cheapest way to get ilife 05

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Hi,

The cheapest deal for ilife 05 i know of is $59 through apple education....

can anyone tell me how to beat that?

do you think apple will give educators a steeper discount later on like they did with keynote 1 and ilife before (i think they had some combo deal where you got it really cheap)......

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
if you don't qualify for an educational discount you shouldn't use it at all. They do randomly check for those types of things, Last year I purchased an iPod and ilife at seperate times and got two phone calls. They did keynote + ilife two years ago, but back then all the ilife except idvd were free upgrades. I rememeber it exactly, apple was going to charge for it but there was a huge lash back when the rumors of $50 hit the streets and he dropped the plan until a year later.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Check through your university, often they have deals beyond the educational discount. Mine has iLife 05 and iWork for $39 each.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
There is no cheaper way...Unless you hide one under your jacket and make a run for it.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
jet3004 said:
There is no cheaper way...Unless you hide one under your jacket and make a run for it.
While you're at it, might as well nab a Mac Mini, too... :rolleyes:

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
the_mole1314 said:
Get iLife '04 for education discount, then upgrade.
There isn't an '04 -> '05 upgrade edition, so that will end up costing you more money.

Which reminds me, since iLife '05 is a "full" product (not an upgrade edition), You could legally give someone with an older Mac that doesn't have iLife your '04 copy, no?

Rob

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
mrgreen4242 said:
There isn't an '04 -> '05 upgrade edition, so that will end up costing you more money.

Which reminds me, since iLife '05 is a "full" product (not an upgrade edition), You could legally give someone with an older Mac that doesn't have iLife your '04 copy, no?

Rob
You're right, I looked it up, but the program wasn't an upgrade, just something for those who recently bought a Mac, much like what they did with Panther last year.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
mrgreen4242 said:

Rob
There is an upgrade edition and it will cost you 19.95 to get the new '05 if you purchased '04 on or after January 11th.

jon

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
I'm getting it half price (£25) from the UK Higher Education store. This is entirely legit as I'm a university student. The standard Education store price was more like £40. Is there such a thing as the online HE store in the US? If so, and you are/know a university student, that's your answer.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
iJon said:
There is an upgrade edition and it will cost you 19.95 to get the new '05 if you purchased '04 on or after January 11th.

jon
First off, you can't buy iLife '04 from Apple after Jan 11th (go look at store.apple.com). I am sure a third party retailer will sell you a copy of '04, probably really cheap too, but Apple won't be giving you any update discount. There will likely be a free voucher for iLife '05 if you buy a computer after the 11th that has '04 on (it will take a little time to get the retail chain fully updated). They will probably offer people who bought a new Mac and MAYBE iLife '04 after December 11th and before January 11th an upgrade off for $19.95, so far I haven't seen anything official.

In other words, if you didn't either buy a new computer or a stand alone copy of iLife '04 within a month before Jan 11th, or you aren't buying a new machine after Jan 11th, you will have to pay either $80 or $60 for iLife '05 depending on wether you are a student or not.

Rob

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
thequicksilver said:
I'm getting it half price (£25) from the UK Higher Education store. This is entirely legit as I'm a university student. The standard Education store price was more like £40. Is there such a thing as the online HE store in the US? If so, and you are/know a university student, that's your answer.
is that the store that you have to ring up to use?

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hate to be a bugger, (but while we're on the subject), I couldn't actually find the "qualifications" concerning this on Apple's website... Do you have to be an educator to qualify for the educational discount, or can you be a student? (A high school student, more specifically.) Thanks! :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
swingerofbirch said:
Hi,

The cheapest deal for ilife 05 i know of is $59 through apple education....

can anyone tell me how to beat that?
Your local DVD pirate at school...

Of course you can always tell us where you'll be, and we'll be glad to send somebody over and beat you up.

Edit: er, i hope I didn't get those questions mixed up. :eek:

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
it should ship with ilife o4 andthen the ilife 05 update is 19.95 via the up-to-date program

Jsmit

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2004
Boston
Littleodie914 said:
Hate to be a bugger, (but while we're on the subject), I couldn't actually find the "qualifications" concerning this on Apple's website... Do you have to be an educator to qualify for the educational discount, or can you be a student? (A high school student, more specifically.) Thanks! :)
Sorry, but high-school students are not eligible for the educational discount. For more complete info check out the Sales and Refund Policy of the store of education.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Sun Baked said:
Your local DVD pirate at school...

Of course you can always tell us where you'll be, and we'll be glad to send somebody over and beat you up.

Edit: er, i hope I didn't get those questions mixed up. :eek:
Hang outside an Apple Retail Store and follow someone who purchases iLife '05 and tell them sharing is good. ;) :)

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Jsmit said:
Sorry, but high-school students are not eligible for the educational discount. For more complete info check out the Sales and Refund Policy of the store of education.
Since when? I'm pretty sure as a High school student, (and Home schooled at that!), That I got and educational discount of $300 last year when I bought my Powerbook...
Is it different in places outside the US?

~Tyler

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Earendil said:
Since when? I'm pretty sure as a High school student, (and Home schooled at that!), That I got and educational discount of $300 last year when I bought my Powerbook...
Is it different in places outside the US?

~Tyler
Some companies do offer discounts to home schooled students/parents.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
High school students do NOT get an EDU discount. College students and any teacher get the EDU price. Home schooled students get a discount as well, but it is actually a seperate program.

Rob