Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hi, i'm buying the new unibody macbook pro and want some help or tips on any checklist that i should be aware of.
any factory defects or something like that that i can check on it when i get it ?

and i'm buying the 2.4 Ghz model. And i'm thinking to upgrade it to 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD, any recomendation on the harddrive as well?

thx guys.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
If you want to upgrade your memory to 4GB, don't buy it from Apple. I bought my RAM from Other World Computing (a Mac parts website) and it was very easy to install. You can upgrade for around $40 to $50 when Apple would charge $100 or $200.

jfull15

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
If you want to upgrade your memory to 4GB, don't buy it from Apple. I bought my RAM from Other World Computing (a Mac parts website) and it was very easy to install. You can upgrade for around $40 to $50 when Apple would charge $100 or $200.

I'd wait to buy RAM, seeing that the unibodies are having trouble with 3rd party RAM. Wait for Apple to release a fix before you upgrade.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW

Wrong. He's talking about a new MBP, Apple's price on RAM is close to par w/ anyone else's and they install it for you. We're talking DDR3 here.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario

It won't be 40-50 for DDR3 memory...and the new Unibodies seem dodgy with ram that is not from Apple. Apple's prices for the ram is not that much more this generation, so if you are planning to go for 4GB, get it from them...or don't and wait for a fix and most likely by then, the prices for 3rd party ram will have gone down a considerable amount.

cohenben

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2008
Midwest
thx about the ram suggestion

how about the harddrive and is there "any" common defects that i should be aware of about the new MBP ?

i need to buy soon cause my 2 years old MacbookBlack 2.0 fans has started to "sing" :p

Here's a basic list of some problems I've heard people mention throughout this forum:
- "black screens" (usually during certain heavy gaming situations)
- the expresscard port isn't functioning with every device people put into it (including many firewire 400 expansion cards)
- a loud fan or louder than expected hum from inside the machine
- expanding the RAM with third-party kits, or beyond 4 GB can cause freezing, other problems
- at least one person has reported temperatures above normal
- the screen is glossy (just kidding)

***it's my opinion that people are more likely to come here and complain about a problem than simply say how perfectly their machine is working. This can make an isolated problem quickly appear like a widespread issue. Maybe take a look at how many people viewed a thread vs how many people reported having a similar problem (this might give some indication of how blown out of proportion a certain problem can feel when you read 3-4 people freak out about it together online).

I suggest you don't get too wrapped up in people telling you they have a problem with their machine, as I would bet at least 90% of the MBs/MBPs out of the box will not have any of these issues. It's too early to tell if there is any widespread defect with any of these machines, in fact there is only evidence against that (ie Apple hasn't done any kind of warranty extension or recall). Apple's warranty and Apple Care system is uncanny in customer service and ability to fix or replace a problem, so go ahead and buy any of their machines knowing that for 3 years (at least) they'll take very good care of you. If the machine's specs fit your needs, then buy it. If something goes wrong, Apple will get you back up and running very quickly. I just took my Powerbook G4 (5 years old and well past it's Apple Care coverage) to a genius bar and they spent over an hour with me diagnosing it and re-installing the OS...FOR FREE! These computers will last a LONG time if you want them to, partly thanks to Apple standing behind you and their product for as long as you are willing to be friendly and ask nicely at the genius bar.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
- Check the screen for backlight bleeding, and if you have a preference for LG/Chi Mei
- Check the casing for cosmetic damage (scratches, parts that haven't been milled correctly)
- Check the battery cover to see if it is flush and tight (some have been loose)
- Check if your MBP is playing nice with external displays
- Look for wonky keys (particularly the Function ones)

I did all the above in the Apple Store, so if there had been a problem I could exchange on the spot. Luckily my machine was perfect.

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
how about the harddrive and is there "any" common defects that i should be aware of about the new MBP ?

Hard drive: I got a Seagate Momentus 500GB that seemed to work fine but was quite loud, and then it failed after about two weeks. I now have a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB and it is very quiet and performs well.

Defects: Hard to say how common they are, but I've encountered most of them already.

My first machine had a dead pixel (unacceptable to me), severe backlight bleed (9C84 screen) and extremely crooked keys.

Second machine had no dead pixels but even worse backlight bleed (9C84). The keys were a little crooked but I didn't mind. The machine went back because of the backlight, though.

Third machine has a beautiful screen (9C84) but the SuperDrive completely failed 48 hours after purchase. Not wanting to risk other defects with a replacement computer, I opted to have the drive repaired. Soon after, the cooling fans started the rattling/grinding noise that some have encountered. Had the fans repaired. Then the LCD started flickering when running on the 9400M at any brightness less than 50%, so it's in the shop for a logic board replacement. If that doesn't end my problems with it, I'll be asking Apple for a replacement machine regardless of the fact that I'm well outside the usual exchange period.

Try not to let this scare you. I just have, and always have had, the worst luck with MacBook Pros. No other Mac I've owned has ever had a problem, but as for MacBook Pros I have been through a LOT of them since 2006.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.