Chinese Parts Supplier Claims to Offer iPhone or 'iTablet' SIM Card Tray

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Chinese parts supplier China Ontrade has posted what it claims to be a SIM card tray from the fourth-generation iPhone, although the site suggests that the device may actually be Apple's much-rumored "iTablet". According to the product description, the part came directly from Foxconn, Apple's frequent manufacturing partner that has reportedly been tabbed to build the tablet.
Original Apple iTablet iPhone 4 Generation (Probably iTablet) SIM Tray OEM This part came from Foxconn to our warehouse at 10.23.2009.
China Ontrade notably posted a claimed third-generation iPhone bezel, which actually turned out to apparently be from the Creative Zii Egg. Consequently, we remain skeptical of this source, but post the new information on Page 2 for discussion.

Article Link: Chinese Parts Supplier Claims to Offer iPhone or 'iTablet' SIM Card Tray

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Whoa. I have NEVER seen a SIM tray like this before! If you know anything about SIM trays you'll immediately see what Im talking about. Wow. Talk about a game changer. Look for AAPL to top 300 today. ;)

danoindigo

Jul 27, 2007
iTablet

I'm sorry, but iTablet just sounds stupid. My opinion is that Apple will name their tablet the MacBook Touch.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!1!!...a freakin piece of plastic.... this definitely confirms the next iphone.... :rolleyes:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm sorry, but iTablet just sounds stupid. My opinion is that Apple will name their tablet the MacBook Touch.

Unless the device runs OS X (which I highly doubt), it won't be called a Mac. Naming it with Mac in the title will kill sales to Windows users.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Just so you know, this is the conservation that took place a few minutes ago

Me: Hello, Apple Section S-TR5, I'd like to flag some fishy behavior.
Apple: Yes go ahead citizen what fishy behavior did you see?
Me: On MR, user danoindigo code ID 8708205 said the a possible apple name was stupid
Apple: We see, we'll look into as soon as possible
Me: He seems like a good guy, I just wanted to flag it because he may need his daily interval of Fathers RDF treatment adjusted.
Apple: You did the right thing citizen
Actually, I lie this is the conservation that would have happened if my iPhone worked half as well as my dads bag phone did 20 years ago.

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
First, it seems HIGHLY unlikely that a odd parts supplier might have inside knowledge like this.

Second, if the do... so what? it's a freaking SIM tray. It's been pretty obvious for a LONG time SOMETHING was EVENTUALLY coming... we now may know it has a SIM tray... OMG a SIM tray.... I hear it might have a battery in it too... and here's the really awesome detail, there is a docking port on it... yes that's right a docking port!

If this is relevant at all, and I don't know it is, isn't the relevance that the next iWhatever will still be GSM as opposed to CDMA.

So, still AT&T and not Verizon?
CDMA is dying... when will people realize this? GSM has for a LONG time been the world standard, and LTE is the future world standard at which point the ridiculous smorgasbord of standard in the US may finally come to and end thank god.

Liquado

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
Emo, Ontario
CDMA is dying... when will people realize this? GSM has for a LONG time been the world standard, and LTE is the future world standard at which point the ridiculous smorgasbord of standard in the US may finally come to and end thank god.
It's just not dying quickly enough (stares wistfully at his crap Motorola phone).

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
First, it seems HIGHLY unlikely that a odd parts supplier might have inside knowledge like this.

Second, if the do... so what? it's a freaking SIM tray. It's been pretty obvious for a LONG time SOMETHING was EVENTUALLY coming... we now may know it has a SIM tray... OMG a SIM tray.... I hear it might have a battery in it too... and here's the really awesome detail, there is a docking port on it... yes that's right a docking port!

Call China, I'm sure they will say different. ALso, is not the HSDPA standard based on CDMA via W-CDMA? Not sure on that one.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
CDMA subscriber numbers worldwide have increased every year since its introduction.

But look at your graph. Since 2007 the curve is reversing, and flattening out fairly quickly. As technology adoption curves go, this is pretty typical: a slow start, takes a few years to get a significant foothold, increases rapidly, then dies out even more rapidly as the next great thing is right in the sweet spot of its adpotion curve where things ramp up quickly.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
But Verizon's red "there's a map for that" map shows all the Alltel CDMA/EVDO A towers that Verizon got from acquiring Alltel. They need those towers to support those customers. It'll take a few years to get a return on that investment, before they'll be able to roll out 4G LTE to all of those locations. CDMA, at least in the USA, is not dying as quickly as you might think.

tonyshucraft

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
I agree. Saying iTablet is just as stupid as saying "iThink".
Especially when iDon't. It may sound better as iTab or something shorter with the"i" at the beginning. I don't know what it will be called but my guess is that whatever they do will be shunned and thought of as a failure and then it will succeed later on and become a major part of Apple's success.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
What a load of cods-waddle! They are only trying to get traffic through their site.

Besides it's not going to be called "iTablet" as phoneticlly this differs from the other i** products, iTablet already exists as a tablet PC, is a registred tradname and URL.

Whoa. I have NEVER seen a SIM tray like this before! If you know anything about SIM trays you'll immediately see what Im talking about. Wow. Talk about a game changer. Look for AAPL to top 300 today. ;)
Sorry but can you tell the un-initiated what you're on about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.