Cheapest way to get a mac

shadowgalun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Boston, MA
Hey!
I have an iPod Touch and love it.
I want to get a Mac, but I'm a poor high school student.
So, whats the cheapest way to get one?
I would prefer a laptop.

Thanks.

RudyGrow

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2009
eBay for sure. I'm a High School student and got my Macbook Pro for $999.99 flat.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
When I'm looking for a good price to come up on something, I watch dealnews.com or dealmac.com . They have RSS feeds for each category so you can subscribe and it'll let you know when and where the sales are. I watched monitors for about a month before I bought this Samsung 24" and I'll do the same thing when I'm looking for a hard drive or the like.

At dealmac, you would want to watch here. Also Appleinsider has a pricing guide that I like a lot, but may not be of much help to you if you're looking for a refurb.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Ditto on the refub or bank robbery. :p

Do either of your parents work someplace with an employee purchase program with apple?

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
I was a poor high school student once. I am a poor college student now. But I own an Aluminum Macbook :D

To tell you the truth, I saved up like 2 years during high school. I know some students are loaded by their parents but that wasn't the case for me.

My advice is to save up :D If you can get scholarships from the school that is great other wise do some odd jobs if you don't have a designated job. Every dollar counts!!!

Good luck!

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I worked my butt off for a year before I had the funds to pay for my first MBP. I was about 500 dollars short and then some chick at work hit my car from behind :D and she was like "go get an estimate and i'll pay you cash since it's probably a little more than my deductable anyway". The repair was $650 but I said "look lets just do 500 today and call it even and i'm sure I can work a discount."

Three months after that I was rear ended and had the whole bumper replaced :eek: :D And no I feel no negative karma for the girl who hit my car. About a week earlier I found her brothers brand new cell phone left out in the open so I scooped it up and returned it.

People need to take better care of their phones. If I were unscrupulous i'd have quite a selection.

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Hey!
I have an iPod Touch and love it.
I want to get a Mac, but I'm a poor high school student.
So, whats the cheapest way to get one?
I would prefer a laptop.

Thanks.

Call up Apple and tell them to make a commercial out of your story, I'm sure they'll pay you with a MBP. ;)

frozenflourish

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2008
if you are able to wait, wait until you are enrolled for college - i was able to get my white macbook for 750 bucks!!!!!! and it was new, and it was the current model. i was so happy! there was a refresh shortly after, but i can't even tell - husband has MBP and got a cheaper price for that too but it wasn't as cheap as my macbook!

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Why not sell some stuff you no longer need on eBay? That's how I got the majority of my money for my MacBook when I was 13, since I couldn't really get a job at that age. :eek: Combined with birthday money and a bit of help from my parents, I had the $1599 to buy a brand new MacBook in about 8 months :)

Suspended
Jan 9, 2010
Pcconnection.com

Hi there. I just recently bought a MacBook Pro from www.pcconnection.com, they are having a VERY GOOD SALE RIGHT NOW, or were, they might have fun our of stock, I haven't looked in a week, but look into they're site.

CLICK THE STINKIN LINK BELOW

www.pcconnection.com

Good Luck,
Caleb. :D