Christmas eve ideas for a family

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Dec 15, 2014.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For the first time in years, it seems we'll not be going to wife's family on Christmas eve - conflicting plans on their side.

With that said, I'm trying to think of some things to keep my two nearly 9 year old girls active and busy for Christmas Eve.

So far, I'm thinking of various Christmas shows/movies. Maybe a craft or two, maybe baking some cookies for Santa.

Any other suggestions to making the night special and memorable for them?

2. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Go skiing or sledding? Not sure if that's available in your area. Board games? Lots of hot chocolate (with some extra umph for mom and dad).

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I like to go to the Christmas eve church service but it all depends on what type of Christmas you are celebrating :D.

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Card / board games or charades.

My wife and I played Monopoly with my mother-in-law last new years eve, it was fun.:p

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not yet, we have no snow in the Boston Area.

Yeah, that's a possibility. We usually aren't able to do that because of other family obligations. We're free of those obligations, so that's definitely on our short list.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Great ideas. Card games, or, better still, board games are a brilliant idea, especially for that particular age group at that particular time of year. In fact, anything to haul kids away from computers and screens for a few hours is a good idea.

In any case, coming into Christmas, the more usual 'time' constraints, and the sort of set timetables that normally govern much of a standard week, are suspended or put into abeyance. That means you have permission, and time, to vary things. Moreover, the weather - and darkness falling early - will usually mean that indoor games in a cosy, warm setting will be exceptionally attractive and very welcome.

The odd thing is that the kids will probably remember such activities for years, with pleasure, even though they may sound old-fashioned. I, personally, remember the times bard games were played with a cousin we were close to and my brothers; I also remember when an adult would find time to join us.

More recently, early last year, I bought the children of two very good friends a 'nostalgia' edition of Cluedo (the one with the wooden board and high quality playing pieces) and taught them how to play it. Every time since then whenever I have visited that house, the kids (now aged 12 and 9) get the Cluedo out and invite me to join them, which I usually do for a game or two, while their parents pour some port for me.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Would they enjoy building a gingerbread house or making Christmas cookies? It might depend on how well they work together... I'd go for a viewing of It's A Wonderul Life, the best Christmas movie. :)

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Buy some oatmeal give them a ton of it and let them go leave food for reindeer.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Every Christmas Eve we get in the car, grab a hot coffee, and drive around neighborhoods looking at Christmas lights.

10. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I’ve kind of been thinking about a board game thread, especially with the resurgence of board games over the last few years, and all the really outstanding games from smaller, boutique type publishers.

@maflynn

We picked up Castle Panic a couple of months ago, it’s fantastic. Easily learned, lots of variation to keep repeated plays fun, tends toward the players winning and the best part is it’s cooperative, so it’s all the players against the monsters! We even picked up the first expansion that adds all sorts of additional beasties, player magic, fire and whatnot.

Highly recommended. :cool:

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That sounds absolutely brilliant.

Actually, I had really loved Cluedo as a child, and must say that I really enjoyed playing it this past year or two, with the two cheating children (well with one cheating child and one scrupulous child). Great fun.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Board games and baking cookies sounds great to me. I usually bake cucidati this time of year. :)

13. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

It’s really great fun, and co-op games aren’t that common. There can be a winner among the winners, i.e., the Master Slayer (most bad guys dispatched), but it’s win or lose as a team.

Board games [in general] are great because everyone engages - you can get 4, 5, 6 people involved together, which generally isn’t the case with something like a video game.

If anyone is interested:

Castle Panic (currently @ $24.99)
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IUFSPM/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower (expansion, requires original game)
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005YXFW2O/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

[​IMG]

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

May be a dumb idea but when I was a kid we would sit around and make popcorn strings to put on the tree..

Very time consuming but ya get to eat some of the craftwork !!

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, while in general my life is a child free zone, this does sound an interesting game. It is the sort of thing that would indeed interest me, and would - more than likely - interest the two children I referred to in my earlier posts.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That does look interesting. It's been a long time since I've played any board game. :)

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

We watch the film 'Elf' and have a little Glühwein while eating nice Christmas party food. Obviously the kids can't drink the Glühwein but its about building the anticipation/excitement for the day after and starting the party early! :)

18. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm a good Italian woman, so I prepare the 7 fishes.

This year the plan is to watch The Polar Express with the kiddos, play a few board games - they're 7, so I'm hoping to play a few new ones this year. I bought them Clue, so hopefully they like it as much as I did when I was a kid!

I also let them open a present before bed - for the past few years, it's been Christmas PJ's because they'll look very cute for Christmas morning pics! :D

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've never heard of this before, but it sounds like something I could get behind. Except that my wife is a native Texan and has likely never heard of it, either. :(

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Feast of the 7 Fishes

My girlfriend is a native as well, and she's definitely behind it! She hadn't heard of it either until I prepared everything last year. This year she's cooking and her family is coming. It's an awesome tradition. And very yummy!

21. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not dumb, but my mother tried to do this when I was a kid and it failed miserably for my sister and I. That being the case, I'm not sure it will be all that successful for my spawn :p

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That sounds like an excellent plan.

Is 'Clue' what you guys and gals Stateside call the game I grew up with as 'Cluedo'? If so, they are in for a real treat, as it is one of my all time favourite games, as I mentioned a few posts earlier on this thread.

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Miss Scarlet in the Library with the candelstick?

:D

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That is something I had never heard of either; it sounds a really fantastic tradition - enjoy and let us know which of that fabulous cornucopia you plan to prepare and serve (and eat!)

----------

That's the very one. I spent hours playing that as a kid and young teenager with my brother and our favourite cousin.

Actually, I always loved Miss Scarlett, and had considerable success when playing her……..(and rather liked Professor Plum, too - a bizarre combination of which I seem to vaguely resemble in real life, now that I come to think of it….)

25. woodywoodz Suspended

woodywoodz

a board game and some delicious food would be wonderful :p