Chinese resellers?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by am476, Mar 18, 2011.

1. am476 macrumors newbie

First of all, I hope this thread doesn't devolve into something that is racially offensive. I'm Asian, so I'm not trying to start a racist post.

With that said, I'm really curious what's going on with Chinese people taking over iPad 2 lines throughout the entire country. They are pretty organized and have tons of cash on them.

I was at Willowbrook mall in NJ yesterday morning and saw a bunch of Chinese people buying 2 iPads each all with cash. The curious thing was that there were 2 who cut the line (fortunately, they ran out of iPads right before they were up) and there were others who paid $100 to 2 or 3 people who up front for their place in line. With them paying this much for spots on line, how much profit can they be making for something that will likely be widely available quite soon.

The whole thing seemed very shady.

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

3. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

They are re-selling them at 100% markup to buyers in China/Hong Kong.

4. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Really? You haven't read at least one of several threads devoted to this topic?

5. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

About 30% of the posts on this forum are degenerating into 'scumbag resellers' comments or worse ('American ipads are not meant for Asians'). It's tired, ineffectual and pointless. There's nothing illegal, shady or unfair about it, so let's just find something else to spend our energy on, shall we?

6. manman macrumors regular

Wait, are you saying you are Chinese, or just 'Asian'. You do realize that being Asian doesn't preclude you from being racist against chinese people right? Asians can be (and in many cases ARE) racist against other asians...lol.

Not trying to say you are, I just thought it was funny that you pointed out you are Asian. Seriously though- there's like a billion threads in here about this. If you want to see a healthy mix of racism and lack of supply/demand understanding you can check one of those out for some fun.

7. Rafterman macrumors 68000

They are scumbags - scumbags who prey on the desires of others. They cut lines, buy out the iPads, then set up shop right in front of the Apple store to resell the iPads at 100 percent markup to people who leave the store after being denied an iPad by the scumbag's actions (scalping is illegal in NY state by the way, as is selling product without a pedler's license). That's what's particulary galling. They are sending some iPads out of the country, but many are reselling them right in fron of the Apple stores. They intercept these iPads and resell them to Apple customers leaving the store empty handed, at 100 percent markup. How anyone is OK with this is beyond me.

It is unfortunate that Chinese people are being singled out when all colors and creeds of people are doing this across the country. But because this is happening in New York City, where every time a mouse's farts, it becomes news around the world, Asian faces are what people watching the news see. Thus they unfairly end up taking all the blame.

And yes, Amercian iPads are meant for Americans, just like Far East iPads are meant for people in the Far East and European iPads are meant for Europeans. That'a why Apple organizes world launch schedules - so that the inventory for a particular country doesn't get crushed, like it is now.

But make no mistake. Regardless of race, sex, age or nationality, anyone who does this scalping as an organized shakedown is a scumbag and I do not have a much better opinion on people who tolerate it or think its OK to make a buck any way possible. Its dispicable. These scalpers need to find real jobs that actually produce something for society, not just prey on others.

8. manman macrumors regular

*sniff sniff*...cue the violin music...

Oh sir, you've got me all teary eyed... These poor folks with strong desires to fulfill their god-given right to own an ipad... How will these people survive? How will they find the strength to go on?? If losing your chance to own an iPad due to someone else wanting one enough to pay more for it isn't one of the worst tragedies to rear it's ugly head in this country...I just don't know what is.

Please keep these people in your prayers folks. They need our support.

9. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Why should someone who wants an iPad be ashamed of it?

And what? I shouldn't post about issues concerning Apple products on a board about Apple products? Should I go over to the iPhone forum and talk about the disasater in Japan? Or maybe go to the Mac forums and talk about politics?

This is a forum about iPad issues. If you wish to talk about more meaningful subjects, I would suggest CNN.com or the BBC web site. I myself frequent CBSNews.com, where I don't talk about iPads.

10. manman macrumors regular

aaaaaaand point missed. That one flew right by you huh?

11. Rafterman macrumors 68000

No, it seemed you are the one who missed the point. Your attempt to say there are more meaningful things going on in the world is completely invalid as I already explained to you the purpose of this particular board.

12. manman macrumors regular

Hence the part where you missed the point. That wasn't what I was attempting to say.

13. Pared macrumors 65816

Reported. There's no point in having another thread where people discuss the same exact thing and act like smartasses with each other.

14. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Please enlighten me.

15. manman macrumors regular

As has been pointed out, there are about 10 other threads on this subject. If you need some basic understanding of econ 101, how owning an iPad is not some kind of basic need or right being threatened (no matter how much you 'desire' it), how 'shakedown' and extortion have nothing to do with reselling, or just generally why there's no reason to feel sorry for anyone just because they didn't get one and someone else did- please see those threads.

But no, I was not saying anyone should be ashamed to want an iPad, nor that we shouldn't be discussing iPads due to more serious problems in the world :rolleyes:

16. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Now I know why I didn't understand. That's because I believe that matters of honor know no degree.

Just because an iPad is not a necessary item in life does not forgive bad and even possibly illegal behavior. How you live you life in the small details carries over to the larger ones.

17. manman macrumors regular

the purchase and sale of a consumer electronics toy is a matter of honor. Got it.

Well, seriously- if you feel that strongly about it there are several other threads where the argument is raging. I would check one of those out.

18. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

There's reselling going on? This is the first I've heard of it and news to me.

19. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Like I said, how you deal with the small issues in life indicates how you deal with the important issues. Like that dude in one of those threads you mentioned who went back on his craigslist agreement and literally made a girl cry over $50. A small issue over a consumer item? Maybe. Bu you think he is any more honorable in the larger issues in his life? Probably not.

20. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Naw, it was just a false rumor.

21. biosci macrumors 6502a

22. Rafterman macrumors 68000

23. manman macrumors regular

Did I mention that guy? I don't remember... Anyway, to me that's more of a dick move because he said he promised the girl he would sell it to her, she drove all the way over to his house and then he had sold it to someone else. He's well within his rights to do that, but I do agree giving your word and sticking to it says something about your character. As far as reselling iPads- someone behind me in line wants one, and someone out there on the internet wants one. If I buy a second one and sell it to the guy online that not only wants one, but wants one bad enough to pay more for it because he actually understands that demand is high and supply is low then I don't see anything scummy about it. There is no way to avoid the situation that for every person who gets an iPad, that's one person who doesn't. Regardless of how it happens or for what price, iPads are getting into the hands of people who want them, period. And none of those people is being forced, extorted, shaken down, etc into buying one. They are making a choice. That is why I think it's stupid to feel sorry for anyone who pays over retail or waits in line and doesn't get one...I make the assumption (hopefully not misplaced) that we are all intelligent people who can take responsibility for our own choices.

24. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

it's funny that people are hating on the resellers. last time i checked, this is a capital country isn't it? so as long as people are willing to over pay, i don't see any wrong with those resellers lining up taking all the ipads. they certainly didn't do anything illegal. it's all about supply and demand, as long as demands are there, there's nothing wrong with what they're doing. if i'm jobless and need to make some quick cash, i would do the exact same thing, and yes, i'm Chinese.

25. Rafterman macrumors 68000

I don't blame the line standers, who may very well be jobless. But the ringleaders are dolling out thousands of dollars in cash to buy these iPads in the first place. Doing stuff like this is why they have thousands of dollars to begin with. Its parasitic. I'm sorry, but unless my family's starving, i do not believe in "anything for a buck".