Chevrolet Volt expected to get 230 MPG city!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by quagmire, Aug 11, 2009.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Today GM announced that using a draft of what the EPA will use to test plug in electric vehicles, the Volt is expected to get 230 MPG city.

http://media.gm.com/servlet/Gateway...ws/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=2&docid=56132

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pretty impressive but I get the impression that this car is still a ways off. I'd be surprised if they move any big numbers of this model but the technology will sure help them.

3. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I wouldn't want the first-gen models. Definitely a later model though when/if the technology becomes more proven outside a lab.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And how much CO2 is produced to generate the electricity to charge the thing?

And it's going to cost roughly $40,000. No way in hell would I spend 40 grand on a Chevy.

5. Keebler macrumors 68030

exactly. i think for them to hit a home run, they need to sell this thing at a very affordable price. i know they're spending alot on R & D, but with the recession still hurting folks (even though it won't be supposedly out until next year), if they can slap a 'sale' price on it, more ppl would buy it I think (total guess).

The more volume, the higher sales possibly?

I do agree with the article that this is a game changer. You know the major players are working on similar vehicles. It would be neat to drive around most of the week without needing gas. Think of the reduction in smog for the larger cities.

Cheers,
    Keebler

6. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Lets see what type of mileage it gets according to the current EPA test matrix (which decently approximates real life).

7. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

It will have a $7500 tax credit making it a bit more affordable, but don't expect it to be Prius cheap anytime soon. The Lithium battery is expensive as hell and is the main force behind the $40K rumored sticker.

I would spend $40K on a Chevy( already do with our Suburban). I would spend $118K for one too( Corvette ZR1 :cool: ). But for you image conscious people, the Converj is nearly green lighted.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Interesting development or maybe I should say ongoing development. That mileage is wonderful if it can achieve it.

On the negative side, what is the cost for charging it? In this case, we may be swapping efficient gas use with less effective electricity generation, transmission and storage.

9. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

As stated in the press release, it will cost a person about $2.75 per 100 miles of electricity.

10. Tortellino macrumors newbie

Power generation is more efficient with the bigger power plants. The efficiency of the the steam generating power plants is around 35-50%. I don't know how much transmission of the power will consume, but I doubt it's a game changing amount. The internal combustion engines have average efficiency of 18-20%. If hybrids improve fuel efficiency by about 30% then you get 24-27% efficiency.

That's the cost. As far as the price goes, it has already been answered.

I would be more concerned about the load on the power grids when everyone plugs in at night. The existing grids in the US already fail during the Christmas lights seasons, and during heat waves due to A/C use. How many plugged cars can the grids handle?

11. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I wonder what the battery life is, and what the replacement cost will be. You may need to refinance before it's paid off.

But, I'm excited to see progress on alternative sources.

12. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

I believe GM is going to warranty the battery for 10 years/150,000 miles.

The battery will be kept between 30%-80% charge in order to prolong battery life.

13. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Hopefully the batteries won't be manufactured by Sony.

14. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

The battery is being made by LG Chem and made in the US.

15. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Looks like "fuzzy math" again.

16. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

MPG?? Forget MPG! If you need to charge it for 8 hours on a 230 Volt dedicated line, then what does it get per mile figuring in the cost of electricity! No energy is free. To generate more electricity you need to burn more gas/coal and you are right back where you started! Simple physics folks. :cool:

17. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

its not fuzzy math, just marketing ... ya, if you drive 50 miles, you'll use very little gas, and get 230mpg.

the thing that sucks is the charge time. 10 hrs for only 40 miles?

18. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Or 3 hours for the 240 volt charging station.

And remember, it is only using 50% of the batteries capacity. It will be kept between 30%-80% charge.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The 8 hours charge would only be an issue if you are running at 120V. Most people who buy the Volt are going to get a little rewiring done to get a 240V plus in for it. I believe it going to cost 200 or so to get that rewiring done at ones home.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Using the new EPA standards, the 230 MPG doesn't mean anything because there's nothing for me to compare it to.

It's far too easy to report a deceptively large value for mpg when the method devised favours this type of car. Perhaps the EPA favours this type of car, and want the discrepancy in mpg numbers to appear enormous.

Like Drumjim85 said, you'd use very little petrol over 50 miles. Well no kidding. You're not using any petrol over the first 40 miles.

21. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I suppose a better estimate would be to know what the mileage is when the gas engine is going.

22. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

so thats what all those ads on Hulu have been about!
    the ones with the green background with the 23 and the outlet(as 0).
    the ads got changed today to say Chevy Volt...
    i am actually impressed with that marketing.:eek:
    maybe Obama's General Socialized Motors got some good stuff going!:p

23. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well of course: "miles per gallon" of gasoline doesn't work if it's not using petrol.

24. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The fuzzy math of comparing electric cars to gas vehicles using MPG is fuzzy to say the least.

Fine and dandy for a vehicle to quote the number for a fully electric loop. But for hybrid owners, not really unless they make sure the consumer knows it is for a all electric loop.

Likely, like the Tesla, the EPA's MPG conversion should improve as the drive system is refined along with some program tweaks. For the Tesla, the jump was huge over the scattered release MPG numbers -- likely not going to be as big with the numbers on the Volt.