Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davin wei

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
I have lived in Guangzhou China the past 6 years. I haven't posted on MacRumors in a very long time (at least 7 years) and actually had to make a new account to throw my silly opinion out for everyone to read.

When I first read this story on macrumors and yahoo about the fake Apple stores in Kunming, it surprised me, in that, this is news? You wouldn't believe the amount of copy Apple stores where I live here in Guangzhou, for years now. I read that story and thought, why is this getting press? This is business as usual for China. You visit any major city in China, and likely many of the smaller ones, I'm pretty well traveled in China, and you will find any number of copy Apple stores. Now, they all sell legitimate Apple products from my experience. I have NEVER seen a knock off Apple laptop or desktop sold at any of these stores. It just doesn't exist. It would be too cost prohibitive for the Chinese to come up with a replica close enough to the original to make any money. These knock off stores are, in my opinion, taking advantage of the popularity of the Mac platform over here and filling a need. iAnything and Mac anything is HUGELY popular at the moment. Apple only has a few official stores in China right now and where there is a desire for something, there is someone willing to fill that. They sell all their products in these fake Apple stores for the same price as you could order them on Apples official Chinese online store. As Apple expands it's presence in China, these knock-offs will slowly disappear for sure. Until then though, it only benefits Apple, and the average consumer in China certainly doesn't know the difference between a true Apple retail store and a fake. Even the employees believe they work for Apple if I read the article correct.
I'm not saying this is good or bad, it just is. I would never buy an Apple product from them personally. China puts a very high tax on all Apple products. For all my Apple needs, I take the 3 hour bus trip to Hong Kong which sells everything at about American prices, minus the sales tax.
There are certainly fake iPhones and iPods to be bought in China, but anyone with a brain knows they are fakes. The market in Guangzhou called haiyin guangchang will do their best to confuse you, but any moderately savvy user will know the difference.
Just my two cents!

Brian

Chinese market is so big that companies absolutely don't want to give up including Apple. Even though Google move the headquater to Hongkong from China mainland, Facebook's CEO whose website was blocked visited China for chances.

wallny

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
I'm from China, trying to be unbiased

I'm from China, living in the US. It's true that we haven't done enough IP enforcement. And I'm very sad reading this kind of stuff.

Actually most Chinese ppl understand IP infringement is wrong. But...there're just too many reasons ppl still doing it.

On average chinese middle-class is earning only 1/6 of US median salary. You could afford a $200 Windows 7 and $200 Office with no doubt, because you're earning $1k a week. What if you're earning only $150 a week, at the same time you can get piracy software free of charge?

They have kids to feed...It'll cost 3 month salary to do the "right thing". While ppl have a lot stuff in real life to worry about, food, housing, etc., the right thing may be too costly. Yes it's wrong, but they still have to do it.

The government just cannot take care of so many stuff at the same time. China is such a big country with 1.4b population. Running this country is not easy job. There're just too many issues worth more attention than IP protection. The priority to eliminate copycats is not high.

Understanding the situation in China, Microsoft is actually lowering their price for operating system. Genuine Windows 7 sometimes goes as low as $40, and more and more people are paying for software.

There're really a lot stuff behind this fake store story. It's not good. We're trying to do our best to make changes.

Well, it's good news for Apple actually. Apple should open up more stores: 100 official stores? no...at least 2 or 3 in major cities. Top cities like Beijing, with 22M population, 10 stores at least.

There're just so many opportunities there waiting for Apple.

wallny

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
Replies from my chinese friends.

Just confirmed with my tech-savvy friends in China who happened to know Apple stuff there:

All machines are real Apple products. (fake iPhone does exist, but not being sold at any "stores" even fake stores. they're on the street, or internet)

Those unauthorized sellers get the products from grey channels, like smuggling from HK, US. Some sellers may get genuine products from authorized sellers or distributors.

Warranty is valid (that's true)!
Beijing and Shanghai Apple genius bar will take care of broken machines, even if knowing the product is not sold by authorized dealers.

That makes sense because "grey apple" is still apple product. Global warranty is a MUST for a company like Apple.

Ronald Williams

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
not just apple the sales of many more top brands in china is being hit by these fake stores or companies with similar names...i just can't imagine how many people in the world are using cheap low quality fancy chinese stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.