Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
I'll give it to Federighi, he really did try to convince the audience like a used car salesman how dark iOS 13 is astonishingly beautiful regardless if it's EXACTLY the same bland screen-estate-abusing old UI and native apps, just in black.

Also, no photography wallpapers? Zero?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
“Maps already had a nighttime Dark Mode, but now it's activated all the time when Dark Mode is turned on.”

Good luck with it driving in a bright sunlight with your shades on! Makes perfect sense in the dark, but is absolutely useless in the daylight.

The “Automatic” mode for it is neat, though!

Last edited:
Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

jkruehne

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2014
dark mode - and the notch is gone :D
– I don't like white/bright fonts on dark BG, hope it can be adjusted (e.g. middle grey on dark…)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Looks great, just wait for developers to add it to apps too. I know a few already had it.

BillabongJoe

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
UK
Two questions for people who have installed the beta.
1. Can you choose alternate backgrounds or is it ust apple built in ones which switch.
2. Do apps that were dark before (eg. clock, stocks, watch etc.) now have a light mode?

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I hate white text on black. It makes me dizzy and it's all I see for a few minutes when I look away.

Reactions: Porco

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I hate white text on black. It makes me dizzy and it's all I see for a few minutes when I look away.

I don’t get dizzy from it, but I get a similar effect, especially where if I read block white text on (actual) black then look away I see the image (usually just feels like lines) across my vision. Black text on white is fine.

It doesn’t seem to happen to me on darkish, grey UIs, so Logic Pro X is ok for example (luckily for me because I use it all the time and I was worried when I saw the change from the light-themed Logic Pro 9!). I’d still like a lighter theme for Logic though. I appreciate the apps that think about having both.

If iOS or MacOS ever went fully dark-only it would potentially limit my use of them hugely. But so long as it’s a ‘mode’ and a choice it’s ok.

Reactions: Royksöpp

toptekjon

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
I can't be the only person who finds dark mode more intensive on my eyes, particularly in comparison to when true tone is enabled and blue light is minimised.

That is why it’s totally optional. Nothing will change for you, unless you want it to. I personally love dark mode, and it’s the first setting I look for in any OS or App that I use. My eyes are very sensitive to light, so this has been by far my biggest wish list item for iOS for many years now.

Also, very happy to see Macrumors getting on board! Dark mode here will be great!
[doublepost=1559652379][/doublepost]
“Maps already had a nighttime Dark Mode, but now it's activated all the time when Dark Mode is turned on.”

Good luck with it driving in a bright sunlight with your shades on! Makes perfect sense in the dark, but is absolutely useless in the daylight.

The “Automatic” mode for it is neat, though!
I use dark mode for Maps in CarPlay at all times and it works perfectly. Extremely easy to see, and not at all distracting. One thing I think some people may not be remembering though, is that dark mode is an OPTION. If you don’t like it, don’t turn it on. It’s essentially “opt in”, so you’ll never even see it unless you choose to. How is having options for people a bad thing?

Reactions: jmpstar

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA

Turning on Dark Mode changes the look of the entire operating system, darkening everything from the wallpaper and the Home screen to individual apps.

darkmodehomescreenlockscreen.jpg

Speaking of wallpaper, iOS 13 has several new wallpapers available, which turn colors from light to dark based on which mode you have activated.

darkmodewallpapers.jpg

Article Link: Check Out Dark Mode in iOS 13

So I have questions.

Based on the first quote here, it sounds as if Apple is even darkening your wallpaper, regardless of whether it's Apple-supplied or your own.

From the second quote, and in particular the first screen shot, it looks as if Apple has an icon indicating there are "dual mode" wallpapers? Does this mean that if you don't use one like this, Apple won't ruin your wallpaper of choice?

toptekjon

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Look I’m just happy the damn Music player isn’t a blinding WHITE. Now it’s black and red. Good lord it took them ages to do this.
Huge part of why I switched to Spotify. Apple Music was killing my eyes when listening to music at night. Now that I’ve switched, I’ve also realized Spotify is just better all around. Better apps on all platforms, far better device support, and much easier to share with family without giving the kids my damn credit card like in apple family sharing!
[doublepost=1559653013][/doublepost]
Just ignore it. Most of the time you won’t even notice.
I have to disagree. I can read books in black/dark mode on an OLED screen iPhone for hours and the batter doesn’t budge. Doing the same with sepia or white and the battery goes down like it would normally.

Black anything on OLED is a massive battery saver, and that has definitely been proven repeatedly. Just google it for some proof.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I find the opposite, and readability may suffer dearly. Maybe your experience is better, but the better way to protect your eyes is still not looking at your phone at all before sleeping.

What you say is true. It is an acknowledged fact by the optometry world that light text on dark backgrounds are more strain on the eyes. This has been known for decades.

Dark mode looks really cool, and that’s what drives the whole thing, the cool factor.
That said, I’m looking forward to at least trying it out. It’s somewhat of an interface refresh which will be nice for a change.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Huge part of why I switched to Spotify. Apple Music was killing my eyes when listening to music at night. Now that I’ve switched, I’ve also realized Spotify is just better all around. Better apps on all platforms, far better device support, and much easier to share with family without giving the kids my damn credit card like in apple family sharing!

I prefer artists get paid for their work so... #applemusic

toptekjon

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
So does Dark Mode integrate with 3rd party apps at all? For example, if I enable dark mode on iOS 13, will it trigger supported apps that also have a dark mode? Or will all 3rd party apps have separate settings that need to be enabled?
Yes. They announced that there is an API for darkmode. If it’s like MacOS, apps “just work” once they’re updated to support system wide darkmode.

Reactions: JohnApples

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I always thought 13 was an unlucky number,........ We'll see if this sticks .

Every thing Apple implements i never expect to work right first time. But visuals seem to be an basic exception.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have to disagree. I can read books in black/dark mode on an OLED screen iPhone for hours and the batter doesn’t budge. Doing the same with sepia or white and the battery goes down like it would normally.

Black anything on OLED is a massive battery saver, and that has definitely been proven repeatedly. Just google it for some proof.
I have found a few, and they claim huge battery savings like you said. The catch is, the largest amount of battery saving happens in max brightness, which makes dark mode look like a huge battery saver. For my use case though, the battery saving is more or less negligible, and I often find it tough to read texts with dark background when the text color is not white. Here are two examples:
F448DEE8-A5B3-4969-AF79-082E01C201AE.jpeg
5BD29416-3604-4F93-98A9-3582EFF6C6F7.jpeg

Granted iOS 13 won’t use those font colours systemwide, but this highlights the issue of readability when using dark mode. For me, readability worth more than just some battery savings. Battery can be replaced while my eyes can’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.