Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

5c_and_5s-250x248.jpg
China Mobile, the world's biggest mobile carrier, has announced that it is preparing to introduce a new brand for its mobile service on December 18, potentially signaling the launch of its 4G network and sales of the iPhone on the carrier, reports The Wall Street Journal.
The launch is expected during the company's 4G global partners conference in Guangzhou, according to China Mobile's website. An executive at the world's largest mobile operator has said it is ready to start fourth-generation mobile services, though China has yet to issue 4G licenses.
Last month, an alleged China Mobile poster promoting the upcoming release of the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c on the network surfaced, which followed approval of the iPhone by Chinese officials to run on China Mobile's TD-LTE network.

A deal between China Mobile and Apple has long been in the works, with China Mobile Chairman Xi Guohua and Apple CEO Tim Cook meeting in July to discuss "matters of cooperation", with the former indicating that he felt optimistic about a potential deal leading up to the announcement of the new phones.

The introduction of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c earlier this month also brought band tweaks that combine support for U.S. carriers AT&T and Verizon in one model, while notably also adding support for China Mobile's network.

Article Link: China Mobile Launching New Brand on December 18, Fueling Rumors of iPhone Debut

Rocketman

macrumors 603
We have been hearing about China Mobile and TD-LTE for the better part of four years now. It is good to see this moment finally arrive. Apple certainly has 5C capacity to spare so should have plenty even for such a large roll out. The 5S on the other hand, especially in gold . . . .

Rocketman

Comment

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Does anyone have any good indication as to the impact of China Mobile on AAPL? Any good articles? thx

Comment

alphaod

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I hope they do release their TD-LTE network. I specifically paid a lot more for my iPhone 5s in China instead of buying them in the US for the TD-LTE compatibility. Being a China Mobile user I have been stuck on EDGE for way too long.

(It's $1130 for the 64GB 5s compared to only $849 plus tax in the US; AppleCare+ is $130 and only $99 respectively)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.