Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past few weeks since Apple's "Spring Forward" event, model and founder of non-profit organization Every Mother Counts Christy Turlington Burns has kept a blog on Apple's official website describing her use of the Apple Watch in helping her prepare for the Virgin Money 2015 London Marathon.

It's about that time...Wish me luck and some speed #everymileeverymother @everymomcounts sub 4hrs #applewatch A photo posted by Christy Turlington Burns (@cturlington) on Apr 26, 2015 at 1:44am PDT​

After finishing the marathon yesterday, Burns posted a time of 3 hours and 46 minutes, flying just under her goal time of 3 hours and 55 minutes (via The Telegraph).

Angled as a seven week build-up to the 2015 London Marathon, Burns' final blog entry was posted last week, also timing itself with the official launch of the Apple Watch last Friday. As Burns mentioned in her latest post for Apple, "as a 46-year-old mom, I'm proud of my under-4-hour goal", even though most "extreme" athletes can get a finish time under the 3 hour mark.

Screenshot-281-800x460.png

Burns used a variety of Apple Watch features over the nearly-two-months she trained for the marathon, from praising the dexterity of the Watch in learning personal stride and workout preferences to the subtle encouragement of filling every activity ring each day.

Although her role in the launch of the Apple Watch can be seen as purely promotional, she did shed some light on unknown features concerning lesser-discussed portions of the Watch's abilities, including the fact that after a few runs paired with an iPhone, the Watch can work independently of the iPhone over time.

Article Link: Christy Turlington Burns Breaks Personal Record at London Marathon

Last edited:

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
Big respect for running with that huge iPhone

Edit: if you google her running , you will always see photographs that are hiding the arm with the iphone in the background while the apple watch is being on front.

Why? A picture is telling more than a hundred words:

ht_apple_watch_turlington_tl_150406.jpg

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Relevance to anything? I mean good for her but why should anyone here care? It's like reporting on the latest ratings for "Grimm" because someone on the show uses an iPhone.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Relevance to anything? I mean good for her but why should anyone here care? It's like reporting on the latest ratings for "Grimm" because someone on the show uses an iPhone.

I suppose the only relevance is her promotional involvement on the Apple Watch. Apple hosts her "personal" blog on their site.

If not for the Apple Watch, none of her success would have been possible! :rolleyes:

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
any bets on how much of an apple 'bonus' was stipulated in her contract to perform such a feat? :D

the apple watch: how supermodels become superheroes.

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
Way to go! I hope I can get in the kind of shape to do something like that one day. Anyways, the biggest thing I got out of this was the bits of tips and tricks she mentioned her in weekly posts about the Apple Watch

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
All that fashionista $$ and she still goes running in a pair of her hubbies boxers. ;)

wouldn't be surprised if 'hubby boxers' are 'in' this season, and those things retail for $120

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Cardio Queen. Too skinny. I prefer the sprinter build myself. This woman is CLEARLY underweight and not a good body image model for women.

Seems like you have to strap alot of gear on you just to run...

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
This woman is CLEARLY underweight and not a good body image model for women.

please. a substantial portion of the female population is skinny-to-very-thin. This woman is CLEARLY a (demonstrably) healthy individual with a low BMI.

Brewsta

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
I thought Breaks was the previous record holder, and Christy burned Breaks' record. I was actually going to rant about the lack of ' after Breaks' name, but luckily I read the article.

"Personal Record", or PR, is an incredibly common term in all forms of running. Christy Turlington Burns broke her personal record. She set a PR. The phrasing is fine.

Cardio Queen. Too skinny. I prefer the sprinter build myself. This woman is CLEARLY underweight and not a good body image model for women.

She just ran a 3 hour and 46 minute marathon. In case you're wondering, that's really good. She qualified for the Boston Marathon by over nine minutes.

It is not possible to store the required energy (glycogen) in your muscles to complete a full marathon. You must train your body to learn how to efficiently burn fat for energy. For Christy to have run such an impressive time in the marathon, she would need to:

a) Train her body to burn fat efficiently
b) Have enough body fat to burn while running twenty six miles and three hundred eighty five yards

It would be difficult, if not impossible to run the marathon as an underweight individual. It would be particularly difficult to do so in such a great time.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Big respect for running with that huge iPhone
Seriously.

Apple should release a companion watch, identical externally to the Apple Watch, but is instead itself a tiny phone with GPS. Just enough guts and software to fully-power the Apple Watch's phone-required features but not itself otherwise be a full-featured iPhone, not from a usability perspective anyway. Then you strap it onto your other wrist for workouts so your Apple Watch isn't gimped without that brick on your arm.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
Seriously.

Apple should release a companion watch, identical externally to the Apple Watch, but is instead itself a tiny phone with GPS. Just enough guts and software to fully-power the Apple Watch's phone-required features but not itself otherwise be a full-featured iPhone, not from a usability perspective anyway. Then you strap it onto your other wrist for workouts so your Apple Watch isn't gimped without that brick on your arm.

Or just a wristband that enables GPS on the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.