Christmas... What'd you get? Who'd you spend it with?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wvuwhat, Dec 24, 2008.

1. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Well, I live in a unorthodox family. We celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve. Since I was a kid, my dad and step-mom did this and Christmas day is the day I spend with my mother and her family.

I didn't think I was going to make it home this year, school and work was hectic, but I made the 3 hour trip back home to Virginia. I'm now sitting here working off a ham lunch (and inevitable leftovers for dinner). Got to see some family that I haven't seen in years (10+). Overall it was a very enjoyable Christmas, but it's back to reality next week.

My father knew I just bought a new television, so he went ahead and got me a Playstation 3, with blu-rays (Iron Man, Kill Bill 1 and 2, Dark Knight), some games (Guitar Hero and COD:5) and my stepmom chipped in with a Sony soundbar, which is AWESOME. I've actually been looking at this thing for a while now and it was the perfect gift. I can't wait to get back home and mess around with it. And my Golden Retriever is loving his 3 foot + bone that "grandma" bought him.

So, to those that celebrate early, how was your Christmas? And for those that are actually celebrating on the real Christmas, what are your plans?

Have a Merry Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mod's Edit: Pictures of Christmas presents and gifts.

:)

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I celebrated Monday with my wife since she's leaving for work today. Cooked up some dinner, listened to some Nat King Cole, and opened presents.

I got a Canon Digital Elph. She got a full day of pampering at a spa in Newport. It was a good Christmas! :)

3. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Well in about an hour I'll be leaving to my gramma's then to church at 6 or 7. Come home and open presents with my boyfriend. Then tomorrow morning we're heading off to his parents for 7am then back this way to go to my sister's for brunch and then back to his parents for supper. And to top it all off, I broke my glasses frame today and am walking around with tape, so I have to find time to go to the store and buy super glue :) it'll be hectic but its once a year right?

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As usual I'll be spending it with the family I came into the world with, not the one I'm half constructing. We're both mega big on spending time with our families at Xmas.

I know I'm getting-
    PSP games - Star Ocean, Tomb Raider Legend, LocoRoco 2
    1 or 2 DS games that are a surprise.
    Stalker for PC
    DVDs - Peep Show boxset, Spooks series 6.

Got games and films for everyone else too.

The big day will be at home and taking dinner to my gran. Boxing day at aunts where we're having a big family gettogether. Heh, we see each other all the time so it's nothing special but it's nice to finally go to someone elses house for a family "do".

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Spending it with the family, sadly my sisters son is coming over on Boxing day so that'll be a nightmare (tear away brat who's been warped by his dad).

I was told to open my first present earlier today by my parents (still xmas eve here), a very nice alarm clock that glows a different colour every hour :) (Old alarm clock died)

My dad's getting me a 360 (old one RROD'd just outside of warranty), which is pretty nice of him, but he said I earnt it, so no guilt felt (I don't like being given expensive presents).

That's all I know, I've made it very clear to my parents I really didn't want anything this year as they've helped out so much with me at uni (financially).

6. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

That's refreshing to read. I'm sure you deserve the 360. Merry Christmas!

7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm going to buy me a PSP at boxing day sales tomorrow *must get up early*

8. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

All I asked for this Christmas were IKEA gift cards, and I know my brother got me one. Very excited. Saving up to buy a "Jonas" desk.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

We're putting it back a day because my Dad's overseas until tomorrow. It's a warm, sunny (soon to be HOT, sunny) Christmas Day here.

Just finished helping Ma cook up all the salads and veggies and stuff (no hot meats here, way too warm for that so it's cold sliced meats with salads and veggies) for the family coming in about 10 minutes for Chrissy lunch.

Should be pretty good.

I'm 26 and haven't lived at home in 8 years so I don't really care about presents and stuff, just nice to be home with those who could make it. Mind you there's a couple of things under the tree with my name on it for tomorrow... :D

Right, time to get moving. Merry Christmas from Down Under everyone, to get a real Aussie Christmas experience turn your heating up to 100°F, pop some shorts and a T-Shirt on and crack open a few cold ones. Pig out on the food, hopefully you've been able to score some fresh seafood though it's highly likely to have sold out and get yourself prepared for a big Boxing Day either sitting in front of the TV watching the Boxing Day Test from the MCG or out braving the hoards of shoppers as you try to return the crappy gifts for good gifts at a much lower price in the sales.

10. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

We always opened gifts on Christmas Eve then ate dinner on Christmas day, but this year my sister has to work tonight so we'll have to do it all tomorrow.

I already know everything I'm getting (I bought it...But it still got wrapped and put under the tree ;)) and I'm still kinda excited about opening gifts.

11. 7254278 macrumors 68020

We open presents after dinner on christmas eve. Every year most of the family comes over to our house for an "Italian Christmas"(I am italian). My uncles aunts and siblings all had dinner at my parents house. Which consisted of Spaghetti with my moms "Christmas Sauce", and a second course mostly consisting of sea food. I adore Xmas, everyone always gets pretty drunk and we have a great laugh.

