Cheapest way for Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tkepongo, Mar 18, 2008.

1. tkepongo macrumors regular

tkepongo

I'm thinking of buy or making a gaming pc but its FREAKIN EXPENSIVE!! I just wanna play some RTS online. Im thinking of having:

dual processor (amd or intel)
    at least 2 gb ram
    at least 512 vram for video card
    windows xp
    decent sound card

that's all i really need...what would you guys recommend i do?

2. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Building it yourself is pretty much guaranteed to be significantly less expensive than buying it assembled. Hardware wise, I'd recommend Intel over AMD in general at present, and probably a 8800 GT or 9600 GT for a GPU (pretty powerful and won't break the bank). Depending on what you want to play, I wouldn't worry too much about being cutting-edge; RTS's usually aren't as taxing as the latest FPS's.

3. m1stake macrumors 68000

You can build a nice computer with XP, 2.2Ghz processor (e4500 intel), 2GB 800Mhz PC-6400 memory, 630i board, 8800GT 512 superclocked, etc. Not the latest and greatest, but absolutely incredible for the $500-$700 price.

Go to Micro Center and ask a few questions :)

4. minicoop503 macrumors regular

One word: Newegg

Buy a cheap Core 2 Duo processor (I have an e6300, which is older now).

Buy a nice, cheap, good overclocking motherboard (I have a Gigabyte DS3-L).

Buy a new, better cpu fan (around 50 dollars, zalman has always been good for me)

Overclock (I overclocked my e6300 from 1.86ghz to 3.01ghz)

Buy 2x1 gig sticks of ddr2 800 ram (ddr2 800 is cheap these days).

Buy a good graphics card (I have an 8800GT)

Buy a case (doesnt matter)

Buy a power supply (at least 550-600watts)

Buy a dvd drive (30 bucks)

Buy a hard drive (preferably sata II 3 gb/s)

You could probably do all of that in around 600-700, maybe 800 dollars.

Then there's other things you don't necessarily need, such as sound cards, speakers, etc.

5. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Buy an XBox.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Ain't got Company of Heroes.

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

That game is published by microsoft, so it's only a matter of time until it comes out on xbox. And even if it that particular game never comes out on a console, who cares? There are tons of great games for all the game consoles and these days there's little question that it's a much better choice to buy a console for your gaming needs instead of a computer.

8. minicoop503 macrumors regular

I disagree. IMO, there's so much more you can do with a game on a computer. You can make mods, download addon's etc. There's also usually a bigger online community, in the experiences I've had.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I know of two companies that might want to talk with you.

Console != Gaming PC

Ain't nothing like the real thing.

10. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Get a cheap core 2 duo processor like an e4300 and overclock it on stock cooling. You can save hundreds. Dont get a soundcard, just use the MB sound. Get a motherboard thats aroung $100 so it overclocks well.

Its pretty easy to build a cheap gaming PC but you didnt give your definition of "expensive"

11. tkepongo thread starter macrumors regular

tkepongo

um..i was thinking about $400-500 :rolleyes:

i mean, i already got a 360...so i just want something mediocre that can run rts like command and conquer 3, world in conflict and company of heroes

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm running CoH just fine on my computer. (30-65 fps at High Settings) Keep in mind I got the nice ~$550 price since I have a copy of XP and a spare SATA drive.

You can get a much better deal now with the 9600 GT and the newer E22xx Series.

13. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Agreed. This is exactly why I even have a Mac right now. I'm a recreational gamer, so obviously, when buying a computer I have to buy a computer that can be spec'd to run games. That was until I bought a XBox 360. I paid about 3-400 after it was all said and done, with games, accessories, xbox live, etc... However, this allowed me to buy a MacBook and switch to Mac in order to game, because I didn't have the money or the desire for a MBP, because disregarding the graphics card, there is nothing I desire in the MBP. That is my opinion about gaming. This is coming from an old school, hardcore pc gamer.

14. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

Do you have an Intel-based Mac? If so the cheapest method would be to buy a copy of Windows (XP or Vista) and use Boot Camp. It'll cost you about $100 - $150.

