Check Out iOS 10's Revamped Apple News App

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 1, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

One of the apps that's getting a redesign in iOS 10 is Apple News, Apple's dedicated news reading app that first came out in 2015 as part of iOS 9. Apple News aggregates stories from several sources into one mobile-friendly format for reading on iOS devices, allowing users to find content based around their interests.

In iOS 10, Apple News features a bolder, simpler interface that puts content front and center. The "For You" section filled with customized picks has been broken up into smaller topic-based sections with improved organization to make it easier to keep up with incoming stories.

"For You" features all of the topics a user follows along with "Trending News," featuring current popular stories, and "Featured News," a section with news suggestions hand-picked by Apple's editors. There are easier tools for sharing, liking, and disliking news stories, accessible by swiping to the left or the right on the screen.

In addition to these design changes, Apple News will now send notifications to users whenever there's a must-read breaking news story, and Apple has added support for subscription-based publications so you can read content from paid subscription-based sites like The Wall Street Journal right alongside free content. The revamped Apple News app will be available in the fall when iOS 10 launches.

For details on other new features coming in iOS 10, make sure to check out our iOS 10 roundup. Don't miss out on our previous videos, which have covered iOS 10, watchOS 3, tvOS 10, and macOS Sierra:

- WWDC 2016 Overview in Seven Minutes
    - iOS 10's Overhauled Lockscreen
    - The New iOS 10 Photos App
    - The New iOS 10 Messages App
    - macOS Sierra - Siri
    - iOS 10 Hidden Features
    - watchOS 3 Overview
    - iOS 10's Redesigned Apple Music Experience
    - 3D Touch in iOS 10
    - The New Home App for Controlling HomeKit Devices
    - iOS 10's Face Gallery App for Apple Watch
    - Everything New in tvOS 10
    - Apple's Upcoming Apple TV Remote App

We've also got roundups for all of the upcoming operating systems, including watchOS 3, macOS Sierra, and tvOS 10.

Article Link: Check Out iOS 10's Revamped Apple News App

2. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Great. Now, why is it only available in the US?

3. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

4. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

5. RedOrchestra Suspended

Even if Apple had a 1,000% increase in people using the News App; it still would only amount to 33 people.

6. DrumApple macrumors 6502a

Cool. I still won't use it though. I get most of my news via Twitter these days.

Oh, and I love how the main story in the Technology section in the video is BlackBerry :D

7. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

I love it. Great app already, and getting better.

9. kkamann macrumors regular

kkamann

10. FaasNat macrumors regular

FaasNat

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the release, but will the new News app allow you to configure your own channels?

11. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Me says, Math isn't your thing.:p

I get the joke though.:cool:

12. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

Still surprised that Apple didn't include a News app for macOS Sierra. Would've made that update a bit more interesting

13. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

More access to the lame steam news. The news app is the first thing I'm deleting when I finally update

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

My initial experience with Apple News was along the lines of "it's worse than Apple Music" I promptly stuffed it into Apple folder of rejects. I suspect i'll give this a try ..it'll piss me off and get banished to the rejects folder again.

15. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Nice, but according to Apple the only countries that can be informed about the News are US, UK and Australia.

16. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I'm one, are the other two people here?

17. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Makes me think of Samwise Gamgee in The Lord of the Rings. What does Apple have for us in iOS 10 Sam?

"Well, let me see. Oh yes, lovely. Lembas bread For You. And look! More lembas bread For You."

18. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

May want to recheck your math. 33 from a 1000% increase would mean 3 users today.

19. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

because USA is best

20. citysnaps, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016

citysnaps macrumors 68040

Excellent! Being a news junkie I use the News app many times a day. Glad that it's getting an update.

I use to use Flipboard but like Apple's News app much better.

21. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I stopped using Flipboard when Apple released News App. Flipboard was great before they started tracking your every move and wanting more and more info from you like emails and your Facebook accounts they turned out to be another Google. Apple News gives me the same content and works the same without selling my personal info.

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

LOL... I use it, actually quite a lot. Since my favorite news/web aggrigate app closed down and moved over to Flipboard, this one has been pretty good.

But, I do get it.

23. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

This is never taking off unless 100% of the articles are embedded into the app and don't open up another webpage which most links do

Sorry apple, this is another dud

24. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

I couldn't stand the first version of the News app from Apple. I hated the truncated versions of news stories, the inconsistency of its updating, and the way it seemed to completely ignore my attempts at tailoring the news for me.

This may or may not be a better version, but I have no intention of giving Apple the benefit of the doubt. They have been consistent in their annoying software of late, whether it is the music app that won't download my playlists or the Calendar that takes two minutes to update every time I open it on my iPhone or iPad, and is still full of bugs that have existed for years.

I wish Scott Forstall was still in charge of iOS, as it was so much more reliable and user-friendly when he was. Tim Cook made a big mistake in sacking him.