question is, where would be the cheapest place to buy one (either in store or online)?

I have had a look around and stumbled on this:

http://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/app...NuoowdC0P8KxzYe9YhKqt0udZDSeTWRUMVBoCbiTw_wcB

...they have the 42mm Space Grey Aluminum watch at just £268 - thats definitely THE cheapest I have seen anywhere:eek:

Was also planning on getting one of these replica link bracelets:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0193VLC...lid=3D4CF8SR0DOJ9&coliid=I3A3PE6UR4N3LM&psc=1

Thoughts?

2. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

it's hard to say really I would have thought either really, I mean there going to want to clear there stock down of the old to bring in the new.

Depends where you go and if you can haggle....Most of the time deals are both in-store and online. You're best just keeping your eye closer to the time of the 2nd gen release IMO.

3. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Every few weeks either John Lewis or Curry's have discount, up to end of last week Curry's/PC World did have £50 off the price of the Sport and £100 off the price of the Stainless Steel Watch models. If you can wait a few weeks then the offers 'may' come up again.

Alternatively try Gumtree, I picked mine up in October last year, mint condition 42mm Black Sport with Product Red band and receipts for £250.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You've just missed the sales at Currys and John Lewis who both had a £50 discount on the Sports models. They both introduced the discounts for Xmas and Valentines Day so I would expect Mother's Day in two weeks or the Easter break in a months time to be the next possible sales opportunity.

5. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...thanks for the above replies - appreciated!! I'll keep an eye out for any more deals which may be coming up soon!

:)

6. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Also, be careful of dodgy deal sites and eBay sellers offering "brand new" ones for under RRP: these are rarely UK models (they're usually from Hong Kong) and that can cause issues in terms of warranty in the UK.

7. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

Hmm, that offer may have been too good to be true - their "online chat" on their website doesn't work (and just realized their website still shows Christmas decorations?!?!?)and their last tweet on twitter was in May 2015???? Lets see if they respond to questions on Facebook..............

8. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Definitely avoid!!!

9. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

On Amazon UK, they have an Apple Watch listed as "UK Model" for £295:

upload_2016-2-23_14-45-18.png

However, near the bottom on the same listing page, it states:

upload_2016-2-23_14-46-33.png

How can there be a newer model of the first pic??? I am confused?! :confused: And what does "UK Model" mean exactly - I thought there was only one model?!

And why is the first one priced at £295 and the second one is priced at £309.99 when they are EXACTLY THE SAME WATCH??

Attached Files:

10. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

The product code in the more expensive listing is correct (MJ3T2B/A, which is a UK 42mm Space Grey Sport), but with the first one being more vague I would suggest it is from Hong Kong, and by UK model they mean it comes with a three prong plug.

But might be worth buying the cheaper one and checking the product code on the box before opening it, you can return it if it is wrong.

Though either way you're better off waiting for the probable sale near Mother's Day, when you will be able to get one from John Lewis or Currys/PC World for £289.

11. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...thanks for the above - appreciated. ;)

I'll wait a little longer and see what offers are around nearer Mothers Day.

:)

12. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

And John Lewis will provide an extended warranty.

13. deany, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

deany macrumors 68020

deany

Hi Dino

I would definitely buy from either amazon or John Lewis both have a 30 day no quibble return policy (some say John Lewis is 3 month) but I'd aim for 30 days if you do return the item (I'm sure you'll be as happy as I am)
    I would probably buy from John Lewis if they were on offer again (due to the 2 year guarantee)
    As they aren't on offer I would buy from amazon. But a amazon 'Prime fulfied by amazon'

If you click: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZB1AH6A?keywords=apple watch sport 42mm&qid=1456307858&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

then the 13 new from £265 link, then scroll to
    • Business Name: DA TECH PRO LTD
    • Business Type: LTD
    • Trade Register Number: 09795709
    • Business Address:
      • Gullet wood road
      • watford
      • herts
      • WD25 0RH
      • GB
    I would pay the £294 in this instance. I would also invest in the applecare+ from apple [unless you have a contents insurance with an excess below £100.00 (which is a low excess)]

which would bring it to the about the same as John Lewis anyway but with the accidental damage cover http://www.johnlewis.com/apple-watc...grey-aluminium-case-sport-band-black/p2191494

Hopefully you have the excellent amazon Prime?

