Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Engadget points out a China Unicom press release which officially announces that the company has come to an agreement with Apple to sell the iPhone in China:
On 28 August, the Company and Apple reached a three-year agreement for the Company to sell iPhone in China. The initial launch is expected to be in the fourth calendar quarter of 2009. This will provide users with brand new communication and information experience.
The announcement ends months of rumors and speculation about Apple's entry into the Chinese mobile phone market. Few details were provided in the announcement. Previous rumors had suggested the Chinese iPhone would be customized for that particular market even excluding Wi-Fi capabilities.

Article Link: China Unicom Announces 3 Year iPhone Deal

zxcvb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
This could be massive for potential sales of the iPhone, assuming enough of China's huge population can afford the iPhone. I wonder just how many that is?

oh please, as a poor ass college student in 2001 at shanghai, my cellphone was worth $750. An iPhone should be easier than affordable by now

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
oh please, as a poor ass college student in 20001 at shanghai, my cellphone was worth $750. An iPhone should be easier than affordable by now

I wonder what version of the iPhone will be available in 20001 ;)

No, seriously, this is good news for both Apple and users everywhere. If they have an App Store China, there'll be lots of opportunities for Apple to make more money, and for developers in China to make money. Also, non-Chinese developers might want to localise their apps for China now as their market has just gotten bigger.

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Well, hopefully Apple can deliver some new iPhones to Europe before it is released in China... lots of european customers who preordered iPhone in July are still waiting for it, and estimated delivery is in the end of september...

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
This is an exciting opportunity for Apple to expand their market — but at what cost? I find it disturbing that they'll allow the iPhone to be sold there without WiFi ability. That means that Unicorn will completely control what users are able to access. It's strange, since any WiFi hotspots must go through one carrier or another in China. I'm not sure what the point is, outside of preventing any access if users travel outside the country.

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
very slow

I can't believe how slow they were to reach an agreement with someone that would sell the IPhone in China. It looks like Apple can afford to waste large amounts of money just for being lazy about signing a deal. How is China Unicom? They don't even have a decent web site.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
...And App Store favorites such as PocketGod and iFart can look forward up to $980,000,000 in net profits. I should be so lucky...

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
EVERY DAMN TIME I read it as "China Unicorn" and get utterly confused for a second.

mt1108750913.jpg

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Good news for china.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
I can't believe how slow they were to reach an agreement with someone that would sell the IPhone in China. It looks like Apple can afford to waste large amounts of money just for being lazy about signing a deal.

You're joking, right?

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Make a bunch of factories over there, get plenty of cheap labor to make the products, then have them ship it over here, only to package it and sell it back to them at full subsidized retail value.

Now, that's capitalism, baby!

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
A great way for Apple to increase the iPhone (and Apple product) footprint.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Cha-ching! Cha-ching! Cha-ching!

This just turned Peter Oppenheimer into a giggly little schoolboy ;)

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6
I can't believe how slow they were to reach an agreement with someone that would sell the IPhone in China. It looks like Apple can afford to waste large amounts of money just for being lazy about signing a deal.

Seriously. A faster deal/contract is not a better deal/contract. A company like Apple has to be careful about these types of contracts. It's quite a bit different than dealing with AT&T or O2 or Orange. Apple basically just signed a contract with the People's Republic of China, not just some telcom!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.