Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today rolled out Chrome 90 to its stable channel, introducing automatic preference for HTTPS sites over the HTTP protocol, plus some other notable changes.

chrome-90.jpg

By default, Chrome will now redirect all websites to use the more secure HTTPS protocol. Encrypted using Transport Layer Security (TLS), HTTPS secures communication over networks by authenticating the website and protecting the privacy of data in transit. MacRumors.com has supported HTTPS for some time now.

In addition, Chrome 90 adopts the AV1 codec for optimized video conferencing with WebRTC. The new codec should improve compression efficiency and reduce bandwidth consumption while improving video quality, and improve connectivity on low bandwidth connections. Screen sharing is also said to be more efficient when compared to the VP9 codec.

Elsewhere, users can now hide the Reading List without delving into Chrome's flags. To do so, right-click the Bookmark Bar and deselect the new Show Reading List option at the bottom.

Meanwhile, for developers, Chrome 90 introduces support for CSS overflow, which should help prevent scrolling within a CSS box. Google has also renamed the Feature Policy API to Permission Policy, which lets users adjust the behavior of certain APIs and web features in the browser.

In the previous version of the browser, Chrome 89 introduced Google's live caption transcription feature, which uses machine learning to create a real-time transcription for videos or audio played through the browser.

Google Chrome for Mac is a free download available directly from Google's servers. Google Chrome for iOS is a free download for iPhone and iPad available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Chrome 90 Defaults to HTTPS, Adds AV1 Codec for Optimized Video Conferencing

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Tofupunch

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
I know HSTS has been expanding which helped fill the void but in-built support took too long. At least it’s added now, so that’s great. Will help protect end users and businesses.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Good to see Chrome improving. I still rely on it for a lot of web apps / business SAAS applications which don't render properly in Safari. Similarly with online payments - all too often Safari doesn't work even with all content blocking etc. turned off.

Chrome is far more reliable. But yes, Safari is faster, so in general I'll try Chrome first to see how a site should work, and then once I've established what content should appear in the browser I'll try Safari to see if it renders properly and works as well as Chrome.

wanha

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2020
So... does Safari or Firefox use the AV1 codec? Would have been a useful thing to mention in the article.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
This and the previous version of Chrome now contain FLoC, Google's replacement for cookies. It's slowly being turned on by default. If you value your privacy, the EFF has a website that to check whether it's enabled or not:

qoop

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2021
THE UNITED KINGDOM
I found Chrome to be better with Google Maps in 3D view. Firefox can struggle at times with their implementation. Seeing '90' after anything reminds me of Fame 90.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
Ad blocker. Turn off ads personalization on Google Account settings.

Easy fix. I don't know why people make such a big deal about this.

If 100% of people did this, Google would stop offering the product or disable ad-blocking altogether as it has in mobile Chrome.

As you’re basically working around the product which is you. That’s why it’s a big deal, you’re working around the product design and understating the implications of the business model and its derivatives:

I’ve struggle myself trying to find lightweight Chromium-based alternatives for all the functionality intentionally missing from Google services in Safari, such as the ability to share just one browser Tab or program window on a Google Meet call, or the ability to share the audio from said tab or window. This is just an example.

Heck, up until relatively recently you couldn’t even take Meet/Hangout calls in Safari, even though Safari had implemented the technologies to do so. Proven by the fact that if you changed Safari’s browser agent the sites would work.

ericg301

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
i just switched to Edge this week as an experiment and have pleasantly surprised. Microsoft doesnt beat you down with their services (the way google does with chrome), and dare i say...it feels snappier?

MacinMan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL
I still use chrome from time to time if I want Google specific features such as casting from the Desktop. There are just certain things casting is better for over airplay. For the most part these days though, I use Firefox as my primary browser, then Safari, and then Chrome. So, I really just keep all three browsers for compatibility and the variety of options each offers.

Scipster

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2020
Is it just me, or does this graphic make Chrome look like some sort of virus? Google probably should have chosen better imagery during a pandemic 😅

As a dev, CSS overflow is cool.

That said, I desperately want to move back to Safari, but alas it's missing some of my favorite extensions.

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011
I know HSTS has been expanding which helped fill the void but in-built support took too long. At least it’s added now, so that’s great. Will help protect end users and businesses.
This isn't an attack against you and is rather unrelated, yet tangential to the OP. Do you remember "back in the day" - Chrome now marks all unencrypted websites as ‘not secure’. And how some people were losing their mind over it? Swearing off Chrome or Firefox or Safari because of the warning that they or the users they oversee were going to get this message? Arguing against securing the web?

I just kind of wonder what people who were opposed to Firefox, Chrome, and Safari marking websites as "not secure" are thinking today... Are they still grumpy? Does this make them even grumpier?

planteater

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2020
Is it just me, or does this graphic make Chrome look like some sort of virus? Google probably should have chosen better imagery during a pandemic 😅

As a dev, CSS overflow is cool.

That said, I desperately want to move back to Safari, but alas it's missing some of my favorite extensions.
Chrome is a virus, as is Google. There should be a vaccination for it/them.

grantew1

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Midwest
It’s free because they want your life story, then they sell adverts you’ll love.
That's how free products work, you're the product bro.

Welcome to 2021.

Google isn't the only company to blame for this but if it makes you feel edgy, knock yourself out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.