15. dog24 macrumors member

I agree, it is better to buy a console than a gaming rig. PS3 costs 600 dollars, I think, in the US, while a gaming rig will be 2k+ and in 2 years it will get old enough if not less, but PS3 has a lot of potential and you won't need to upgrade it in the long run, well, except the day when PS4 comes out, but that's probably in 10-15 years?

16. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I disagree with this but that's because I find the games on the PC much more interesting than those on console. And besides, tkeponogo said he wanted to play RTS games. As far as I know there are no (or at least good) RTS games available for console.

17. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Going through newegg.com you can find a nice setup with good overclocking potential from between $475 to $600 depending on the parts you choose.

For a minimal config.
    $70 Pentium D e2160 1.8Ghz Allendale O'c to 3Ghz easily
    $67 Gigabyte GA-G31M Motherboard Good O'c Option and Reviews
    $165 GeForce 9600GT
    $40 2GB DDR2 800
    $61 Case with PSU 400W
    $46 160GB HD
    $26 CD/DVD Burner
    $475

Better, PSU, Cooling, CPU, and storage
    $125 Core 2 Duo e4500 Allendale 2.2Ghz O'c to 3.2Ghz easily
    $27 CPU Cooler
    $6 Arctic Silver 5
    $67 Gigabyte GA-G31M Motherboard Good O'c Option and Reviews
    $165 GeForce 9600GT
    $40 2GB DDR2 800
    $25 Cheapo Case
    $45 500W Power Supply
    $70 320GB HD
    $26 CD/DVD Burner
    $596

Although you can probably skimp by with the 400W powersupply I would say to get the cheap case and 500W PSU. As for the CPU even clocked at the same speed the Core 2 Duo gets better gaming performance than the Pentium D probably because of the higher L2 cache since they are both based on the Allendale design. As for the CPU cooler you can overclock some without an aftermarket cooler but it does make you CPU run cooler and increases the overclock potential.

The motherboard is pretty skimpy on features, no SLI, 2 RAM slots, no firewire I chose it since it is cheap and has good overclocking features and the northbridge goes to 1333mhz FSB so you can overclock the CPU without overclocking other components; the CPU's listed are made for 800mhz FSB so that is a potential 67% O'C without affecting other components assuming the CPU can handle it:eek:. Due to the lack of RAM slots you may want to go to 4GB instead of 2GB.

Edit: These price are before Shipping and Handling and I am assuming you already have a keyboard, mouse, monitor and a copy of Windows.

18. minicoop503 macrumors regular

^^ Those parts aren't too bad, but don't get the pentium d. Core 2 Duo is much better.

19. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

For $500 the best thing to do is recycle parts from an older computer, like HDD/DVD/Case/RAM if it has ddr2. Upgrade only the critical components.

Why are people suggesting he get a console? He already said he has a 360. He wants to play strategy games, strategy games usually dont go to a console and when they do they are HORRIBLE.

20. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Company of Heroes is worth it, and NO it cannot be played on XBox 360.

21. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Its not a pentium D, its a Pentium Dual Core, its based on the Core 2 Allendale however cheaper. And there great little chips.

Pentium D and Pentium Dual Core are completely different.

22. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

I'm badgering my dad to let me build a gaming PC, but I have found some really cheap parts that will make a blazing fast machine:
    • AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition (for overclocking)
    • Asus M2N-SLi Mobo
    • 4GB Corsair Value Select Ram
    • 2 500GB Samsung SATA HDDs
    • Albatron GeForce 8800GT 512mb (possibly in sli, still deciding)
    • A cheap dvd drive
    • A dlink wireless dongle
    • CoolerMaster case
    • Thermaltake 750W PSU

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Core 2 still sadly takes Phenom to school even when its overclocked.

24. m1stake macrumors 68000

The phenoms DO NOT win the price-performance category, nor do they overclock like a core 2. So why buy it?

25. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

cos it's a helluva lot cheaper than the Core 2 duos in Australia. Plus, Even though I have an intel iMac, I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy, plus it's a bit more future proof...