Cheapest way to buy new 2.4 ghz MB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thr61, Oct 23, 2008.

1. thr61 macrumors newbie

I keep seeing references to a "live search" discount and an ebay discount etc. I want to buy a new MB (2.4 ghz with 4 GB RAM) and am interested in how to best pick one up. I can use my wife's faculty discount to get one for $1,746 (includes tax and the dvi adapter).

Can I get some help on beating that offer?

Thanks.

2. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Apple has very strict price control. You wont do any better than an education discount on a brand-new model like this, unless you wait 4-6 weeks for refurbs. I don't have access to an edu discount so the best I can do is $5 off list from Amazon, w/ free shipping and no sales tax.

Oh yeah. if you can use a small screwdriver you can save putting your own ram in; look at OWC or crucial....

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Here's the poop on the live.com thing. I've found that searching for different items will yield different %s off, but if you click the link with the highest percent to get to ebay, you retain that % off no matter the item you purchase. I got an appletv at the macbook discount of 30% cashback (for example, macbooks are listed at 6%, but macbook accessories say 25% today). They may at some point figure this out and close the loop, but whilst it's still open...

1.Visit Microsoft Live Search: www.live.com
    2.In the Live Search box, enter your search for a product.
    3.Click on any eligible eBay-sponsored ad. This brings you to the eBay site.

Important: Your cashback offer will be good for 60 minutes from the time you click the ad and arrive on eBay.com. You must complete a purchase on eBay of any eligible items within 60 minutes of clicking the ad. For definition of eligible items and conditions, see Terms of Use.
    4.Look for your cashback rebate percentage at the top of the eBay page.
    5.After you purchase an eligible item and pay for it with PayPal, go to My Messages in My eBay for an email with instructions on how to claim your cashback.

Important: You must click the Get cashback button in the email.
    6.You now need to use the link in your My Messages to link a PayPal Account with your Microsoft Rebate Center Account.
    Once you have linked these accounts, it may take a few days for the eBay purchase to be seen in your Microsoft Rebate Center account.
    7.Microsoft will deposit your cashback redemption into your PayPal account 60 days after the eBay transaction has successfully completed including payment. Once payment is requested, it may take up to 14 days to show up in your PayPal account.

4. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

PaulinMaryland

using live.com

Thanks! I tried Live.com for the first time a week ago and found it confusing. You'd clarified it.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Glad to help. It took me some digging to put those together - I think they were hoping that people would be drawn in to use the site by the idea of cashback, be horribly confused by the whole thing, and not redeem it. Ooops. Was that cynical of me?:eek::D:D:D

6. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

education discount is the best you can get. or, if you know someone or you work or get a job at apple.

7. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

ADC is better than education but you need to be a student to make it worthwhile just for the hardware discount and you can't get it as faculty....

8. budkid macrumors regular

find someone in your family who is a college student! HA!

9. PhilaScott macrumors regular

PhilaScott

Anyone think there will be a Black Friday sale at the Apple Stores? ...or if you can wait for the new release of OSX 10.6 they usually discount everything for that kick-off event. That's how I bought my last PB and I'm wanting to make the upgrade now that my trusty 12" PB turned 5 years old....I can hold for a sale or a refurb.

10. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I looked on Black Friday last year and there was nothing. The best I could find was like a $20 discount on iPods. Ohh! $20! Don't spend it all in one place! (actually, I did. on iTunes!) Anyway, in my experience and from what I hear from other people, don't bother waiting until Black Friday. You will be disappointed.

11. Miksaid macrumors newbie

hey there

Where do you live? They're selling white 2.4 Ghz macbooks with 2 GB RAM at my school for $899. If you're interested in shelling another $200 on top of that for my services, we can work something out! email me at miksaid@gmail.com.

12. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

The live.com rebate has a cap of $200 a pop. There is also a 10% coupon floating around that you can stack on top of the $200.

13. PhilaScott macrumors regular

PhilaScott

Thanks for the advice!

I'm still willing to wait (patience is a virtue, right?!) for either refurb or OSX 10.6 release day specials (in '09), which usually include the free copy of the new operating system with the computer purchase and percentage off (10% last I did it and it included everything).

14. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

or u can pull this jerk move. Save up enough to buy a refurb online. Get it and don't open it. Save more money...return and exchange...or u can jus save for one in the first place...

15. munckee macrumors 65816

Has anyone had luck applying one of the more substantial coupons (25% or so) to an actual computer rather than just accessories?

Also, where'd people find the extra 10% coupon?

16. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The extra 10% was sent to ebay members who weren't as active as ebay would have liked. For example, my spouse got one and I didn't.

17. chungky macrumors newbie

How are you able to get it for so cheap? The cheapest I can get is $1899. I'm thinking about the ebay route as well, but am weery of being scammed. Any thoughts on buying one of these new ones from a powerseller on ebay?

18. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Just bought a "refurb" BMB for $1049 2.4 GHz,250 Gb,FW 400, 2GB Ram, switched out myself for 2 / 2Gb sticks from OWC for $63.00. When I installed Coconut Battery it said my BMB was 2 weeks old,(just new stock repackaged)
    Totally "mint" in every way. It's my Wife's first Mac, after falling in love with my 2.2 BMB which was 3 weeks old, bought right after the 2.4's came out. I'd buy NOW, if I was you.;):apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

19. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Does each user get a unique code? Or could you give me a link to a post about it?

Thanks.

20. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Sort of. Here's the text from the pop-up window:

10% off*—save up to $100

Redemption Code: CFALLSAVINGS10P
    Please note:
    Make sure the email address on your eBay account is also on your PayPal account.
    Find out how.

Who's eligible?
    Only invited, registered eBay users who receive the coupon by email from us or see the coupon in My eBay are eligible. Sorry, no forwarding—the coupon is not transferable See terms and conditions below.

Here's how to redeem this offer:
    1. Start shopping on eBay. Be sure the seller accepts PayPal.
    2. Pay for your item with PayPal before the expiration date (October 30, 2008). Make sure the email address on your eBay account is also on your PayPal account. Find out how.)
    3. Enter the redemption code: CFALLSAVINGS10P
    *Terms and Conditions:
    The offer will expire at 11:59:59 PM PT on October 30, 2008. Receive 10% off (maximum discount of $100) the purchase price (excluding shipping, handling, and taxes) of a single item on eBay.com. Recipients of the coupon must be registered eBay members and pay for the item with PayPal.

The coupon is non-transferable, void where prohibited, not redeemable for cash, for one-time use only, and has no face value. The coupon is subject to U.S. laws and cannot be combined with any other coupon. eBay reserves the right to cancel, amend, or revoke the coupon at any time. Use of automated devices or programs to redeem the coupon is prohibited.

Purchases made through any customized checkout system and/or eBay Live Auctions are excluded.

21. PhilaScott macrumors regular

PhilaScott

Or I can just take money from one of my accounts and pay cash for it.. but I'm always looking for ways to save a buck or two! ;)

22. munckee macrumors 65816

Has anyone successfully used the live.com deal for multiple purchases? I read the terms and conditions, and my understanding is that it can be used multiple times by one user as long as the uses are in different "sessions" and only up to a total of $2500 or less in rebates.

Also, there's a lot of talk in the terms about "eligible" users and paypal accounts; is there any way to confirm eligibility?

23. field pi macrumors newbie

field pi

Hi Techound1, we spoke once before in my uber-newbie thread a few days ago (no wedgies please:eek:).

Turns out I have one of these coupons! I'd kind of forgotten it but I just got the reminder. So let me cut to the chase: would you (or anyone else) name trustworthy sellers? I'll understand if that's not cool etiquette-wise, just thought I'd ask. Secondly, can this be used in addition to, or does it obviate, the "live.com thing" described by you in your earliest post this thread?

Thanks again oh Demi-God.

24. tivoboy macrumors 68030

amazon

Amazon is NOW offering their 100$ rebate on the new macbook pros, and they are in stock. No tax, 100$ rebate (these rebates are from amazon and are paid usually within 30 days - no cutting, mailing or clipping)

Makes it cheaper than one could do with an education discount from apple.

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You were not looking hard enough then. iMacs and iBooks were $100 off. I know because I bought an iMac.