Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the 10th anniversary of the Apple Watch approaching, we thought it would be fun to take a look back at an interesting bit of Apple Watch history.

apple-watch-ipad-demo-1.jpg

After the Apple Watch was announced in 2014, and before it became available in 2015, Apple sent out custom Apple Watch iPad demo kiosks to retail stores. The Apple Watch and iPad units used for these devices were specially designed, had custom software, and represent the first and only time that an Apple Watch was able to pair with an iPad.

AppleDemoYT, known for sourcing rare prototypes, shared images and detailed information about the demo units with MacRumors, offering up detailed insight on the lengths Apple went to for this custom experience. AppleDemoYT was able to acquire one of these now-rare demo units.

apple-watch-ipad-demo-2.jpg

Jony Ive and his design team came up with the Apple Watch iPad Kiosks as a way for customers to try out an Apple Watch without needing help from an employee. Apple used a modified iPad mini 2 running iOS 8.2 paired with an original Apple Watch running watchOS 1.0, with the two devices fused in a custom housing.

The iPad Apple used had multiple components removed, including the camera, microphone, and speakers, and the housing of the setup served as the body of the iPad. The Apple Watch was heavily modified as well, featuring a groove along the diagnostic port for cable routing, holes to affix it to the demo unit, and a special Sport Band that was shorter than normal.

apple-watch-ipad-demo-3.jpg

The Apple Watch was paired to the iPad using a wired connection. A lightning cable attached to the Apple Watch diagnostic port connected to a converter board inside the iPad, allowing the iPad to communicate with and charge the Apple Watch. A special app called Apple Watch Demo was used to allow the Apple Watch to interface with the iPad, and a connection to Apple's server was required.

apple-watch-ipad-demo-4.jpg

The server that Apple used for the Apple Watch Demo app has long since gone offline, so the only way to see how the setup worked is through a demo unit that was paired in 2014 and not reset since then. With a functional unit, the iPad is able to mirror the Apple Watch, offering up transition animations and providing tips on the actions that can be performed on the Apple Watch. This functionality is demoed in AppleDemoYT's video:

The custom iPad mini was not only the sole model able to connect with an Apple Watch, it was also the only iPad that could be charged using MagSafe 2, originally designed for the Mac. A MagSafe connector charged the iPad, Apple Watch, and extra batteries inside the iPad. A Lightning port is available as well, but Apple's documentation suggests that it is only meant to be used for data transfer.

Apple discontinued the demo unit in 2016 because it was riddled with issues. Updates to the iPad or Apple Watch would erase demo content, and the front glass was prone to cracking because of the design of the housing. Batteries degraded quickly due to the always-on charging, and overheating and failure were continual problems. Apple also had to deal with pairing and syncing issues, and that caused Apple to tweak the interactive part of the demo functionality in 2015. After that change, the iPad provided Apple Watch info, but no longer mirrored the content on the Apple Watch.

apple-watch-ipad-demo-5.jpg

Demo units that were decommissioned were supposed to be destroyed, and so finding one that is still available, functional, and in good working condition is unusual. The Apple Watch iPad kiosk represents one of the most advanced custom devices that Apple had designed at the time, and it offers a neat look back at the Apple Watch's debut.

Rumors suggest that Apple has plans for the 10th anniversary of the Apple Watch, and as soon as this year, we may see a redesigned "Apple Watch X" with an updated magnetic band attachment system, new health features, and more.

Article Link: Check Out This Apple Watch iPad Demo Unit From 2014

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Alright Apple- we know you don't want the iPad to pair with the watch. You have made that clear. But can I at least get my activity data on the iPad so I can see it all on a larger display? So much data you could see in one shot from workouts, heart rates, ETC. Especially with Apple Fitness; you would think you could put a fitness workout on the iPad, then take a look at your activity on the iPad.. Sometimes your stubbornness is a real turn off, apple.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
And why can't you pair an Apple Watch to an iPad? Because that'd be one less thing keeping you stuck to having an iPhone! You can't get rid of an iPhone without also losing your Watch. These things are always for lock-in reasons.
Don't worry, the DoJ is on the case and trying to fix that. 🤣

- Diminishing the Functionality of Non-Apple Smartwatches. Apple has limited the functionality of third-party smartwatches so that users who purchase the Apple Watch face substantial out-of-pocket costs if they do not keep buying iPhones.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
And why can't you pair an Apple Watch to an iPad? Because that'd be one less thing keeping you stuck to having an iPhone! You can't get rid of an iPhone without also losing your Watch. These things are always for lock-in reasons.
It's completely fine for not be able to pair with an iPad. How about go even further and make it a standalone Apple Watch?

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Amazing that Apple watch is coming up to 10th birthday!

Ive only had two of them… a first gen, and a series 4 (still going strong considering)

They have been amongst the best watches, and the best smart watches I've owned. And not bad price at all considering the run I've had with only two models.

I think the only thing id ask for at this point is an ultra low energy mode that can be switched into if you're going to be away from power, or for an emergency. That lasts a week at least

😀

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Amazing that Apple watch is coming up to 10th birthday!

Ive only had two of them… a first gen, and a series 4 (still going strong considering)

They have been amongst the best watches, and the best smart watches I've owned. And not bad price at all considering the run I've had with only two models.

I think the only thing id ask for at this point is an ultra low energy mode that can be switched into if you're going to be away from power, or for an emergency. That lasts a week at least

😀
If you want to feel really old, AirPods are coming up on 8 years. It doesn't feel like it at all.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Really interesting look and history of that demo unit. Kind of funny how the inside of the unit and the work arounds and connections are not too dissimilar to what many electronics tinkerers get up to in garages and and man caves 😂

I wonder how many people were involved working on this.

Reactions: xpxp2002

SanderEvers

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Netherlands

An Apple watch is meant to be used all the time, and except if you have a cellular model you won't be able to use it if not paired to an iPhone or Wifi. So connecting it to an iPad would be quite useless. Honestly they'd just as easy make it a standalone product then.

bg1419

macrumors member
May 7, 2019
I worked in an Apple Store when the watch launched. These were charged solely through the lightning port.

InsideApple

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2020
I used to take care of these things working at the Apple Store….they were a nightmare to update or taking care of in general…so annying

techcboy

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2023
They tried to bring it to Android but couldn’t get it to work efficiently. Connecting it to an iPad would make it mostly useless as anything other than a fitness tracker, it’d either need to always be on LTE or do naff all until reconnected to WiFi. That sounds like a terrible experience to me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.