Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today introduced Chrome 90 for iPhones, iPads, and the iPod touch, adding support for new Search and Dino widgets on devices running a version of iOS 14.

chrome-widget.jpg

There are three separate Chrome widgets available. There's a two tile search interface that lets you conduct a quick search with quick access to voice search and incognito mode, a single tile search widget, and a shortcut to play the Chrome Dino game.

chrome-widget-2.jpg

Chrome widgets can be added to the Home Screen on the iPhone by pressing down on the display and tapping the "+" in the upper left corner, or to the Notification Center by swiping over to widgets, selecting the edit option, and then tapping the "+" button. Note that you need to open the Chrome app after updating for the widget options to appear.

According to Google, the Chrome 90 update also introduces an option to edit saved usernames and passwords in Chrome settings. Chrome 90 for Mac was released in April.

Article Link: Chrome for iOS Gains Widget Support With Version 90 Release

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
I’d like to have a search widget for Safari, I wonder if developers are allowed to make one and integrate it with Safari.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
Oh no!! That Steve widget that can be played in widgets is gonna get a big hit.

I’ll still keep it on my phone instead of Google chrome though because of the lack of.. Google it brings to the table.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
is there an ad-blocker for Chrome on iOS?
No, but you can use the AdGuard app as a VPN, which will block ads across every app in iOS, or you can use NordVPN with CyberSec, which will also block ads across the entire device. Or you can switch to Edge or Brave, which have ad-blocking built into the apps themselves on iOS.

haleyp

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2018
For Chrome on iOS I like tab syncing but it's full of ads and no reader mode, which I use constantly to read white on black, which means most pixels are off rather than at max brightness.

Reactions: haruhiko

DeepWebinar

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2020
I like when Google does something new with their apps so I can research what new ways they’ve come up with to track their users. :)

Reactions: haruhiko

Popple

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
I’d like to have a search widget for Safari, I wonder if developers are allowed to make one and integrate it with Safari.

Can you expand on this? What would this give you that searching via Spotlight (that can open Safari) doesn't?

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
Can you expand on this? What would this give you that searching via Spotlight (that can open Safari) doesn't?
I don't think many people know about the Spotlight Safari search. I don't think Apple has really touted it. Ditto with Spotlight on Mac.

iAFC

Suspended
Sep 24, 2005
Western Civilization
I only use Chrome to read Finnish websites with English translation. Other than that, it’s just terrible. I wish Safari would support more language translations.

Reactions: skir

dabi

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2021
EU
Google bashing always amazes me. I’ve been using Google services for almost 15 years now. I haven’t died yet.
Yep, people are so obsessed with privacy, as if it mattered which specific corporation knows everything about you, it's kinda funny. Google, Apple, Microsoft, it's all the same. But whatever, we use what we prefer.

Reactions: ervingv and SirithX

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Yep, people are so obsessed with privacy, as if it mattered which specific corporation knows everything about you, it's kinda funny. Google, Apple, Microsoft, it's all the same. But whatever, we use what we prefer.

That’s kinda my point. I love and use Google services daily. I fully well know all my search history is stored somewhere. Guess what, I don’t care.

I know they read my emails, again it’s free I don’t care. I just don’t anymore.

The services Google offers, they do it the best, and it makes my life better.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Lmao like you don’t use Google search and YouTube.

I have not used google search in many years, I'm guessing at least 10, I use DDG for everything. I use youtube but only in private windows as to minimize what it can see.

You may not care about them collecting, tracking and selling YOU but I do and actively try to minimize their chances of collecting, tracking and selling ME.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.