Hope this helps

Deany

14. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...thanks for the above - that's very helpful.

I actually remembered that I have a friend who works for Apple in Ireland - he's quoted me £280 (using his staff discount) for the 42mm Space Grey Sport model - which is probably THE best price I am gonna get, so will no doubt end up going with him!

A little off-topic but with Apple Care, do I have to buy Apple Care specific to the watch or does it cover all my Apple products (iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6)?

15. deany macrumors 68020

deany

Hi,

If you have a good friend who works for apple then thats great!

With the AppleCare+ it is specific to a product unlike 'contents insurance' which usually covers everything, within reason.

Your friend who works for apple can give you all the info on AppleCare+, and more I'm sure.

Cheers and good luck.

16. Tsara Bomba macrumors member

Tsara Bomba

I picked one up yesterday from a forum site that I am on, classified section. White 42mm Sport, boxed with plenty of warranty remaining, Spigen Tough Armour case for £210.00 next day delivery. Its is literally mint condition. Could easily pass it off as new. I have been a member on it for years and buy, swap & sell most of my tech on their.

Have it on my wrist as I type.

17. Leo90 macrumors 6502

eBay. I got a SS AW with black leather loop in excellent condition with Apple Care for 350 pounds :)

18. Big Ells macrumors 6502

Big Ells

I bought a Space Black SS watch off ebay for £300 last month, all packaging, receipt, mint with 6 months warranty left. Then got a genuine leather strap off AV Forums for £30!

19. xixi.li macrumors regular

I will buy it from apple ,even it a little expensive .
    But I do not worry about the quality and the aftersales service.

20. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...yea, I thought of looking on eBay but not entirely sure I would trust sellers' description - they sometimes advertise watches as new when they are not and also, I wouldn't be comfortable spending over £200 on a second hand product when you don't really know its history.....

21. Big Ells macrumors 6502

Big Ells

Just use a bit of common sense. If they have put up 1 picture and have zero feedback steer clear. I bought from a user with a few hundred positive feedback over the last couple of years and he had listed about 10 pictures from all angles. He was also happy to send me the serial number for me to check apple.

You are covered by paypal so worst case you have to send it back and get your money back.

I buy and sell loads on ebay and have only ever had to use ebay's money back guarantee twice.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2016 ---
    Example of a good listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Wat...779406?hash=item46482f710e:g:SR0AAOSwX~dWqPVi
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2016 ---
    Example of a crap listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Wat...703266?hash=item236387db62:g:TM4AAOSw~OVWzVEB

22. Leo90 macrumors 6502

Exactly, it is all about common sense. The seller was also happy to send me the serial number and more pictures when I needed. And with Apple care, you are more than safe!

23. leonagano macrumors newbie

Hi Dino. I've lauched a website to get smartwatches' prices from Currys, Argos, John Lewis and Very and bought my Apple Watch 38mm Sport in a £50 off deal.
    The website gets the price everyday from that websites.

Check it out: http://smrthings.com/?text=apple

Give your impressions.

24. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

Personally I would opt for John Lewis as they offer a 2 year warranty instead of Apple's standard 12 month guarantee.

I would have purchased mine from there had I not been so eager to buy it at the Apple Store on Regent Street last September!

25. Dino F, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016

Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

Just had a look at that link however, from what I can see, all the prices listed are the same as what you would pay on Apple's website.

Personally, I still think that getting the 42mm Space Grey Sports model, for £280, from my friend at Apple, is probably gonna be my cheapest option.

I would say that the ONLY thing holding me back is this: Am I crazy to buy one now (looking to order it next week), knowing that Apple's March event is so close (March 15th if rumors are correct!) where they will potentially be announcing a new model of Apple Watch (my views on this are in my original post!) ?!

I actually currently own a Pebble Time Steel and I gotta say that I do love its looks but it is seriously limited on iOS - can't reply to texts or calls (literally, all you can do is dismiss notifications. You cannot act on any of them) and this is the primary reason why I want an Apple Watch. I want to be able to experience what it is like to have full 100% functionality with my iPhone 6!!