Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
You can use the flash on the camera as a notification indicator.

yeah i know but i love how GSIII does it. red led for a fb not, green for a text etc

even my 2004 siemens phone did and bberry does that. been missing it ever since i got my first iPhone in 2008

Yuniverse

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003
I care less about the hardware changes than I do software changes at this point. Sure, it'll be great to have something new and cool in the hardware side of it, but with the minimal changes in iOS6, I'm already disappointed.:(

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I care less about the hardware changes than I do software changes at this point. Sure, it'll be great to have something new and cool in the hardware side of it, but with the minimal changes in iOS6, I'm already disappointed.:(
It's the combination of both that has so many people here turning to the dark side.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I think Apple will do what they did with the iPhone 4. Make everyone make crazy rumours and mock ups but then release something that no one was expecting.

(Ignoring the fact that some Apple employee lost an iPhone 4 prototype in a bar months before its release and caused most of the rumours to be scarily accurate.)

Lets hope some Apply will 'loose' (*cough*) the iPhone 5 prototype before the launch.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Makes no sense. None of it. How is it easier to look at the front of the phone? Where did you come up with that?

Headphone jacks coming out the bottom of devices have always been associated with cheap, low quality audio devices. Justify it all you want.

Bezetos and ChazUK have both successfully rebutted you. ChazUK even came up with a reason I didn't list previously.

To explain the looking at the phone. Your phone is on the desk in front of you, flat. You have a clear view of the bottom, but you have to lift the device and rotate towards you to see and insert into headphone jack. Takes more work.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The home screen doesn't. And many other apps don't either.

Seems like they could change that with a simple software update. The iPad supports 360-degree rotation, so no reason that the iPhone can't. Although I wonder how the Dock would appear when in horizontal. Might be unusually small? Could be a legitimate reason why they aren't rotating it right now.

vampireszombies

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Texas
It's beautiful. Only Apple could pull off the rustic look. Amazing.

You know these are just mockups right? Nothing official from Apple.

Everyones arguing on here over screen size, design, why the headphone jack is on the bottom etc.
I say wait till it comes out, THEN argue over why its like that.
Till then its arguing over something that may be entirely different then what Apple is going to release.;) But fun to watch the arguments.

Tadros

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
New Jersey
I never liked the idea of the headphone jack being on the bottom of the iPhone or even the iPods. It's just awkward.

andrewzz

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
I so hope this is not the next iPhone, just because I want to see the third party accessory vendors scramble to get something to market when a completely different form factor is released. Is that evil?

You are the symmetric opposite of Darth Vader. May vendors tremble when they hear your name...

Although personally I don't care so much about screwing the vendors, as having a better form factor than what is rumored. Come on Apple, you can do better than that.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Perhaps thats what you've experienced, I'm just reporting what I remember seeing ;)

----------

1. Plug in headphones into your iPhone
2. Put it on a desk in front of you
3. Start listening to some music
4. ...
5. Do you see the problem now?

Why would I be using my iPhone when I'm at my desk again, in front of my computer? :confused:

You mean just like the iPod Touch?

Check mate.

You made my point :)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
betting pools are open

minimum buy is $1US (fake of course)

The pools are:
1. will the 'prototype' be the iPhone or the iPad mini
2. where will it be found (city, type of place etc.)
3. will it be sold to a blog, sold on ebay or something else
4. will it match the drawings, the existing model (for the iPhone) or be something totally different
5. when will the actual product be announced
6. when will the actual product be released

Our bets could be just as accurate as all this prototypes or the analysts

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
I so hope this is not the next iPhone, just because I want to see the third party accessory vendors scramble to get something to market when a completely different form factor is released. Is that evil?

I don't know, but wishing misfortune on other companies and taking pleasure in it seems to be the Apple fanboy way.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
Apple got lazy, iOS 6 and the new (most likely anyways) iPhone is proof of that. They thought "We're the best, why innovate anymore."

This is the beginning of the end of the iPhones dominance.

I'm honestly starting to believe Steve Jobs really was that important to Apple, in the past I've always thought that while playing a large part in the success, it wasn't only him... but since his death my opinion is really beginning to turn into one where without him, there simply is no Apple.

:(

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
headphone jack is on the bottom of my gnex. it makes much more sense than having it on the top. when you pull it out of your pocket its in your hand facing the right direction. when its sits on the desk its facing the right way to use if you want. the chord is also not coming out of the end thats not facing you

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I listen to music on my phone when I'm sitting at a desk in front of my computer. That's totally normal.

Alas, I too, am normal.

If you think that iPod Touch is a cheap, low quality audio device, then indeed I have made your point.

Perhaps the chrome back is seen as cheap, but the rest of the device is peerless in its class.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
still no led notification indicator? *sigh*

Just give up. Like it or not, there are some things that Apple will never put into a phone, despite how useful it is :apple:

Perhaps the chrome back is seen as cheap, but the rest of the device is peerless in its class.

Ever heard of the Zune? :p

As a side note, Samsung came out with a touch screen based music player device as well :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.