Christmas Gift Ideas...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acearchie, Nov 7, 2010.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Right so it has come to that awful time when friends, family, etc... have started asking for ideas for christmas gifts and whilst in previous ideas I have had a pretty good idea of what I want this year I am pretty much clueless as nothing pops up that I need.

So I thought I would start this thread so people could throw around ideas of what they want for christmas and maybe inspire others into figuring out what they want!

I am literally open to any options as I have my birthday coming up as well!

So I would love to hear about any cool or quirky gift ideas that you guys have!

Cheers!

2. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

3. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

you think its rough for you, my birthdays on the 28th nov and i don't need anything either.
    since my phone contract is up I was thinking an iphone 4 but they are so expensive (149$ + 24x39$ =1085$) and i really should pay for it myself.
    I would love to get enough money to pay for a visit to a nice hated sydney restaurant and get a degustation :D mmm food!
    I could get the new red nintendo wii but probably after I'm over paper mario and the few good virtual console games, I probably wouldn't play it.
    thinking about an ipod touch, but i really would prefer to just have it all in one as a phone.
    I could ask for 4gb ram for my mbp since my mbp always has at least 100/512mb swap in out.
    my dad really wants to finally get rid of the 24" crt tv and get a hdtv so i guess could kinda use xmas/bday as an excuse to get one.
    I really wanna get a digital kitchen scale so i can weigh out proper snack portions.(hate it when i start snacking on almonds and before i realise i've eaten 500calories :p)
    A paid off preorder for the game dragon age 2 for next feb??
    A paid off preorder for a nintendo 3ds for next march??

there i just wrote anything that i would remotely like to have.
    i really hate having a bday so close to christmas, if i manage to think of anything i want for my bday, i just asking for petty things for xmas
    last year i got a monitor for my bday and xmas got some microsoft points for my xbox for xmas.
    getting gifts is a chore :p

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ha well my birthday's on the 19th of Dec.!

I think I have the same problem as you. Everything that I would ideally love is just too much money to ask for as a gift. If I'm lucky I'll get my Dad's iPhone 3GS when his contract runs out in about 4 months time so I'm not as stuck on the phone situation as you!

I suppose my only idea is GT5 if they ever decide to release it.

I was also thinking of Little Big Planet 2 but that has been set up for release after christmas.

Again, I was on completely the same idea for RAM but it is such a boring gift and I suppose doesn't really feel like fun unwrapping! ha

Thanks for the insight into your predicament. It's got my mind whirring.

5. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

I want plenty of things but the thing I want most is for the iPhone to come to Tmobile. :mad: But until then I will settle for straight cash and a bottle of Jameson.

PS - Just subbed you on YouTube. My channel is Yourwiseguy.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't want really need/want anything either, so that is why I am going to ask for money instead.

I already have
    - iPhone 3GS
    - Mac laptop
    - desktop (4gb ram, 1tb hdd, gtx 260, core i5 quad)

The only thing I would get is a new graphics card, but seeing that it eats through Call of duty, I'm fine :p

I'll save the money for a second gen iPad.

7. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

iMac 3.6 Core i5 21 inch, next rev 13 inch MacBook Pro ssd, iPad, 13 inch MacBook Air (just because), AppleTV, iPod Nano

8. jamesyd1991 macrumors member

9. boros1124 macrumors newbie

10. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

thought it might bump this up as I am still suffering as to what to ask for but also what to get for my parents and sister! If anyone has found any cool or quirky gifts etc share them!

11. nic2991 macrumors newbie

I didn't know what to ask for, and I don't really need anything either. I think I'm getting a nice coffee machine though which will be good.

12. 184550 Guest

Giftcards to Best Buy or Apple perhaps? If you're opposed to straight up asking for cash.

I look through the 'Post Your Last Purchase' thread(s) for inspiration sometimes.

Perhaps look through LL Bean for inspiration as well? I can always find there I like. I received this bag for graduation and it's simply wonderful. I'm considering asking for this messenger bag as I'm in the same position as you; there's nothing I really want besides an iPad, Santa.

13. Heath macrumors regular

In a different train of thought, since everyone in my immediate family has almost died this year, I'd just be happy with everyone being healthy, happy is a bonus, but healthy is a good start! That and better hospital food ;)

14. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

funny thing: i am taking AP econ right now and we were just talking about this- gifts to give someone.
    one one one hand, it seems like the receiver will be slightly saddened if you get them a gift card as its so small. but if you do get them an actual item they might not like it.

best thing to do is get a giftcard, but not from a specific location. just get them a visa giftcard! makes life easier for you and the gift receiver!

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/prepaid/visa_gift_card.html

15. Tyler76 macrumors member

Tyler76

practical wish, hope it comes true. :)

16. campaignin macrumors newbie

what to get a man who has everything

My wife got me this richard petty racing experience