Chrome cast about to break out of its shell

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Posted via Google+ developer section:

It will be nice to see 3rd party developers be allowed to create content for the Chrome cast. So far, mine has been collecting dust. I want Airplay dammit! :)

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I wish I had use for one to begin with. My TV is collecting dust. :eek: Nice they're finally opening it up though.

3. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

Chromecast for PLEX and I'll officially get rid of basic cable and my TiVo.

4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I'm looking forward to more functionality. I use mine for netflix and Google Play music, but that's about it so far.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Likewise and now HBO GO

6. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Is it worth getting a chromecast if I already have an apple TV? I have an S4, Samsung galaxy tab 2 and a chrome book. Those are the things I'd use it with.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

For just $35 I say yes. And it's the most portable of it's kind. I just ordered one myself.

8. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

How many TVs do you have? I use it on a secondary tv and I love it.

9. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

We have 2 TV's one in the main room and one in our bedroom. I was thinking of just going ahead and ordering one as it's only £35 and can be bought directly from amazon.co.uk now and the chromecast app can now be downloaded from the play store over here.

10. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I have a good feeling that as a XMas present, Google will bring in the New Year with a bunch of brand new apps for the Chromecast. Otherwise, why have the hackathon Dec 8th and not wait til after the holidays? Most of the developers already have apps ready to go for Chromecast, they just couldn't publish them.

I think now is the right time to buy.

11. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

I hope so because my chromecast has been sitting on the shelf ever since I bought it.

So far it has been a complete bust.

----------

It's cool for the occasional Youtube stream or Netflix/Hulu movie but with Google censoring any sort of 3rd party development, it has been quite a letdown.

Hopefully this changes soon.

... Oh yea and Pandora as well

12. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I don't have a Chromecast so someone explain to me what it does and how it works?

Is it like Apple TV which has apps and is well integrated into OSX and iOS, and I can AirPlay everything with native app support and/or mirroring?

13. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

Check what apps it has(netflix is one). You use a device as a remote to kick off the app running streaming whatever you like. You can also mirror what is on a tab in chrome. I use mobile Sunday ticket and send it to the TV using chrome mirror. You can also use chrome to play video/audio files from the network as well.

14. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I bought one early thinking I was going to be able to mirror my iOS devices or Mac, and after some hassle setting it up it didn't.
    For people that travel I see some benefits as it is very portable and easy to connect, even it needs additional power, but the potential is there and just needs more apps…let's see what happens after that event.

15. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

The main benefit it has is being able to start playing a video from your phone or tablet, send it to the Chomecast, then navigate away and use your phone or tablet for something else, or turn it off. No need to maintain the connection from the phone/tablet once it is initiated.

And yes, it is similar to a Roku or Apple TV.

16. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

I have been seeing commercials for the chromecast a lot lately. I hope Google adds more apps to it because its dead simple to use. Amazon and Google drive vids please

17. Ragnarianrok macrumors member

Minus the price.

18. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

And a whole lot of functionality...at least for now. ;)

19. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I just picked one up last week and I love it. It replaced the blu ray in my bedroom, since all I used that for was to stream netflix. Now I have hulu and HBO Go and less clutter near the TV.

Does it do everything an apple tv does? Not even close. But for $35 it's a great gadget that does a lot, more than I would need for a bedroom TV, and knowing google the device will become more open over time.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The few differences between appleTV and chromcast. 1) chromecast works with IOS and android. 2) chromecast does not have apps built into it. You use apps from your phone/tablet, similar to airplay. 3) $35.

You can mirror your chrome browser to the chromecast, but not from a tablet/phone. You need either a windows PC/Mac/or Pixel chromebook to mirror chrome.

21. LIVEFRMNYC, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Second day with Chromecast.

I've used Xbox 360, Roku, Apple TV, and Smart TVs to stream content. On Netflix and Youtube, but especially Netflix, there is always some buffering no matter if it's even for just for a couple of seconds when starting a video.

With Chromecast I was surprised that buffering barely exists. It would only buffer with a weak signal, which is on my TV furthest away from my router. And it still buffered only slightly and still had crisp clear picture. Playing Netflix or Youtube on a weak signal on any other device, I would see poor quality picture, but not on Chromecast. Being that said, Chromecast does disconnect sometimes on a weak signal.

When viewing on my TV which has excellent signal, everything played instantly(no buffer) and flawless. I tried Netflix, Youtube, HBO, and Pandora with no problems.

Chromecasting a Chrome browser tab is a differ story, it sucks. I hope Google improves on this. One thing I like is that you can cast videos, music, and pictures from your desktop(hard drive) via using the Chrome browser as a file manager and just clicking on a pic or video. Videos must be in a certain format though. AVI and MOV formats didn't work, MP4 video formats worked perfectly.

Another thing I noticed. On my phone I have Pandora with the no skip hack. The no skip hack will not work when casting to TV. It will continue to work on your device as soon as you stop casting. I think it's because Chromecast talks to services directly, the app on your device is now just a remote. This means any hacks you have on your device do not apply on Chromecast.

For $35 it's well worth it and is only going to get better. I'm hoping they include the Showtime app next, and also an extension for FireFox browser.

22. Ragnarianrok macrumors member

If there are some black Friday deals for chromecast I think I may pull the trigger.

23. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I think it was Walmart but I might be wrong was dropping them to $29 for BF.

24. Ragnarianrok macrumors member

25. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Awesome. Thanks. I have now picked up an iPad mini fpr $199 (after $100 gift card from Best Buy) and another chromecast for $26 (thanks again Ragnarianrok) and it isn't even Black Friday (much less Thursday) yet! Tell me again why people wait in line?