Check your Iphone4S White, mine had dents!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pashtun, Oct 14, 2011.

1. pashtun macrumors newbie

Hi

just picked up my phone from the courier depot as i missed the delivery. Opened the packaging to find that there are dents on the white part of the phone, its almost like they are hairline cracks and it looks a little grey in comparison to the white! they are on opposite corners of the phone top right and bottom left.

mine is a 64gb white bought from vodafone in the UK, just check as they are not immediately visible due to the white colour, anyone else got this problem?:mad::mad:

Attached Files:

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

It's hard to see what you are referring to on the photos. Is the plastic off the phone though?

3. pashtun thread starter macrumors newbie

thats the problem its hard to see but can be felt. if you look at the images the area in question is slightly grey. on the top right just in the region of the power button, and bottom left

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

5. bluer101 macrumors regular

I can see it in the first picture, it looks flat, dented.

6. chrismac2 macrumors regular

chrismac2

It's hard to see in the second pic, but in the first pic with your hand, I can see the dent in the white part.

My black iPhone 4 has some dents due to me dropping it......that sucks that it came that way....

It sucks to have to do it, but I'd definitely take it back.....and you need to do it right away, the longer you have it, the more they'll think that you just dropped it yourself.....

7. pashtun thread starter macrumors newbie

phoned vodafone they are arranging to send me a new one on wednesday. What i want to know is this a common problem, do others have it but have not realised. and a couple of months down the line they will notice and think they did it!!

8. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

White 64 here...

Looked mine over, the only problem I sort of see is it looks like there's cracks in my flash. It may just be etched for flash purposes though

9. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I had that problem on my white iPhone 4. The white plastic on the screen side had 1-2 minor dents or dings (pick your word for the defect). Pretty annoying, but I guess that happens when you mass produce phones.

10. Bear807 macrumors member

Mine white has some qc problem too... Is the same plastic that you have your dent on, mine was not aligning straight with the screen glass,hence create two bumps, not sure is this common or am I expecting too much, I shall post a photo to explain later

11. DSchwartz88, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011

DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

More on topic though: I have a 32GB Black 4S and mine seems to a chip of metal missing off the band, on the side facing the back of the phone. It's so small, you can only see it in the right line if you title the phone tons. I'm debating whether I want to go through the trouble of switching over this. Just so people know though, this doesn't seem to be an isolated issue. However, with all the other issues apple has had (home buttons, yellow screens), honestly, ill take a tiny dent I can't ever see over a yellow screen any day (plus if it ends up annoying me enough I can always switch it).

12. bradl, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Back on topic, If there is a Vodafone store nearby, you may want to take it up there, as well as the pictures of you opening it, so the manager there can also verify it. the more you have them on your side with this, the less they can refute your claim.

Also (and this would suck), I wouldn't activate the phone yet. Let them see how it looked before anything was done. That way they can send it back to Apple as is, pristine, and let them deal with it. when you get the new on in, then return the first one. But definitely not before then.

BL.

13. pashtun thread starter macrumors newbie

phoned vodafone, they said they are going to pick it up on tuesday and have a brand new one for me then. they appologised and said that they did not manafacture it but they gentleman also said he was apologising on apples behalf.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's terrible and pretty obvious but it is nice you got it sorted.

15. SusieQute, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

SusieQute macrumors newbie

Volume Control Button is reversed

My iphone 4S dedicated volume control on the side is made wrong. (+) button is at the bottom and (-)button is on top. So when I adjust the ringer, the volume is reversed....what is the best thing to do? I used my last screen protector too!

16. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Ummmm is it really an issue? You know which one is volume up and which one is volume down correct? Do you really need to look at the button to remember which is which? Wow.... some people's children.

OP.... hard to see in the pics but I think I see what you're talking about. I would return asap.... looks like you're being taken care of so that's good.

17. gotsomepinna macrumors newbie

I guess im not the only one...

I also had a nick/chip about two millimeters big. Not a huge issue, so I'm weighing in the time to be spent calling or showing up at an Apple store. On the other hand, I don't want to wait too long and have Apple blame the nick on me.

18. pashtun thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

They should replace it no problems. I am very happy with the way Vodafone in the UK has handled the issue I asked them whether they wanted me to let them know the locations on the dents and they didn't want me to they said no need to tell us we believe you, I think it may be affecting a number of phones and they are aware of it must be a glitch in the way a certain batch was manufactured

19. dillonm macrumors regular

I have a slight rattle on the volume button. Is this normal?

20. shaunh macrumors newbie

Yeah, mine has too. I picked mine up from the Apple store in Exeter, UK. The only issue is I live about 1.5 hours from the nearest store! I might ring Applecare and see what they have to say.

21. dillonm macrumors regular

Yours has loose volume ?

22. SusieQute macrumors newbie

Volume Control is reversed

It matter when you pay 299.00$ for your phone...but if you're happy to get a defective product for the price you pay, good for you!

23. shaunh macrumors newbie

No sorry, I mean't a nick in the top right corner of the plastic when looking at the phone from the back.

24. congew macrumors newbie

My white iphone4s 16GB has a similar but smaller dent on the top side. It looks like a dust on the white panel that never goes away... :mad:

25. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

hmm looks like a serious QC issue, Perhaps this will be the crack books all over again.... of powermac g4 cube all over again...