Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Burrito restaurant chain Chipotle has launched a new free iPhone application, Chipotle Mobile Ordering [App Store], which builds upon their online ordering system launched in December 2005 and revamped this past October. The application allows iPhone and iPod touch users to customize orders from Chipotle's full menu, pay for their food via credit card, and find directions to their nearest location. The app also allows users to save their orders as "Favorites" to simplify future orders.

Apple's interest in the iPhone as a platform for wireless ordering extends back to a patent application filed by Apple in July 2006 and published in December 2007. The first widely-publicized concept images of how an online ordering app might work were published at about the same time by designer Phil Lu, whose mockups of a Starbucks iPhone ordering app drew significant media attention. While a number of restaurants and third-party ordering systems have deployed web applications compatible with the iPhone and iPod touch, Chipotle Mobile Ordering appears to represent the first major release of a native application for this purpose deployed through the App Store.

Article Link: Chipotle Mobile Ordering Comes to iPhone

Avaj

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2008
I saw that

Pretty cool, hopefully more restaurants will follow suit

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Now if only, you know, Chipotle's food was, you know, eatable? Seriously, they may be okay if you're in an area with absolutely no other mexican restaurants, but really, On the Border and Loco Coco's Tacos both blow them away.

... I'd love it is LCT offered something like this.

Slovig

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2007
I am going to abuse this. I work next to Chipotle, and there is always a line out the door. And I always order food, almost every night I work.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Now if only, you know, Chipotle's food was, you know, eatable? Seriously, they may be okay if you're in an area with absolutely no other mexican restaurants, but really, On the Border and Loco Coco's Tacos both blow them away.

granted its a fast food chain that is also owned by mc'donalds, i think the food is quite good. Granted its a not a real restaurant with waiters and waitresses...

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted (iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I love this place. Their food is a bit expensive though.

Applecababra

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
granted its a fast food chain that is also owned by mc'donalds, i think the food is quite good. Granted its a not a real restaurant with waiters and waitresses...

Chipotle isn't owned by McDonald's. They were once a majority owner of Chipotle shares however they sold 100% of their stake in 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipotle_Mexican_Grill

And since it's not a 'real' restaurant, I guess I've been eating my meals at a fake restaurant all this time. :)

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Hmmm...I'm a bit conflicted about applications like this.

One part of me sees tremendous potential. I like the ability to have "favorite" orders and to pay via the application.

The other part of me thinks about how often I go to any single restaurant (and I do eat out quite a bit) and whether downloading the app would be worth it. In fact, how many different applications from different restaurants would I need *just* to cover the ones I eat at regularly?

The best thing would be a single application endorsed by and containing a wide variety of restaurants with the ability to "favorite" and pay via the application. I might even pay for such an application if it were done well.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Oh my....

I can't wait until I move to Southern Cal this summer..... I'll abuse the heck out of that.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
this is too good...

::shudders with delight at thought of steak burrito entering mouth after ordering via iPhone::

EDIT: hmm... their food is definitely better than their programming skills. This one needs more work.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003

on the border is garbage and about as authentic mexican as olive garden is authentic italian. it's literally a mexican chili's - not a good thing.

chipotle isn't and doesn't claim to be mexican, but they have far better base ingredients than on the border. for instance they only use thigh meat (tastiest part of the chicken) and sell the rest to panera bread. their beans are organically grown, most of their meats are also organic raised.

having said that though the sodium content in a chicken burrito is so absurdly high i won't eat there anymore (2411mg of sodium or 100% of your RDA is way over the top and that's without sour creme or guac). of course anything from brinker's (chili's, on the border, et. al.) is a death wish on a plate too. brinker hasn't met a food substance they don't think can be made better with a shaker's worth of salt.

dgouldin

macrumors member
May 23, 2008
Have you guys actually tried to *use* the app? It's a horrible user experience. A cheap web shim with UI problems and bugs galore. I'm not even really sure why it's an app since they make you type in a zip code to choose a store to order from.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yeah....

A new Chipotle opened up near my house, just a few months ago. I'll probably grab this app, in case I find the occasion to use it. I've only eaten there twice though, and I agree that they're really a little too expensive.

One of my buddies works for a place that installs and maintains those touch-screen cash register systems for restaurants, and we were recently talking about all the potential for linking those up with iPhone ordering support. (The big chains like Starbucks or Chipotle might be able to afford to hire developers to build apps like this just for them. But the "mom and pop" restaurants, diners, and bars that serve food aren't likely to do this unless it's pre-packaged as a feature built into their point-of-sale system.)

Rest assured, these things are being worked on, so this is the "tip of the iceberg", really.

Wirelessly posted (iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I love this place. Their food is a bit expensive though.

North Bronson

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
San José
Please, people, find yourself some Mexicans and eat yourself some real Mexican food.

Restaurants that charge for chips are just wrong on so many levels.

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
on the border is garbage and about as authentic mexican as olive garden is authentic italian. it's literally a mexican chili's - not a good thing.

chipotle isn't and doesn't claim to be mexican, but they have far better base ingredients than on the border. for instance they only use thigh meat (tastiest part of the chicken) and sell the rest to panera bread. their beans are organically grown, most of their meats are also organic raised.

having said that though the sodium content in a chicken burrito is so absurdly high i won't eat there anymore (2411mg of sodium or 100% of your RDA is way over the top and that's without sour creme or guac). of course anything from brinker's (chili's, on the border, et. al.) is a death wish on a plate too. brinker hasn't met a food substance they don't think can be made better with a shaker's worth of salt.

I've started going w/ the bowl because of the extra sodium from the tortilla - it's just as good if not better so if you're craving one you might go that route. Of course I get extra rice w/ no beans so I'm fairly certain that blows the sodium content out of the water but, ooo, it's soo good.

As for another comment about it being a good place if there's no other mexican I live in freakin' Texas and Chipotle is still very good. You're right about On The Boarder, it's nothing but a chain and not even a very good one at that. There's also Free Birds burittos down here but Chipotle beats them hands down - FreeBirds rice is awful and their steak is dry.

Anyway - the user experience is kinda blah since you seem to have to enter your e-mail and password everytime you fire it up and you can't just click on a restaurant and hit order, you have to enter a zip. Now, it will tell you what's closest and will link you to the google maps app but having to enter a zip to be able to order is kinda lame. The having to enter user info everytime is much more annoying however.

Tastic Bycrom

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Are we seriously almost starting a flamewar about the quality of the food, when the article is about the ability to order it?

C'mon people, on topic. I would like to say why bother. I eat a Chipotle regularly and don't spend time trying to think of a more convenient way to order it. They're already pretty fast. However, I have also tried to eat a Chipotle in Las Vegas and waited for far too long just due the amount of customers in line. Is the the true purpose of this?

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
No Kidding!

Have you guys actually tried to *use* the app? It's a horrible user experience. A cheap web shim with UI problems and bugs galore. I'm not even really sure why it's an app since they make you type in a zip code to choose a store to order from.

I tried using it the day it came out and I couldn't believe how F'd up it is to use. I gave up. It takes longer to order a burrito than it does to fill out a mortgage application.
I like the restaurant but I think the cooks should stick to cooking and contract out for a real developer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.