Christmas 2011 and iPad2 / iPad3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I'm just thinking openly here, but wondered what others think.

Last Christmas, 2010, there were of course a lot of iPad1's sold, yet also there was talk about some people not being happy buying one, knowing that by April/May ish there would probably be a new model.

It was also said, well, many of the general public won't know there will be a new one coming 4 ish months after Christmas so that won't put them off.

Now..................

Apple brought the iPad2 launch forward from what pretty much everyone was expecting to a Mid March launch. Approx 14 weeks after Christmas.

So, now this time around, this coming Christmas, 2011 is there going to be a different scenario?

People will be expecting a new iPad closer to Christmas this time around than they did this year, due to Apples early iPad2 launch

Also the general public who many not have expected anything, and perhaps did buy an iPad1 for Christmas only to find a new model replacing it 14 weeks later will think to themselves, now we know, we're not going to be caught out again this year.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but Apple bringing the iPad2 out even sooner, and the general public now knowing this, I would think will make it even trickier to justify iPad2's being bought for major Christmas gifts this time around.

Unless, and I know most people don't believe it, Apple bring the iPad refresh date forward to before Christmas.

Or go the other way, and push the next model to much later, past Christmas and perhaps make the current iPad have an 18 month as opposed to 11 / 12 month life.

With the early iPad2 launch, I would have thought they have made buying iPad2's for Christmas an even harder decision to make, especially at people are going to be expecting an even larger major update for the next model.

Thoughts?

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's been rumored that the iPad may be revised again in September.

If so, then buyers could be more confident about buying an iPad for Christmas.

3. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

With demand so heavy, I don't see Apple releasing a new iPad around the holiday season unless they get some real competition from one of the other vendors. Apple has been on a yearly update for almost all of its products, I just don't see that changing.

4. shandyman Suspended

it's only 2 weeks earlier than the original iPad. so not really that much of a change from last year. the iphone releases all vary, but are around the same time, the 3GS came out a month earlier than the 3G, so really the iPad 2 coming out 2 weeks before the original is nothing really.

5. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Yes, I am aware of the rumour, though felt more here have poo poo'd this idea.

Just to reiterate my point.

We, tech nerds! all knew the new iPad was coming out just after Christmas, but now the general public all know it happened as well, and perhaps won't wish to be caught out a second time around.

Which might make doing the same thing this coming Christmas even trickier as more people would probably hold off now they also know a new model is just about to come out.

Perhaps you are right, and some, any refresh before Christmas would solve this.

6. Pozz macrumors newbie

I find it hard to believe that they'd launch a product with less than a year lifespan :confused:

7. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Ok, I guess I should be accurate :)

In the US, which launched a fair bit earlier than the rest of the world

The iPad WiFi Launched on 3rd April 2010
    The iPad 3G Launched on 30th April 2010

The iPad 2. WiFi and 3G Launched on 11th March 2011

So 3 weeks early for the WiFi and 7 weeks early for the 3G.

8. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

The whole iPad 3 this fall rumor needs to stop now. It doesn't make any sense AT ALL!! Please stop with the nonsense. The new iOS 5 will make the iPad 2 ALL NEW again anyway once it's released.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

We must be on the iPad 3 now because a year ago there were 10,000 threads about the iPad 2 coming out before Xmas 2010. So it's the iPad 4 coming out this fall. I remember Steve saying "2011 the year of the iPad 4".

10. shandyman Suspended

oh i was wrong by 1 week, big whoop, i was talking about the iPad 1 launch in general. it still fits within the yearly cycle, as stated the 3g to 3gs varied by a month, but still in the general yearly cycle, which is always based on US release. you're just being picky with me cos you got showed up as being wrong in another thread by me...

11. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Agree - this rumour came from some "Analyst".

Prob the same Analyst which said there would be a iPhone Nano a few years abck and also the iPad 2 would also come in a 7" format.

Seriously - no way in hell will they release another this year.

12. shandyman Suspended

probably the same one that said the iPad 2 wouldn't be out until september time and then said international release would be 3 months after lol

13. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Steve Jobs said at the keynote "2011 is all about the iPad 2", so why are you defying that by starting a thread based on nothing but your own "open" thinking??

By what yardstick do you measure "early" or "late"?

The general public, say you so delicately put it can hardly ignore if a new iPad model (or even rumours of a new model) as every major news site/channel/app has a tech section,,,so its not as if one must go searching to see rumours...If you as a consumer want to buy an iPad then I am sure you will do some research before spending your cash....so don't put the general public down by saying they are not up to speed on new releases. You too are just a general member of the public, so don't take it personally.

iPad is so far a yearly refresh like most Apple products,,,,,so expect the iPad 3 a year from now (give or take a few weeks). That is me thinking "openly"

14. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Just to make it clear.

Personally I don't feel Apple will release an iPad3 this year.

I'm just wondering, now it's obvious to everyone, not just us, that a much better iPad3 will follow just after Christmas, if this is the best timing for Apple to select.

15. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Mid March is not "just after Christmas", that would be implied to be sometime in Jan/early Feb.

16. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

I grant you, it's a matter of opinion.

If I may ask you. Would you buy an iPad2 this Christmas for yourself or as a gift to someone?

Myself, I would not, knowing the next model is due out soon afterwards.

If I knew the new model was not out till, say late summer, then I would have no hesitation in an iPad2 as a Christmas purchase.

17. Selfdestrukt macrumors member

they wont

18. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Most of their Mac lines update on an 8-10 month schedule. Macbook Pro is refreshed on average every 215 days, according to the buyer's guide.

That being said, no, iPad 3 is not coming out in September. This is the year of iPad 2, they said that for a reason. Christmas time is when Apple makes the most bang for their buck with the iPad - component costs are down, supply is strong, and everyone's buying. The March-April release of iPad 3 makes a lot more sense.

It's not like iPad 2s will stop working when the iPad 3 comes out.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Keep in mind Apple's refresh cycle is merely a pattern--its not a set in stone schedule that the company *must* follow. For various reasons, the upgrade pattern has been broken before.

I have no idea whether or not the iPad will be refreshed again before next year obviously, but I don't think it would be out of the question if they released an HD version soon.

20. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

I love these definitive answers. No one knows except Apple so if there is a little buzz going around the best answer is it's possible. The only sure thing is lines. :p

21. Bartman01 macrumors regular

That exact rumor was flying around when the FIRST iPad launched, that the 2nd version would be out before Christmas.

22. xraytech macrumors 68020

I will eat my Smart Cover if a Hardware refresh happens before Christmas 2011

There are plausible threories out there, like Apple had originally planed to release of a High-Rez a.k.a Retina Displayed iPad but had to get a jump on the competition and steal the thunder from the Samsungs and the Motorolas of the tablet world.

A refresh before the end of the year? I will eat my Smart Cover if a Hardware refresh happens before Christmas 2011. A Software refresh and or a Holiday Friendly price drop is more likely.

23. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Actually you make a good point.

It's looking (rumour) that iOS 5 may be delayed a LONG time to late in the year.
    So, as you say, they may seem like a big change has happened towards the end of the year.

24. NTBRNWSHD macrumors member

They did it with the ipod back in the day to get the product launch in line with the strong holiday season demand. Two ipod updates in the same year. Same logic can happen here as well. That will also buy them some more time to launch their LTE version in fall of 2012 instead of dissppointing the mkt with a spring update and no lte

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is not going to happen.

Attached Files: