checking for a Unlocked Iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cuteoz, Apr 30, 2011.

1. cuteoz macrumors newbie

Hey All,

I am a newbie and I had read these forums for sometime now and Really didnt want to input my ideas since there was so much of resourceful people in this forum. anyhow I would really like to ask someone maybe someone a expert at it. I have a Apple Iphone 4 which my friend bought from italy since I didnt want to be tied to a contract or pay At&t for a locked phone anyway since I do travel overseas a lot. The model number it shows on the about page states is as MC605IP, I just want to know wether is this a factory unlocked phone or not.. Cuz Im kind of scared of updating it and loosing the unlock. it anyhow has Cydia installed.

2. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

3. Bobbytoad macrumors member

Bobbytoad

I thought all phones sold in Italy had to be network free (unlocked) by law - a quick google may help, otherwise no better way to answer your question that to drop in another operators sim.

4. TerreCollins macrumors newbie

i have the same model number and I'm using it in Saudi Arabia.
    its officially unlocked.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Open cydia and go to manage, packages and see if ultrasnow is listed there.
    If it has ultrasnow installed it's not factory unlocked and you gotta be carefull not to lose the unlockable baseband.

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i don't think baseband matters

7. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

It doesn't... I just wanted to rule out a software unlock.

8. RICARDOVASCO macrumors regular

Hi guys. I got an Iphone 4 locked, baseband 03.10.01. Is there any way to unlock it or only using turbo SIM?

Thanks
    Ricardo

9. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

There's no software unlock for the 03.10.01 yet. Depending on what carrier it's locked to, you can either get it remotely unlocked (won't work for AT&T locked phones) or use a turbo sim.

10. RICARDOVASCO macrumors regular

Yep, Its from US ( AT&T) and I'd like to use in Brazil. Brazilian mobile companies said they had the license to unlock them but then Apple has canceled that because there were tooo many people doing that.

What's the best turbo sim? Do I need to jailbreak it or only using the turbo SIM everything will work fine?

11. RICARDOVASCO macrumors regular

Another question guys. People said once I use the turbo SIM I can not turn the cell phone off anymore. Why that?

12. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

My understanding is you can turn it off. But when you turn it back on you'll need to make another fraudulent and illegal call to 911. Perhaps that's not the case.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I believe that unlocked iPhones do not have carrier information on the back of the box. If the serial number matches the box, and there's no carrier information on the back of the box, I would assume its unlocked. Also, check what AppleJuiced said.

14. cuteoz thread starter macrumors newbie

hello

hello all,

Thanks a lot for your valuable information. There was redsnow installed on this phone before, So I uninstalled it. and still the att signal appears. it is running

with 01.59.00 baseband reflecting MC605IP model number.

are you sure All italy Iphones are unlocked? it was supposed to be on vodaphone.

Thanks a lot.

PS: for the person with 03. firmware, I wouldnt really recommend you getting a gevey or turbo sim, My friend has one and its a real pain in the butt. It wouldnt work 100% accurately. just wait for the unlock from Dev team, the unlock would definietly arrive when ios5 hits. which is in 2 months. So keep your fingers crossed

15. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

If your iPhone is still on 1.59.00 then it's definitely a soft unlock.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You uninstalled what?
    You cant uninstall redsnow, thats just the program used to JB an iphone.
    Did you try what I told you above opening up cydia?
    Sounds like you're on unlockable baseband and most likely its just JB and software unlocked.

17. cuteoz thread starter macrumors newbie

hello

hello,

sorry what i meant was I uninstalled repo666. whatever it was and I dont see it on Cydia anymore. I still get at&t signal tho. is this a sign that my phone is factory unlocked. and I read up some reviews and they say that iphones in italy are all factory unlocked. really confused.. doesnt anyone know anything about Italy iphones?

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What about ultrasnow? Is it installed under packages? Removing the source is not the same.
    If ultrasnow was installed it is NOT factory unlocked.

19. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

Since your phone is on the 01.59 baseband, I would not rule out a software unlock. When you go into Cydia, and go to Manage>Sources do you see a source with the words "ultrasn0w" in it? And if so, when you click on that source, is ultrasnow installed? If not, then I think it's safe to assume your phone is either locked to AT&T, or officially unlocked.

Although, like someone mentioned before, I can confirm that iPhones in Italy are sold unlocked.

20. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If it's truly from Italy, maybe some idiot bought it not knowing it was facunlocked, and has been preserving the baseband LOL.

Or

It's foreign and was simply sold in Italy, hence not being factory unlocked. The OP is being kind of a space cadet with his answers so it's hard to say right now.

21. cuteoz thread starter macrumors newbie

hey

hey,

well I got this from a friend whos aparently from italy, and its a SHE lol.. i guess she gave someone to jailbreak it for her and they did the whole process of jailbreaking while also installing ultrasnow lol. anyhow I can confirm its from italy specially with the model number. So I guess i'll update with Itunes and give you'll some feedback. I called apple and they said its "unlocked" so i guess its good to go.. Keeping my fingers crossed. lol..

I guess if you really want to check wether your Iphone is unlocked You really need to update its software lol..

SO yea there you go

Thanks everyone for there input.

22. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

If Apple told you it's unlocked, you're good to go mate. Update it to the latest software. I'm guessing whoever bought it didn't realize it was factory unlocked.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good luck dude.
    After the update you will know for sure.

24. cuteoz thread starter macrumors newbie

hey

hey

everybody had updated the software to the latest one, and it seems to work fine.. it didnt say congratulations your iphone is unlocked. but it sure is unlocked! any idea why it doesnt say that? by the way i dont think the unlock will come for 4.2.1 and above until a proper working ios 5 comes out. what do you think?

thanks