Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today updated its Chrome app for iOS devices to version 92, introducing a new feature that allows iPhone and iPad users to protect their Incognito tabs with Touch ID, Face ID, or a passcode.

chromelogo.0.jpg

Locked Incognito tabs will not be visible until authenticated after leaving the Chrome app and reopening it, which will prevent someone who gets ahold of your device from viewing your Chrome tabs. To enable this feature, you can go to Settings > Privacy > Lock Incognito tabs. Safari does not have a comparable feature for its Private tabs.

Along with protection for Incognito tabs, Google has also added a feature for taking a screenshot of an entire web page. When taking a screenshot, use the "Full Page" option at the top of the screenshot editor to capture the entire page.

There's also a new Discover design on the New Tab Page, and Settings, History, and Bookmarks have been redesigned. Chrome will now ask for confirmation if you want to close all tabs from the Tab Switcher to prevent accidents, and individual tabs can be shared, bookmarked, and added to a reading list from the Tab Switcher.

Chrome can be downloaded from the iOS App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Chrome for iOS Gains Biometric Authentication for Incognito Tabs

BulkSlash

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
That is a good idea, I’d like to see that in Safari too as I would never use a Google controlled browser.

calys

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2021
Locked Incognito tabs will not be visible until authenticated after leaving the Chrome app and reopening it, which will prevent someone who gets ahold of your device from viewing your Chrome tabs.
finally, nice!
Along with protection for Incognito tabs, Google has also added a feature for taking a screenshot of an entire web page.
also finally, also nice!
Chrome will now ask for confirmation if you want to close all tabs from the Tab Switcher to prevent accidents, and individual tabs can be shared, bookmarked, and added to a reading list from the Tab Switcher.
also also finally, also also nice!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have no trust in Google, sadly some/lots, like the IT guy at my job think otherwise.
Why any business would get their services is beyond my understanding.

OT
I also think that any business using Windows is stupid, there's not a single day with annoyances using Windows.

Reactions: Will Co

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
i feel bad for people that still use google products
I use YouTube and YouTube tv and I like them just fine. On the desktop, I also use chrome and edge, which is based on chrome.

While I also use an iPhone, android is pretty cool too. It brings balance and choice to those who prefer a different ecosystem. I wish the YouTube and YouTubeTV apps on iOS would have the same Picture in Picture functionality that they do on android. There’s room for Google is what I’m saying.

Reactions: Premium1

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Chrome seems superior to Safari in my experience, but perhaps yours is different.

Anyone who goes to YouTube for medical advice is almost certainly looking for validation rather than knowledge. It’s unlikely it makes much of a difference either way.
I've liked Chrome for syncing when companies I work for are on windows. Otherwise Safari and Brave have been the best for me.

Anyone who takes medical advice from TV doctors who haven't been practicing for decades is looking for validation as well. Talk to your doctor! If they give you a political opinion, talk to another! Only someone who understands your medical history can accurately assess what you need, whether it's regarding vaccines, or a colonoscopy.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
I've liked Chrome for syncing when companies I work for are on windows. Otherwise Safari and Brave have been the best for me.

Anyone who takes medical advice from TV doctors who haven't been practicing for decades is looking for validation as well. Talk to your doctor! If they give you a political opinion, talk to another! Only someone who understands your medical history can accurately assess what you need, whether it's regarding vaccines, or a colonoscopy.
I generally use Safari for keychain sites, Chrome to sync if I use Windows, and Edge for specific tasks I want to keep grouped. Brave and Firefox are random Windows options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.