Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Just got my 6+ and realized that there is about 1/2 of gap between the screen and the silver housing. The gap looks like the screen is not sealed properly, it's located right above your earphone insert. Take a look...

I might go exchange it because looks like water may get inside. Let me know if any of you also have the gap.

Update:
Returned it and got a new one. They saw the phone and agreed that there's a defect. Looks like I am not the only one: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1784043/

Attachments

• DSC01485.JPG
    DSC01485.JPG
    552.7 KB · Views: 1,426
Last edited:

anthonybkny

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2011
NYC
Just got my 6+ and realized that there is about 1/2 of gap between the screen and the silver housing. The gap looks like the screen is not sealed properly, it's located right above your earphone insert. Take a look...

I might go exchange it because looks like water may get inside. Let me know if any of you also have the gap.
did you sit with it in your pant pocket? Maybe you bent it.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

Post pics.

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
did you sit with it in your pant pocket? Maybe you bent it.

No I haven't. Looks like I am the only one lol.

Does anyone know if I can go to any Apple store for an exchange? Or does it have to be the one I bought it from? Thanks.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
No I haven't. Looks like I am the only one lol.

Does anyone know if I can go to any Apple store for an exchange? Or does it have to be the one I bought it from? Thanks.

You might be better off returning it where you bought it from so you can exchange it for a new one in box.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

Can you post a picture of it?

Nerdface Killah

macrumors member
May 30, 2013
I tried returning my 5S for a recessed lock button but they turned me away saying it's just cosmetic, as long as the phone works we aren't going to give you another one. I have the 6 Plus and I do not have that gap.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
You might be better off returning it where you bought it from so you can exchange it for a new one in box.

At this point I don't think it makes a difference as all warranty replacements will be new phones since there hasn't been time for any to be refurbished yet.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
At this point I don't think it makes a difference as all warranty replacements will be new phones since there hasn't been time for any to be refurbished yet.

Not saying he'll get a refurb but he's still within the return period so why not get an entirely new package and start over instead of swapping phones and mismatching serial numbers.

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I tried returning my 5S for a recessed lock button but they turned me away saying it's just cosmetic, as long as the phone works we aren't going to give you another one. I have the 6 Plus and I do not have that gap.

Were you trying to return it within 14 days or after?

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
I'm not seeing what youre describing.

zoom in above the earphone input, you can see a hairline alike gap there. It's a little more noticeable in person.

I see what he's describing but I don't think that's enough to warrant an exchange.

It's his phone though so he can do whatever makes him feel comfortable with his purchase.

Not sure if it's worth to go back and wait online for an exchange... Only concern is the water getting inside.

Nerdface Killah

macrumors member
May 30, 2013
Were you trying to return it within 14 days or after?

Shucks I can't recall I swear it was within the 14 days well yes it was because I was able to take it back to Verizon and they gave me another phone. So yes it was, it was on the 2nd or 3rd day and Apple still said too bad.

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Looks like the plastic is still on it to me. Whats that by the home button?

those are bubbles, because I had to remove part of the screen protector that came with the phone in order to set up the fingerprints; and to use the speaker/microphone.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
It's extremely minimal if anything. I think if you have to go through a lot of work and stand on your head with one leg bent to see a problem, it's not really a problem. Maybe it's worse in person like you say, but I'm having a hard time seeing it. I do see the edge of the glass but isn't it kind of 'bull nosed' all the way around like that?

As far as water.. uh.. you should fill that giant hole on the bottom as well as the others across the bottom with some silicone so water doesn't get in there. :p

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
That's really nothing but as ocd as I am, that would annoy the living crap outa me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.