My presents where the following:

A Duchamp Wallet:

[​IMG]

Black Long Sleeve Polo

[​IMG]

Ted Baker Leather(brown) Gloves and Scarf
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slippers for the house
    [​IMG]

Ted Baker Sweater
    [​IMG]

Moleskine Notebook
    [​IMG]

20 Euros
    [​IMG]

When things are on sale I will probably buy myself a new watch as a christmas present to myself. If it is cheap enough, I like this Hamilton.
    [​IMG]

12. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Jeans, Belts, Jackets, Shirts, Books, An Open CLosed sign for my room, and some lil message scroller thing.

13. coelicolor macrumors newbie

Merry Christmas

i had a dinner with my girl friend and we will have a trip the day after tomorrow for new year. :D:D

14. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I got myself some wine and watched some movies.

15. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

i recently moved across the country so I'm not home for Christmas. I always insist that my family never get me anything as I don't believe presents make a holiday. I'm at work at my group home taking care of some wonderful kids who I get to watch open presents tomorrow morning which is the best thing anyone could ask for. I'd rather watch a child open a present than receive one any day of the week.

16. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

well tonight (Christmas Eve), actually it's 12:01AM so it's Christmas Day but whatever, i spent the night at my Aunt and Uncle's house and i got a nice Polo sweater and a $50 Visa Debit Card//Gift Card which i love getting. but before that we ate a nice prime rib dinner and went to the Christmas Mass that is always good because of their choir.

i'll post my other stuff in about 8 or so hours. :) Merry Christmas//Happy Holidays!

17. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

This was definitely a season of giving for me. Came back to WI for the first time in over a year and spent it with the family. For the first time, I bought all my own Xmas presents, told my parents I needed nothing and was wanting for less, and actually bought them some legitimately nice things they've had they're eye on...gotta love that new job!

For myself:

A Tag Heuer I've had my eye on:
    [​IMG]

A Samsung LN52A650
    [​IMG]

And a new MBP of course:
    [​IMG]

I actually did get these from my production partner and they are awesome, you can use your iPhone, laptop, or iPod with them!:
    [​IMG]

And for my parents:

Dad: A Nikon D60
    Mom: A Kodak wifi digital picture frame and new Garmin GPS

Sisters got handmade Indian cashmere scarves and iPod Touches.

My dog got a new crate for his flights, a bunch of new toys, and 3 days of day care a week for the next month.

Got my girlfriend a handmade cashmere scarf from my trip to Mumbai and some nice legitimate Indian jewelry

I do think they actually got me the full West Wing DVD collection, so that's nice.

18. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

19. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Thanks Badandy,

It's an awesome watch, I LOVE IT!

Nice gadget on your end! That Speedmaster looks awesome as well!

20. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

My family also celebrates on Christmas Eve. But my grandmother likes to give us a Christmas all her own, so more presents tomorrow. (Yep, I'm lucky that way :p)

So far:

Nintendo DS Lite in Cobalt-Black
    [​IMG]
    Guitar Hero on Tour (Unfortunately, it's just the game, so I can't play it yet. I have to go buy the little controller add on sometimes in the next week, I guess.)
    AC/DC - Bonfire boxed set
    A biography on AC/DC
    A Belkin USB powered laptop stand w/ built in fan (Thank God)
    Money
    WALL-E on DVD :)
    Gift Cards

We'll see what tomorrow brings. :)

21. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Spending time with family. Going to Florida to visit the Grandparents on Friday

So far i have gotten:
    Guitar hero: world tour
    Call of duty: World at war
    AC/DC Black ice
    Entourage Season 3 pt 1&2 and season 4
    Banana Republic Sweater
    John Grisham: The Appeal
    The Office Calender

Great Christmas so far, hope everyone else is having a great day!

22. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I got a new MBA, iPod Touch 2nd Gen. 16 GB, Nike+ Experience running shoes, MBA and shoes from my mom, my dad got me the iPod. Tomorrow I don't expect to get much since I already got my gifts a couple weeks prior. My mom wrapped a gift for me under the tree, I hope its a gift card to J. Crew or some kind of clothing store, but if not thats ok. My uncle usually gives me $100 or so.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hot damn :eek:
    Congrats on that! My white DS is now sat in the corner full of shame. :eek:

24. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

I got:

* $150, which is going to buy myself a Jonas desk from IKEA.

* The Office, Season 1

* A really nice pullover

* A thermal (it gets cold here)

* $25 iTunes Gift Card

Overall, it was a pretty good Christmas!!

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Peep Show series 1-5 boxset
    Father Ted definitive collection (mega awesome)
    IT Crowd series 1+2
    Dark Knight
    The Cat Returns
    Stalker (PC game)
    Loco Roco 2, Tomb Raider Legends, Star Ocean (PSP)
    big box o' Celebrations :3